Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: How do you get the Bandwidth Monitor to display the Dial-up connections activity  (Read 38826 times)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
OK lets see how this one goes.  :wink:

Shane

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

King

Hello Shane & Evan

Ok Evan, you said:
“The Simple Internet Meter Lite (SIM-L).exe that Shane provided isn't a stand alone program.  What you need to do is go to the directory where your current SIM-L.exe (I'm not sure on the exact name as I don't have it on this computer) is located and replace it with the file Shane just provided.

Make sure you have it in the same directory and then you can start SIM-L as usual.  The "new" version will run it's place but it won't work correctly if you don't place it in the correct area.  There are other files that the program needs to reference.”

Did as requested by placing each of the “simplemeter.exe v2.1.2 Beta for Simple Internet Meter Light” that you provided in turn into C:\Program Files\Simple Internet Meter Lite\   this subdirectory.  Then did the testing.

On my computer that location is:

C:\Program Files\Simple Internet Meter Lite\simplemeter.exe   2,304 KB 1/7/2010   1:07 AM

C:\Program Files\Simple Internet Meter Lite\simplemeter.exe   2,304 KB 1/9/2010   11:48 AM

Tested both of these new “simplemeter.exe” you get the same results for both.

The list of Adapters is as follows:

Select Adapter:

Adapter for generic dialup and VPN Capture --Mac:00:
WAN (PP/SLIP) Interface --Mac:00:00:00:00:00:00
Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection (Microsoft
Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet S
WAN (PP/SLIP) Interface

Selected each adapter in turn starting at the top of this list and working my way down to the last entry.  Here are the results:

When you Select: “Adapter for generic dialup and VPN Capture --Mac:00:” You get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I wasn’t able to load your adapter information.  It may have been removed or disabled.  Please choose another adapter.”

When you Select: “WAN (PP/SLIP) Interface --Mac:00:00:00:00:00:00” You get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I wasn’t able to load your adapter information.  It may have been removed or disabled.  Please choose another adapter.”

When you Select: “Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection (Microsoft”
You get:   Running . . . and the “Network Traffic Speed Graph” has constant “Network Sent Speed” value.

When you Select: “Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet S”
You get:   Running . . . and the “Network Traffic Speed Graph” has constant “Network Sent Speed” value.

When you Select: “WAN (PP/SLIP) Interface” You get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I can’t get winPcap to locate the adapter.  Please refresh the adapter list and make sure you have WinPcap v4 or higher installed.   OK”

This test result says:

The you have to compare the list of defined variables of WinPcap 3.1 verse the list of defined variables of WinPcap 4.02 verse what are the variables that Simple Internet Meter Lite expects to receive from either WinPcap 3.1 or WinPcap 4.02 and in what order ?

There appears to be one or more variables not in the correct order or the request for information from WinPcap 3.1 or WinPcap 4.02 is not complete and / or correct in either case Shane will have to make the required correction to Simple Internet Meter Lite.

Based on what Shane has said about Simple Internet Meter Lite one can see that Simple Internet Meter Lite displays on the screen the information given to it by WinPcap 3.1 or WinPcap 4.02 .

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Looks like progress :-)
The "Adapter for generic dialup and VPN Capture" didn't show up before. Each adapter you see that has MAC: at the end of it is added by winpcap. (I did this so I can tell)

So that is the one you want (Adapter for generic dialup and VPN Capture).

I will make some changes tomorrow and have the program listen to it instead of giving that error.
As long as you have winpcap 3 installed and the network monitor driver we talked about I should get this to work now that the dial up is showing up :-) Just a few small changes to go.

There isn't much I need to do in the program, I don't need to change what info it pulls from winpcap. My program uses a dll to talk with winpcap, so if there is problems and it has to do with the dll there isn't anything I can do. So lets just keep our fingers crossed that isn't the case. I didn't write the dll so I can't change it.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

For WinPcap 4.02 you get:

Before you connect to the ISP & the Internet the list of Adapters is as follows:

Select Adapter:

After you connect to the ISP & the Internet the list of Adapters is as follows:

Select Adapter:

WAN (PP/SLIP) Interface

Did a retest.  Still get these results:

When you Select: “Adapter for generic dialup and VPN Capture --Mac:00:” You get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I wasn’t able to load your adapter information.  It may have been removed or disabled.  Please choose another adapter.”

When you Select: “WAN (PP/SLIP) Interface --Mac:00:00:00:00:00:00” You get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I wasn’t able to load your adapter information.  It may have been removed or disabled.  Please choose another adapter.”

When you Select: “WAN (PP/SLIP) Interface” You get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I can’t get winPcap to locate the adapter.  Please refresh the adapter list and make sure you have WinPcap v4 or higher installed.   OK”

For WinPcap 3.1 you get:

Before you connect to the ISP & the Internet the list of Adapters is as follows:

Select Adapter:

Generic dialup adapter --Mac: 00:00:00:00:00:00
Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection (Microsoft’s P
Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Sche

After you connect to the ISP & the Internet the list of Adapters is as follows:

Select Adapter:

Generic dialup adapter --Mac:00:00:00:00:00:00
Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection (Microsoft’s P
Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Sche
WAN (PP/SLIP) Interface

Did a retest.  Still get these results:

When you Select: “Generic dialup adapter --Mac: 00:00:00:00:00:00” You get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I wasn’t able to load your adapter information.  It may have been removed or disabled.  Please choose another adapter.”

Just so your clear on the results when having WinPcap 3.1 installed verse when having WinPcap 4.02 installed.

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
OK new test :-)

Make sure WinPcap 3.1 is installed, v4 doesn't support dial up.

Use this new exe, and choose dial up adapter. Also make sure the Microsoft network monitor is installed.

Let me know how this test goes and how far we get.

Shane

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

Shane said:   “Also make sure the Microsoft network monitor is installed.”

Ok.  How do you check to make sure the Microsoft network monitor is installed.

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Back in this post :-)
http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,995.msg3837.html#msg3837

I found this

To install it, select the Add / Remove Programs option from the server’s Control Panel. When you do, Windows will display the Add / Remove programs dialog box. Click the Add / Remove Windows Components button, and after a brief delay, Windows will launch the Windows Components Wizard. Scroll through the list of available components until you locate the Management and Monitoring Tools option. Select Management and Monitoring (don’t select the check box), and click the Details button. Windows will now reveal a list of the various management and monitoring tools. Select the Network Monitor Tools check box and click OK. Now, click Next and follow the prompts to complete the installation process.

If that doesn't work this should
http://www.ehow.com/how_4527781_install-network-monitor-driver-windows.html

Shane

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

With WinPcap 3.1 installed you get:

Did the requested update.

Testing done AFTER making the update and BEFORE doing a RESTART you get:

Was:   “Base this on the fact that IP Address changed in value and the Network Traffic Speed Graph has never displayed the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) and the Network Sent Speed data has always been a constant unchanging value (a red line).  The facts are that both the Network Sent Speed data (a red line) and the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) change in value all the time as seen on Windows XP Dial-up Status Monitor.”

Is:   Base this on the fact that IP Address changed in value and the Network Traffic Speed Graph still does not displayed the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) and the Network Sent Speed data is not now being displayed, no more constant unchanging value (a red line).  The facts are that both the Network Sent Speed data (a red line) and the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) change in value all the time as seen on Windows XP Dial-up Status Monitor.”

When you Select: “Generic dialup adapter --Mac: 00:00:00:00:00:00” You get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I wasn’t able to load your adapter information.  It may have been removed or disabled.  Please choose another adapter.   OK” Click on OK.

This Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I wasn’t able to load your adapter information.  It may have been removed or disabled.  Please choose another adapter.   OK” Click on OK four or more times.

When you click on “Start” you get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “Error: 5   Invalid procedure call or argument    OK”    Click on OK. Only once and “Starting . . .” is displayed.

Testing done AFTER making the update and AFTER doing a RESTART you get:

Was:   “Base this on the fact that IP Address changed in value and the Network Traffic Speed Graph has never displayed the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) and the Network Sent Speed data has always been a constant unchanging value (a red line).  The facts are that both the Network Sent Speed data (a red line) and the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) change in value all the time as seen on Windows XP Dial-up Status Monitor.”

Is:   Base this on the fact that IP Address changed in value and the Network Traffic Speed Graph still does not displayed the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) and the Network Sent Speed data is not now being displayed, no more constant unchanging value (a red line).  The facts are that both the Network Sent Speed data (a red line) and the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) change in value all the time as seen on Windows XP Dial-up Status Monitor.”

When you Select: “Generic dialup adapter --Mac: 00:00:00:00:00:00” You get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “I wasn’t able to load your adapter information.  It may have been removed or disabled.  Please choose another adapter.  OK”  Click on OK.  A t least ten times or more times.

When you click on “Start” you get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that says: “Error: 5   Invalid procedure call or argument    OK”    Click on OK. Only once and “Starting . . .” is displayed.

Shane said:   “There isn't much I need to do in the program, I don't need to change what info it pulls from winpcap. My program uses a dll to talk with winpcap, so if there is problems and it has to do with the dll there isn't anything I can do. So lets just keep our fingers crossed that isn't the case. I didn't write the dll so I can't change it.”

Have a question for Shane.  Just how can you create a program that displays on the screen the information  provided by this dll without knowing the list of variables of this dll ?

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
WinPcap isn't made to work with VB6. Which is what my program is in. So I use a 3rd party dll that works with VB6 and works with WinPcap. This allows my program to work with WinPcap. I didn't write the DLL so I have no control over it or its code.

I would have to say at this point Dial up just isn't going to work with Simple Internet Meter. You need to use CS Fire Monitor. That uses the windows API, so if I need to make changes to it I can  :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

Shane said:   “I would have to say at this point Dial up just isn't going to work with Simple Internet Meter. You need to use CS Fire Monitor. That uses the windows API, so if I need to make changes to it I can  ”

As of now CS Fire Monitor that is loaded on my computer does not see the Dial up modem.  Looks like Shane will be making changes to CS Fire Monitor to make Dial up work.

Shane said:   “WinPcap isn't made to work with VB6. Which is what my program is in. So I use a 3rd party dll that works with VB6 and works with WinPcap. This allows my program to work with WinPcap. I didn't write the DLL so I have no control over it or its code.”

The 3rd party DLL you used was for Ethernet “Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection (Microsoft’s P” and “Intel (R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Sche”.  This 3rd party DLL you used was for Ethernet ONLY.
   Is there a 3rd party DLL for that you can use for Dial up ?   [Generic dialup adapter --Mac:00:00:00:00:00:00 or WAN (PP/SLIP) Interface] My guess is that their should be a DLL for looking at the content of what is sent over Dial Up as this existed long before the Ethernet.  You should look around and see what is available in this regard.  Another choice is to write version of  “Simple Internet Meter Lite” that is only for Dial Up. 
                 Next question is:   What software (as in a DLL) is available for you to use to monitor a Dial Up connection to one’s ISP ?  As there are Bandwidth Monitor programs that work on dial up, that means there is software (as in a DLL) that works on dial up.

Thank you,
                 King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Not sure on the DLL for dial up.
This thread has become rather long. Since I will be focusing this on cs fire monitor now lets start a new thread there and continue :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

Shane said:   “This thread has become rather long. Since I will be focusing this on cs fire monitor now lets start a new thread there and continue ”

OK, let us continue on cs fire monitor with a new thread . Give me the details of doing this.   What do you want to call that cs fire monitor’s  new thread ?

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Call it what ever you like lol
how about "Dial up & cs fire monitor"

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

Shane said:   “How about "Dial up & cs fire monitor"”

Sounds good to me. Then it shall be called “Dial up & CS Fire Monitor - API”

Thank you,
                 King

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
For anyone following this thread here a link to the new thread: Dial up & CS Fire Monitor - API.

Enjoy!

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

PcWinTech.com Forums

email