Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: How do you get the Bandwidth Monitor to display the Dial-up connections activity  (Read 40935 times)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Well lets try to get things working, if your on XP then WinPcap should handle the PPP connection, lets try to find out why it isn't.

Q-25: I'm trying to capture from my dialup(PPP) connection with WinPcap 3.1beta, but I cannot (capture from)/see any PPP adapter. What's the problem (this information applies to 2000/XP/2003 only)?

A: First of all, WinPcap 3.1 uses the Microsoft NetMon driver to capture from dialup and VPN connection. This driver is installed automatically with the WinPcap setup. You can see this driver by looking at the properties of each network card or dialup connection (tab "General" or "Networking", depending on the adapter, it's listed as "Network Monitor Driver"). If you have accidentally removed this driver from your machine, you can reinstall it by issuing the following command (with administrator privileges) from the WinPcap installation folder, which is \Program Files\WinPcap:

NetMonInstaller.exe i

Secondly, in order to capture, you must have "Power Users" or "Administrators" privileges on Windows 2000 and XP, and "Power Users + Network Configuration Operations" or "Administrators" privileges on Windows Server 2003. If you do not have such privileges, WinPcap 3.1beta will list such adapters, but you won't be able to open them (with pcap_openXXX or PacketOpenAdapter).

So first thing I would like you to do is go to the properties of your dial connection do you see "Network Monitor Driver"? If not we need to install it.

Then after it is installed start the ppp connection. now start Simple Internet Meter.
Try to start the monitor for each adapter, let me know which one you can start it on that doesn't give you an error.

Shane

(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

King

Hello Shane

You asked:   “So first thing I would like you to do is go to the properties of your dial connection do you see "Network Monitor Driver"? If not we need to install it.”

Here is what Windows XP has under Dial-Up Properties’s Networking TAB:
“Type of dial-up server I am calling: PPP: Windows 95/98/NT4/200, Internet”;
“This connection uses the following items:
these boxes are checked “Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)”; “QoS Packet Scheduler”
And
these boxes are not checked “File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks”; “Client for Microsoft Networks”   ”

Here is what Windows XP has under Dial-Up Properties’s General TAB:
“Connect using: Modem - U.S. Robotices 56K FAX EXT (COM1); Phone number   Phone number: xxxxxxx; “Show icon in notification area when connected’s Box is checked”   ”

Just what words show up in the Dial-Up Properties’s Box when the "Network Monitor Driver" is installed.  Checked the Add & Remove Programs’ list for "Network Monitor Driver" and it is not listed their.

Did a Google search for “Dial-up Connection Network Monitor Driver” found the Microsoft Knowledge Base articles on this subject.

“If you have accidentally removed this driver from your machine, you can reinstall it by issuing the following command (with administrator privileges) from the WinPcap installation folder, which is \Program Files\WinPcap:

NetMonInstaller.exe i

Secondly, in order to capture, you must have "Power Users" or "Administrators" privileges on Windows 2000 and XP,”

Checked the \Program Files\WinPcap folder there is NO “NetMonInstaller.exe” program is that folder as of this post.  This is what caused this problem. The installation process did not install the Dial-up Connection’s “Network Monitor Driver” to began with.   Please review what the install process does and make sure that the “Network Monitor Driver” is installed and where it should be installed.  Please reply back with the exact path and file name of the “Network Monitor Driver” that  Simple Internet Meter Lite uses.  Plan to check that location first.  Just make sure that the installer program puts all of the required files in the correct locations and that should fix the missing “Network Monitor Driver” problem.  Please reply back with a link to the location where you put the update to Simple Internet Meter Lite for download and testing.

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
I found this

To install it, select the Add / Remove Programs option from the server’s Control Panel. When you do, Windows will display the Add / Remove programs dialog box. Click the Add / Remove Windows Components button, and after a brief delay, Windows will launch the Windows Components Wizard. Scroll through the list of available components until you locate the Management and Monitoring Tools option. Select Management and Monitoring (don’t select the check box), and click the Details button. Windows will now reveal a list of the various management and monitoring tools. Select the Network Monitor Tools check box and click OK. Now, click Next and follow the prompts to complete the installation process.

If that doesn't work this should
http://www.ehow.com/how_4527781_install-network-monitor-driver-windows.html

SHane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

Followed the directions at:  http://www.ehow.com/how_4527781_install-network-monitor-driver-windows.html which installed the “Network Monitor Driver”.

Started the  “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program and selected the “WAN (PPP/SLP) Interface” then clicked on “Start”, which generated a dialog box.

The Dialog Box of “Simple Internet Meter Lite” reports “I can’t get WinPcap to locate the adpater.  Please refresh the adapter list and make sure you have WinPcap v4 or higher installed.”

“Simple Internet Meter Lite” only sees the “Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport” adapter and not the “WAN (PPP/SLP) Interface” adapter, which should be the dial-up modem.

Which older version of WinPcap works for this configuration ?  If there is one, then how do you install that older version ?

Thank you,
                 King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Ok go to add/remove programs and uninstall winpcap 4.
Download 3.1
http://www.winpcap.org/archive/3.1-WinPcap.exe

install it and give it another run.

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

First, Downloaded WinPcap 3.1 from: http://www.winpcap.org/archive/3.1-WinPcap.exe
Second, Removed WinPcap 4.02 .
Third, Installed WinPcap 3.1 .
Fourth, Started the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program.
Fifth, Connected the Dial-up modem to the ISP
Sixth, Refreshed the Adapter List on the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program and selected “WAN (PPP/SLP) Interface” .  Noted the IP Address changed value.
Seventh, Clicked on Start, then the “I can’t get WinPcap to locate the adpater.  Please refresh the adapter list and make sure you have WinPcap v4 or higher installed.”  Dialog Box is displayed.

Looks like some information is being passed between WinPcap 3.1 and Simple Internet Meter Lite.  Just that the program is having problem with the order and type of variables that are passed between these two programs.  Either variables are not in the correct order and/or variable types do not match.  As in integer vs. single precision vs. double precision numbers or vs. character variables in WinPcap 3.1 are not of the correct type or in the correct order for Simple Internet Meter Lite or some of both conditions maybe the case.  Base this on the fact that IP Address changed in value and the Network Traffic Speed Graph has never displayed the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) and the Network Sent Speed data has always been a constant unchanging value (a red line).  The facts are that both the Network Sent Speed data (a red line) and the Network Receive Speed data (a green line) change in value all the time as seen on Windows XP Dial-up Status Monitor.  What is seen on the Dial-up Status Monitor is not presently being seen on the Network Traffic Speed Graph of Simple Internet Meter Lite.  My guess is that when WinPcap went from version 3.1 to version 4.02 that there has been a change in what information is collected by that program, also that the variables and there order have been changed as well.  This information about WinPcap is reflected in which versions Microsoft Windows are supported and to what extent that support does go. The maker of WinPcap should have a detailed explanation of what information is available from version 3.1 and version 4.02 in their documentation of WinPcap for programer's to use.  Base on the test just made, what is required next is a review of what information is available from WinPcap an under what conditions vs. what information Simple Internet Meter Lite expects to receive from WinPcap.

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
When I have time I will get virtual pc up and running and install XP on it. WinPcap 3.1 wont install on Windows 7. Once I have it running I can test and see what it is pulling.

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

When will Shane make some time to get Virtual PC up and running and install XP on it. WinPcap 3.1 does not install on Windows 7.  So that Shane can test and see what WinPcap 3.1 is pulling. 

The other option is to compare the list of defined variables of WinPcap 3.1 verse the list of defined variables of WinPcap 4.02 .  Shane what are the variables that Simple Internet Meter Lite expects to receive from either WinPcap 3.1 or WinPcap 4.02 and in what order ? Based on what Shane has said about Simple Internet Meter Lite one can see that Simple Internet Meter Lite display on the screen the information given to it by WinPcap 3.1 or WinPcap 4.02 .  There appears to be one or more variables not in the correct order or the request for information from WinPcap 3.1 or WinPcap 4.02 is not complete and / or correct in either case Shane will have to make the required correction to Simple Internet Meter Lite. How long will it be before Shane makes the required correction to Simple Internet Meter Lite ?

Thank you,
                 King

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 05:02:14 PM by Shane »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Been busy with the site and the holidays :-)

I have some other fixes I need to address in the program first.
I don't have the virtual pc installed yet, I have to get my hands on a modem and a dial up account first. Its the only way for me to test. But I am not going to pay for a dial up account lol, so I need to find one of those free to try things. First is to get a modem. Don't come across they very much any more. I may need to order one, should be cheap.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
I may not need to go through all the trouble. I think I know of a solution.

First

/!\ The installed WinPcap version is critical for PPP capturing; we strongly recommend that you install the 3.1 release, see the WinPcap page for details.

If you're having problems, and aren't running WinPcap 3.1 (i.e., you're running a beta release of 3.1, or are running a release before 3.1), un-install whatever you have and install 3.1!

Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows Me: the device on which you capture will probably have a name with "NDISWAN" in it. (If a Windows 95/98/Me user finds that's not the case, they should update this item to give the correct information.) The WinPcap FAQ item notes that, on Windows 95, due to a Windows bug, WinPcap can sometimes reset the connection, and that this bug appears to be fixed in Windows 98 and Windows Me.

Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003: you should be able to capture on the "GenericDialupAdapter" with WinPcap 3.1.
    * Windows NT 4.0 and Windows Vista Beta 1: capturing on PPP interfaces isn't supported on these Windows versions

As that shows WinPcap 3.1 will show PPP as GenericDialupAdapter
My program lists the network connections by the Windows API then takes that info and tries to find it with WinPcap.

The solution might be to use both to show the list. I will run some test but I will need you to be the main tester.

You up for it?

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
I also forgot to say how the program finds it.

First the program loads the drop down box with the network names that comes from the Windows API.
Then when you try to start the monitor the program takes the hardware address of the adapter and looks for it in the list of adapters from winpcap. When it finds a match of the hardware address it selects it.

So as you can see the dial up connection may not be showing up right with the windows api and doesn't find the right one with winpcap.

So I want to make a test for you and see what adapters winpcap pulls instead of the windows api.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Ok I have our first test run.

I have attached v2.1.2 Beta for Simple Internet Meter Light.
Replaced the installed exe with this one.

What I changed in this is now the program loads the drop down list of adapters from both the Windows API and WinPcap.

Lets see how they goes for us.  :wink:

Shane
« Last Edit: January 08, 2010, 06:57:43 PM by Shane »

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

Shane said:   “The solution might be to use both to show the list. I will run some test but I will need you to be the main tester.   You up for it?”

Yes.

1st       Downloaded:   Shane simplemeter_lite_v2.1.2_beta.zip (803.78 kB - downloaded 0 times.)

2nd       Unziped:   “simplemeter_lite_v2.1.2_beta.zip (803.78 kB - downloaded 0 times.)”

3rd       Used the Start Menu’s Run on Shane’s simplemeter_lite_v2.1.2_beta.exe

4th       The program does not install at all.  Instead you get a Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” Error: 339   Component ‘PacketX.dll’ or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file is missing or invalid Please reinstall the program or replace the missing file.    OK

Please correct as required and attached the next version of “v2.1.2 Beta for Simple Internet Meter Light.”

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
King,

The Simple Internet Meter Lite (SIM-L).exe that Shane provided isn't a stand alone program.  What you need to do is go to the directory where your current SIM-L.exe (I'm not sure on the exact name as I don't have it on this computer) is located and replace it with the file Shane just provided.

Make sure you have it in the same directory and then you can start SIM-L as usual.  The "new" version will run it's place but it won't work correctly if you don't place it in the correct area.  There are other files that the program needs to reference.

Let me know if I wasn't clear enough with that explanation.  :smiley:

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
OK this is working fine for me on Windows 7, but on a test XP machine I setup its not. Let me get it fixed and I will post a new exe to test with.  :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums