Author Topic: Davolink DV-2020 port forward strange behaviour  (Read 15590 times)

ajay1010

Davolink DV-2020 port forward strange behaviour
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:55:01 PM »
I tried setting the port forwarding using port forwarding tool, it set everything in a good way, when I pressed the test button it shows positive result , but If I check the same port using the website it shows negative result...very strange behaviour, in short am not able to do port forwarding.. any help will be really helpful to me.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Davolink DV-2020 port forward strange behaviour
« on: November 02, 2009, 01:55:01 PM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Re: Davolink DV-2020 port forward strange behaviour
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »
The ports have to be in use when you try the test from the web page while the tester built into the program creates a temporary connection and tests it for you.  That is why you passed using the program but not with the page.  Make sense?

In other words...you should be good to go.  Try using whatever program you were trying to set this up for and let us know if you have any trouble.  If you do then we'll get you working!  :)

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

ajay1010

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2009, 04:20:05 AM »
Yeah after setting it , I tried to check using your site browser as well as different site but every sites said it is not open :((

Any help would be highly appreciated, I have spent two full nights on this with several permutation and combination but nothing worked out :(.

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 04:36:19 AM »
If the built in port tester tool or the stand alone one (located: http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-port-tester) are showing you a positive then the ports should be working fine.

Many port testing tools will only report back positive if something is actually actively using the port (say a Peer-2-Peer program or a server).  The tester on the web page works this way.  It will only see an actively open port.  The stand alone tool will actually generate some traffic directed to the port you are testing (simulating a live, active port) and can tell you if it actually works.  If you're getting a positive on the stand alone tool or through Simple Port Forwarding then you should be fine.

Have you tried using whatever program (maybe?) the you needed the port opened for?  Did it work as expected or not as expected?

As much detail as you can provide the better.  How about this...why are you trying to port forward?

-Evan

ajay1010

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2009, 04:57:23 AM »
Hi Evan, the stand alone tool is shwoing positive but when I tried using http://www.pcwintech.com/port_test.php tool it shows negative results :(..

Well I need the port forwarding for cardsharing using dreambox sattelite reciever. If my port is not open, I can not share my keys to other friends.

I am totally clueless...the strange behaviour between tool and http://www.pcwintech.com/port_test.php.

Please let me know if you need any additional info like IP address or even port I can send you the print screen as well of the router in which I have created the port.

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2009, 06:12:44 AM »
The stand alone tool is more accurate.  Don't worry about the negative for now.  Have you tried sharing the key yet and do you know for sure that you are able to do that?  You might just need to have someone actually test to see if this works.

Can you tell me what model of DreamBox you are using?  Even better if you have a link to a support site or the manual.  I looked around and found about 5 different ones, so i want to make sure I'm looking at the right one.   :)

-Evan

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2009, 06:25:38 AM »
Oh yeah.  Screen shots are always helpful.  :)

That way we can make sure that we are talking about the same thing.  It would be helpful to see the port testing results.  Just make sure you edit the picture to remove your Internet IP address.  ;)

-Evan

ajay1010

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 09:57:32 AM »
hi it is dreambox 500S........

Well there is a good thing after adding many ports I tried adding 12000 port as well and actually it started working.
I created different port similarly but nothing is working except 12000 ports....... but anyway atleast something is working than nothing.

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 10:06:05 AM »
Thanks for the screen shot.

So everything is working now?  Did you just try 12000 randomly or were you instructed to?  If you would like I can try and look into this more and see if your receiver just needed a specific port range. 

If you're satisfied with everything then just let me know and I'll lock the thread, otherwise lets keep going and make sure everything is 100%  :)

-Evan

ajay1010

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 10:15:06 AM »
Hi I just tried randomly with 12000 and it is working as of now ..... but still I want to know why other port number is not working.

As you can see from the screenshot, I have created many ports in the similar fashion. If you think it can be done by doing small cheks than fine else we can leave it as of now.

One more thing please correct me If I am wrong If someone ping to my public IP with port 12000, then the traffic will be route to the machine (dreambox) IP 192.168.1.6 as mentioned in the screenshot.

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2009, 11:14:10 AM »
I haven't been able to find anything saying that a specific port is needed, but that doesn't mean I won't.  Most of the forums with guides I've come accross require registration so nothing definitive yet.  I don't really know much about Card Sharing with a DreamBox so I'm just going on what you've told me.  If you want to provide any details then we can help you more, but if everything is working as expected that is the important part. 

Shane might know if there is an issue with your router that would explain the ports.  I can ask him if you want.

Just a little extra info for you...I assumed you were trying to forward a port to the computer, not another device.  As long as the rules are pointing to the correct IP address (the DreamBox) then it should work fine.  I didn't mention earlier (because of the assumption) that the Port Tester tool will use the IP address of the computer you run it from so make sure you're aware of that when you're testing. 

The ping will follow the rules in the router, yes.

-Evan

ajay1010

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2009, 12:04:05 PM »
Hi Evan,

Thanks for looking into, I guess lets stop working on it, as things are working you can lock this topic.

If you need more info I can guide you, the best site for cardsharing and dreambox is http://www.eurocardsharing.com/

Once again thanks for your quick and solid support.

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 12:12:24 PM »
Alway happy to help.  ;D We make it a point to get people resolved as quickly as possible and to take that extra step so I really appreciate the thanks.  If you have any other questions you know where to find us.

Thanks for the link also, I'm definately gonna check it out.  Hopefully they are available in the states...

Locking thread.

-Evan

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2009, 12:12:24 PM »