Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: IP Addresses  (Read 16329 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Re: IP Addresses
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »
Evan -- IPCONFIG did the trick -- apparently I must have screwed something up at some point because it appears that my local addresses have all shifted one position. No biggee.

Now let's go back a bit. Can I just change the MAC in  the router and reboot systems and I will then have a new Internet address? OR is there something else to be done at that point? And what in the world should the MAC be changed to -- right now it has 00-14-d1-61-aa-9d 
I obviously have no clue of what to change or what to change it to.

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 01:58:27 PM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2009, 02:29:16 PM »
If you change the MAC just change the last value (d) to something else (e would be good).  Then for the least amount of hassle you need to:
  • shut down the computers
  • then unplug the router
  • then disconnect the modem
  • wait a minute
  • re-connect the modem
  • wait a minute
  • re-connect the router
  • wait a minute
  • then boot the computers

That is what I would do with my cable internet set up.  But that is because of how Shane explained the Internet IP address and the modem/router set up.  With DSL you set up everything a little different and I'm not 100% on the satellite.

You might want to wait for Shane to provide additional input.  You can try though and just be sure to take note of the old MAC of the router if you need to change it back.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2009, 03:49:22 PM »
Ok, I've got all that. I'll wait for Shane. I don't suppose DSL or satellite would be a great different from cable but we'll see what Shane has to say.

I have another clarification point. My Internet address is xx.xx.xxx.xxx/yy.yy.yyy.yyy where the x's were assigned by ??? my ISP? Maybe? The y's are what was generated here in my house by my ??? router? Maybe? And somewhere in this world there may be a lot of houses that have the exact same set of x's but they don't have my y's -- correct?

Oh, another question. IPCONFIG is gonna nail down the other system when I can get on it tomorrow but how can I determine the IP of the DVR? Well durn, never mind -- it's right there in the router (had to go to the bottom of the page) -- duh. LOL. However, while there I see that each host (CPUs and DVR) have a different MAC address. What's up with this anyway. I should know better than to go looking around, it just raises more questions. I know you're gonna point me towards some bending 'stuff' to read, OK. LOL I love you guys (you are almost as patient as my wife).

Mac
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:01:04 PM by macnext1 »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 06:41:32 AM »
Alright, let's see how much I can help you out.  :wink:

Quote from: Mac
My Internet address is xx.xx.xxx.xxx/yy.yy.yyy.yyy where the x's were assigned by ??? my ISP?
Yes, if you are moving down the line from your ISP to your modem.  That is your "unique" Internet Address.  You can also go to http://www.pcwintech.com/port_test.php and that will show your Internet IP.

The y's are what was generated here in my house by my ??? router?
Yep, your router gives you the private IP.  That might be somethign 192.168.1.1 and then the first computer could be 192.168.1.2 then .3 then .4 and so on.  In your case your router is using 10.xxx.xxx.xxx same idea though.

MAC address' are just hardware IDs (like barcodes).  There is a naming scheme involved where the first part is suppose to represent the mfr and last few values get more specific.  If you change the MAC address then the router will think it is a new device, nothing more.  The MAC address doesn't tell the router what a device is (other protocols do that), it's pretty much the same as "take a number" at the D.M.V.  :wink:

-Evan

Does that answer everything for you?  :smiley: 

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 07:36:33 AM »
Almost. What about the part of my question relating to x's and y's?

Ah, and another question. In the router is has a button labled 'Clone MAC'. What's it do? Would it provide a new MAC? Do you know if there is an easy way to recover from the change in the MAC if it all goes south (kinda like Windows 'restore to an earlier date'?

Still waiting for Shane to weigh in before I muck with MAC address.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 07:54:45 AM »
My bad on the x and y question.  I missed the last sentence
And somewhere in this world there may be a lot of houses that have the exact same set of x's but they don't have my y's -- correct?
Incorrect if the x's represent your Internet IP.  Remember, I'm thinking in terms of working my way down from the internet to your computer.  Internet IP will be unique and you shouldn't let that be seen (the number that is shown at http://www.pcwintech.com/port_test.php) but the local IP will be the same in many households.  For instance, Linksys uses 192.168.1.1 for all of it's household routers.  So if you went over to some one's house and they have a Linksys type "192.168.1.1" into the address bar of a browser and you'll get the router log in page. (IPCONFIG will show this as the "default gateway").

Ah, and another question. In the router is has a button labled 'Clone MAC'. What's it do?
Say your ISP made you set up your internet connection with your computer (before you used a router) and you had to enter the MAC address of the computer (or is was pulled automatically).  The modem would be "tied" to that address.  If you wanted to have more than that one computer on the internet then you'd add a router between the modem and computer and then "Clone" your computers MAC so that the modem/ISP thinks it's the same device.  Presto! Instant network.

As far as recovering from a changed MAC, you just need to go to the same area you changed it in the first place and put the original value back.  This will be different depending on if you are talking about the computer or router.  You probably can't change the MAC of your DVR though.

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 02:56:28 PM »
Thanks. I think one of us got the x's and y's switched around but bottom line is the first part is unique to me and points to my house. The second part might be duplicated in 1000's of other houses.

I'm gonna send you an Email about another item later.

Thanks for the help on this one --- still waiting for Shane to weigh in before I try anything (coward).

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »
OK since your not on Cable internet here is all I want you to do.
First go to http://www.pcwintech.com/port_test.php and write down the Internet IP you get.

Now unplug the dsl modem. Leave it unplugged for say 10 min if you can.
Then plug it back in. Wait till you are back online then check http://www.pcwintech.com/port_test.php again and see if the IP has changed.  :wink:

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 03:03:49 PM »

email