Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: How do you get the Bandwidth Monitor to display the Dial-up connections activity  (Read 40077 times)

King

How do you get the Bandwidth Monitor to display the Dial-up connections activity for Simple Internet Meter Lite ?

Tried to change Adapter to: WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface and click on “Start”

You get the Dialog Box “Simple Internet Meter Lite” I can’t get WinPcap to locate the adapter.  Please refresh the adapter list and make sure you have WinPcap v4 or higher installed.

Do have “winpcap-nmap 4.02" installed.  When you refresh the adapter list you get this error message:  “I can’t get WinPcap to locate the adapter.  Please refresh the adapter list and make sure you have WinPcap v4 or higher installed.”

Help Please.

Thank you, 

King

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
I don't have dial up so I never had a chance to test that. What you need to do is make the dial up connection first. Then on the adapter list is a refresh button, it will grab all the connections again. See if the dial up shows up in there. It may show up as a PPP connection, been so long since I did anything for dial up!

let me know how it goes.  :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

King

Did that already.  You get “WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface” as a selection.  When you click on “Start” you get “I can’t get WinPcap to locate the adapter.  Please refresh the adapter list and make sure you have WinPcap v4 or higher installed.”

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Not sure. My program loads the adapter list then loads WinPcap and tries to find the adapter with it. So the program sees it but winpcap may not.

Download my old cs fire monitor program. It has a bandwidth monitor in it as well but uses the windows api instead. That I know will work with dial up (I made that program 5 years ago lol)

See what luck you have with that. I will check the WinPcap website on what they say about dial up.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
King,

We will definately look into making sure that SIM Lite handles dial up correctly.  Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

Here is the link for CS Fire Monitor (you can also find it at our main site: www.pcwintech.com)

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-25

See if this helps, if not CS Fire Monitor will take care of you.  :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

Here is the link for CS Fire Monitor (you can also find it at our main site: www.pcwintech.com)

This is version 3.0.1 of CS Fire Monitor.

Just for your information CS Fire Monitor version 3.0.1 was the first program that was installed and was where this first occurred.  Then Simple Internet Meter Lite was installed next.  You get the same result with either CS Fire Monitor version 3.0.1 or Simple Internet Meter Lite .

Looked at http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-25

Do have “winpcap-nmap 4.02" installed.  Just were on Windows XP do you check for the Microsoft NetMon driver ?

Please let me know when you may have a fix for this problem or a way around the problem.

Thank you,
                 King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
CS Fire monitor shouldn't have the problem, it doesn't things completely different.
Do this, start the dial up connection. Then open CS Fire monitor. Go to settings and the bandwidth monitor. Add the dial up connection to cs fire monitor and then restart cs fire monitor. From then all you just have to make sure the dial up connection is going BEFORE you start cs fire monitor.

If you have any way of getting on a high speed connection we can always get on msn or yahoo and I can take a look. Cant really do that with dial up lol

Let me know how it goes.  :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

For “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1”, did the following:

1)   Deleted the “Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport” as the “Default Adapter to show in Graph:”

This then caused  the “Default Adapter to show in Graph:”  to go to the “MS TCP Loopback interface”, that is when the Dail-up connection data was displayed on the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1's” Main Graph.

2)   Tested the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program, still doing:                                                                                                                                                            You get “WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface” as a selection.  When you click on “Start” you get “I can’t get WinPcap to locate the adapter.  Please refresh the adapter list and make sure you have WinPcap v4 or higher installed.”

First possible solution would be to give the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program the same ability/method that the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program uses to select the Default Adapter.

Second possible solution would be to have the Dail-up connection be given it’s own display graph with a hide/unhide option and give ethernet adapter cards and other network interface cards there own display graph with a hide/unhide option.  For computers with one or more ethernet adapter cards or other network interface cards have the option of selecting any given adapter card to be displayed on a single graph (each card to have it’s own color) or a display graph for each adapter card.  Give each adapter card a display graph of it’s own and to include a hide/unhide option as well. These are some of the choices you have.

Present work around is to delete the“Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport” adapter card as a choice on the “Default Adapter to show in Graph:” ‘s list.  Doing this only leaves to Dail-Up connection information in place to be used.

My guess is neither the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program or the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program were tested on a computer with both a dial-up connection and ethernet connection as the same time.  You have to remember that a DSL Line from a ISP includes as backup a dial-up connection for use both at home and for when you travel away from home.  This is for those of us that have a shoe box computer or older laptop computer.

Based on your replies on this problem.  It looks to me that you have given careful consideration to the standard configuration that is in common use at the present time by the nominal user.  Do not expect you to cover all possible configurations.  You should consider including  the configurations that an advance user / power user are most likely to have configured there computer’s too.

1)   Question in “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” how do you reduce the display area given to the “Bandwidth Monitor:” and increase the display area used by the graph ?

2)   Question in “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” how do you get the main display area graph  to show a composite of all the “Monitors” that have there data displayed in the form of a graph ?

Please let me know when you plan on having the changes to either the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program or the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program made and available for download.  With this information you should have what you require to correct the problem in both programs.  Happy programming.  Is there anything else, you require.  Will be checking back on this Forum for your reply.

Thank you,
                  King

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
First possible solution would be to give the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program the same ability/method that the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program uses to select the Default Adapter.

I am thinking about redoing Simple Internet Meter lite. I had made the standard version first (The only program I currently sale) And because it was the only program I sold out of all my free ones I felt guilty LOL. So I made the lite version. I basically took the standard, removed a few things and thus we have the Lite version. The ONLY reason I use WinPcap is to tell what is local traffic and what is internet traffic. Well since Im not doing this in the lite version then I could have it go back to using the windows API instead. But then the problem comes what if the lite version (With the API) works and the user buys the standard version (With WinPcap) and it doesn't work? having both using the same code helps keep things smooth. So I will need to think about this before I do anything.

Second possible solution would be to have the Dail-up connection be given it’s own display graph with a hide/unhide option and give ethernet adapter cards and other network interface cards there own display graph with a hide/unhide option.  For computers with one or more ethernet adapter cards or other network interface cards have the option of selecting any given adapter card to be displayed on a single graph (each card to have it’s own color) or a display graph for each adapter card.  Give each adapter card a display graph of it’s own and to include a hide/unhide option as well. These are some of the choices you have.

With Simple Internet Meter the over head was way to high to monitor all the network connections. So how I made the program was to monitor 1 at a time, however you can copy the program dir to another dir. and run it from there was well and choose another adapter. You can run a copy for each adapter as needed. When I used the API before the overhead was very low, I could monitor a lot more. But I always had request to tell what is local traffic and what is internet traffic. WinPcap lets me look at every packet. Each packet has to be looked at. The faster the speed the more cpu it will use. So you can image the overhead if I was trying to monitor multiple connections at once. I am a performance nut, and I hate the idea of my programs not running at their best lol.

My guess is neither the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program or the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program were tested on a computer with both a dial-up connection and ethernet connection as the same time.  You have to remember that a DSL Line from a ISP includes as backup a dial-up connection for use both at home and for when you travel away from home.  This is for those of us that have a shoe box computer or older laptop computer.

Your right, I haven't had a dial up modem in my computer for over 10 years. So I had no way to test. I am guilty on it, I'm so use to not seeing dial up users any more that I don't even think about it any more. I don't even have a phone line here, all we use is cell phones now a days. So I'm not sure what I can do to start testing for dial up at this point.

1)   Question in “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” how do you reduce the display area given to the “Bandwidth Monitor:” and increase the display area used by the graph ?

2)   Question in “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” how do you get the main display area graph  to show a composite of all the “Monitors” that have there data displayed in the form of a graph ?

I made CS Fire Monitor around 5 years ago. The last update was a small one to 3.0.1 and that was to support the new changes to the bandwidth API in vista and & 7. Other than that I haven't update it in years. I don't plan on updating it, I do plan on making a new system monitor tool, possibly in .Net instead of my normal VB 6. If you want to see all the monitors at once just go to the monitor color settings, when you go there it shows all the monitors at once.

Please let me know when you plan on having the changes to either the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program or the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program made and available for download.  With this information you should have what you require to correct the problem in both programs.  Happy programming.  Is there anything else, you require.  Will be checking back on this Forum for your reply.

When it comes down to it I would like to get Simple Internet Meter working with WinPcap and your dial up connection. This will be the best and easiest way. I think we should run some tests and try to get it working. If I had dial up I could easily do it, so that's the hard part, testing.

Mind you I am writing this while running on 4 hours of sleep and my first cup of coffee, so bare with me if I didn't say something right lol  :tongue:

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Some things I want to have you look at. Since I dont have a dial up connection I am searching google for some info. Wireshark uses winpcap as well, so Ive found a few things.

http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/PPP
http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-5

Q-5: Can I use WinPcap on a PPP connection?

A:

Windows NT4. It's not possible to capture on PPP/VPN connections on this operating system.

Windows 2000/XP (x86)/2003 (x86). these systems have limitations in the NDIS binding process that prevent a protocol driver from working properly on WAN adapters. WinPcap 3.1 and newer offer limited support for capturing on dial-up adapters using a wrapper over the Microsoft NetMon driver.
NOTES:

* it is possible to capture control packets (LCP and NCP) using the "Generic Dialup" or "Generic NdisWan" adapter (which is always listed even if no dialup connections are available). Control frames are captured as Ethernet encapsulated PPP frames.
    * the PPP protocol is translated by the OS into a fake Ethernet. You'll see Ethernet frames and not PPP frames.
    * transmission is not supported.
    * filtering and statistics gathering is done at user level.

Windows XP (x64)/2003 (x64). It's not possible to capture on PPP/VPN connections on these operating systems.

Windows Vista and more recent. It's not possible to capture on PPP/VPN connections on these operating systems.

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

“When it comes down to it I would like to get Simple Internet Meter working with WinPcap and your dial up connection. This will be the best and easiest way. I think we should run some tests and try to get it working. If I had dial up I could easily do it, so that's the hard part, testing.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“With Simple Internet Meter the over head was way to high to monitor all the network connections. So how I made the program was to monitor 1 at a time, however you can copy the program dir to another dir. and run it from there was well and choose another adapter. You can run a copy for each adapter as needed. When I used the API before the overhead was very low, I could monitor a lot more. But I always had request to tell what is local traffic and what is internet traffic. WinPcap lets me look at every packet. Each packet has to be looked at. The faster the speed the more cpu it will use. So you can image the overhead if I was trying to monitor multiple connections at once. I am a performance nut, and I hate the idea of my programs not running at their best lol.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you would explain in more detail how this works: “however you can copy the program dir to another dir. and run it from there was well and choose another adapter. You can run a copy for each adapter as needed.”

Then with a better understanding of how to run more than one copy of your program ( the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program ) it may be possible for me to do the testing you require on my computer.  You would have to install the program to be tested into a different subdirectory of your choosing.  The program to be tested could be provided to me via a download that was only accessible by me from your website.  If you want to do this, then that would be up to you.  In effect your Alpha testing will be done me.  Not sure that your installer gives one the option to select the path and subdirectory name when you first install the program ( the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program ).  Also, a variation of the name of the program would be in order.

Currently have “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program working and the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program not working.  As of this post.

Thank you,
                  King

Post Script

Looked at http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-5  And found this entry:

Q-13: Does WinPcap support the loopback device?

A: No. Only physical interfaces are supported. This is a limitation of Windows and not of WinPcap.

Based on the test that was just done on my computer this ANSWER TO Q-13 IS NOT CORRECT for that is what WinPcap Version 4.02 just did.  That is to capture with the “MS TCP Loopback interface” setting for the dial-up modem that makes my connection to my ISP.

King

Hello Shane

Looked at http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-5  And found this entry:

Q-14: On which OS can I run WinPcap?

A: WinPcap can run on all the main Win32 operating systems: Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7, 2008R2

The overall situation is the following one:

Windows 95,98, ME: Support for Windows 95/98/ME has been dropped starting from WinPcap 4.0 beta3. The source packages still include the code base for those operating systems, but the setup executable will refuse to install. The last versions supporting such operating systems are WinPcap 3.1 (stable) and WinPcap 4.0 beta2 (unstable), however they are no longer supported by the WinPcap team, so if you encounter any problem you are on your own.
Windows XP/2003: WinPcap 2.3 or newer is required.
Windows XP/2003 (x64): WinPcap 3.2 alpha1 or newer is required. Capture from dialup/VPN adapters is not supported on 64 bit platforms.
Vista/2008 (x86): WinPcap 3.1 should work, but with limited functionality. PPP is not supported, and IPv6 addresses are not listed. We strongly suggest upgrading to WinPcap 4.0 or newer for better support on Windows Vista. Please refer to FAQ Q-28 for more details on Vista support.
Vista/2008 (x64): WinPcap 4.0 or newer is required.
Windows 7/2008R2: WinPcap 4.1 or newer is required.

Currently have “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program working and the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program not working with WinPcap Version 4.02 installed.

From Reply #9

“With Simple Internet Meter the over head was way to high to monitor all the network connections. So how I made the program was to monitor 1 at a time, however you can copy the program dir to another dir. and run it from there was well and choose another adapter. You can run a copy for each adapter as needed. When I used the API before the overhead was very low, I could monitor a lot more. But I always had request to tell what is local traffic and what is internet traffic. WinPcap lets me look at every packet. Each packet has to be looked at. The faster the speed the more cpu it will use. So you can image the overhead if I was trying to monitor multiple connections at once. I am a performance nut, and I hate the idea of my programs not running at their best lol.”

The key words are:   “however you can copy the program dir to another dir. and run it from there was well and choose another adapter. You can run a copy for each adapter as needed.”

Did the following to test if that can be done with only the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program installed. 

1)   Deleted both the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program and the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program .  Found that WinPcap Version 4.02 is in shared folder so that either program can use WinPcap Version 4.02 .

2)   Installed only the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program.  Found that what you get after making the “WAN (PPP/SLIP) Interface” selection.  Then you click on “Start” you get “I can’t get WinPcap to locate the adapter.  Please refresh the adapter list and make sure you have WinPcap v4 or higher installed.”  You still get the same results as that of the original conditions results without the presents of the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program.

3)   Installed the “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program and change adapter setting so that “CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1” program is working and the “Simple Internet Meter Lite” program is not working.  As of this post.

What this tells me is that if you try to: “however you can copy the program dir to another dir. and run it from there was well and choose another adapter. You can run a copy for each adapter as needed.” that this should not work as stated.

If you want to monitor two or more internet connections as in one dial-up connection and two ethernet adapter cards, then each internet connection has to have it’s own copy WinPcap Version 4.02 monitoring the hardware of that connection.  That means for the one dial-up connection there is copy WinPcap Version 4.02 monitoring that hardware and for the two ethernet adapter cards there is copy WinPcap Version 4.02 monitoring each ethernet adapter card.  Therefore there are three copies of WinPcap Version 4.02 running in the computer’s memory at the same time with each copy monitoring there respective pieces of hardware.

Thank you,
                  King

Post Script

For your information.  In the pass, have written detailed flow charts for programs to have the code written per those flow charts by one or more programmers.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Sorry I didn't respond yesterday, its morning and I have my cup of coffee :-)

I forgot to ask what version of windows are you on?

CS Fire monitor doesn't use WinPcap, only Simple internet meter does. CS Fire monitor just uses the built in windows API calls.

What I was referring to with Simple inter meter to monitor more than one connection is this.

Go to the dir Simple internet meter is installed. Now select all the files and copy them, now create a new folder, anywhere you want. Past a copy of those files in there. Now you can run the program from both dir's. Thats it. All stats and settings are stored in the database and settings file in the dir. So you can do this for as many connections as you want. Nothing else is needed.

Looking more into winpcap as you can see dial up connections are not supported in Vista and &, thats why I was wondering what version of windows you are on. Also another trick we could try is uninstalling winpcap 4 and installing 3, which says it supports dial up on the older systems.

I never tried to use a older version of WinPcap. I'm using 4.02 on my windows 7 system with out any trouble. My program is only looking at the packets, so its not using anything special from it, so a older winpcap version may work.

Keep in mind CS Fire monitor is a very different and older program than Simple Internet Meter. They both work differently from each other.

Lets go from here  :wink:

Shane

(About Shane)

King

Hello Shane

Base on Reply #13 and “Keep in mind CS Fire monitor is a very different and older program than Simple Internet Meter. They both work differently from each other.” and “CS Fire monitor just uses the built in windows API calls.” and “Simple Internet Meter” “CS Fire monitor doesn't use WinPcap, only Simple internet meter does. ”

Therefore CS Fire Monitor uses the built in windows API calls and Simple Internet Meter uses WinPcap 4.02. 

Shane is using: WinPcap 4.02 on his Windows 7 System with out any trouble.

King is using:  WinPcap 4.02 for Simple Internet Meter, which DOES NOT WORK AT ALL.
     OS Name   Microsoft Windows XP Professional
        Version   5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
   OS Manufacturer   Microsoft Corporation

Answer to What Operating System is King using ?  Is Microsoft Windows XP Professional Version  5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1 program that just uses the built in windows API calls and displays results only after the “Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport” adapter is Removed on CS Fire Monitor V3.0.1 only then does the Bandwidth Monitor’s graph display data and not before.

There are two problems to deal with,
the first is “When CS Fire Monitor V 3.0.1 which uses API calls to monitor dial-up can only do that after the “Intel(R) PRO/1000 CT Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport” adapter is Removed and not before ” and
the second is “When Simple Internet Meter tries to use WinPcap 4.02 for monitoring Dial-up and it does not do that under Windows XP.”

From  Reply #12

“Looked at http://www.winpcap.org/misc/faq.htm#Q-5  And found this entry:

Q-14: On which OS can I run WinPcap?

A: WinPcap can run on all the main Win32 operating systems: Windows 95, 98, ME, NT4, 2000, XP, 2003, Vista, 2008, Windows 7, 2008R2 . . .
. . . Windows XP/2003: WinPcap 2.3 or newer is required.
. . .Windows 7/2008R2: WinPcap 4.1 or newer is required.”

On King’s computer WinPcap 4.02 is installed in it’s own subdirectory and is not in the same subdirectory as the “Simple Internet Meter” program.

The next thing to do is as you stated  “Also another trick we could try is uninstalling winpcap 4 and installing 3, which says it supports dial up on the older systems.”  Shane you select the version of WinPcap that you want to try and then make a version of “Simple Internet Meter Lite” with the version of WinPcap that you want to try for me to download available from the PcWinTech Website or from a link posted in your reply.

Thank you,
                  King

PcWinTech.com Forums

email