Author Topic: port forwarding when behind 2 routers... setting up the DMZ  (Read 14705 times)

GCam192

port forwarding when behind 2 routers... setting up the DMZ
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:13:23 AM »
Hi Shane! Firstly i would just like to say that your site and simple port forwarding tool have been extremely helpful thus far, as I know nothing about this sort of thing. However, I have come to a road block in trying to get the ports I've been trying to open to actually open. I just set up a wireless router and am trying to open two ports for the purpose of online gaming. I followed all the instructions from another site on using the simple port forwarding tool to open the ports for the game. Everything went fine however when I tested the ports they would keep failing and indicating not open. It finally dawned on me that I am actually behind another router. My home PC uses a DSL connection and it took me a while to realise that the modem is also a router. So I read about the DMZ and how to set it up and to my extreme frustration after solving my "mystery," setting up the DMZ has proved to be another roadblock. I follow the steps and punched in the IP for my other router. It takes me to the router page but there is NOWHERE any option for setting up a DMZ. It is extremely basic with practically no settings or options to configure, where as my D-link wireless router has tons of options. I am extremely confused as to what to do now.
I am using a D-link dir 628 with a LAN IP address of 192.168.0.1, and the IP address I plug in for my DSL router is 192.168.2.1    My DSL router is called a SpeedStream 4200 I believe? I am in Canada using Bell Sympatico high speed internet if that matters at all. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely
Graeme

PS: On a side note my home internet is being changed over to a cable connection in a few weeks. When this happens should I just restore my D-link settings to factory default and proceed with the port forwarding as normal. I am unsure if the new cable connection will have a router where I will once again be stuck behind two to port forward on my laptop but if so hopefully it will be much easier to set up the DMZ with that new one.

PcWinTech.com Forums

port forwarding when behind 2 routers... setting up the DMZ
« on: September 20, 2009, 10:13:23 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: port forwarding when behind 2 routers... setting up the DMZ
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2009, 11:53:13 AM »
The thomson routers so far seem not to have any dmz options! so the trick I use for people is to make 2 port forwarding rules.

make rule #1 do ports 1000 - 65535 TCP
make rule #2 do the same ports but UDP

Have both those rules point to the WAN ip of the router. The thomson may have the router in a list to choose from, you can use that instead of the IP.

So even though there is no DMZ page we are in a sense making are own lol
The reason why I use 1000 instead of 1 is because trying that breaks the internet for some odd reason with those.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

GCam192

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2009, 01:19:19 PM »
Thank you so much! It's very relieving hearing solutions to these issues for us non tech-buffs. I dont mean to be a pest but would you mind dumbing down your answer slightly as I am very computer illiterate. Specifically, where do I create these rules in my router options (is it on the D-link or speedstream, because I dont believe the speedstream has any options to make rules either) and to clarify the WAN ip im having those routers point to is the speedstream or the D-link? Finally do you think I will have any problems in a few weeks when my home connection switches to cable, basically will putting the D-link back to default settings and just re-opening the ports again be fine.
Thanks a ton!
Graeme

GCam192

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2009, 01:58:28 PM »
oh and just an update, I realised that the router is not a thompson. The thompson routers are speedtouch and the speedstream 4200 one I have is actually a siemens, sorry for the confusion.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 02:57:18 PM »
no I was wrong, it should be a siemens :-) thats what I get for answering questions before my coffee  ;D

I have the screen shots of the 4200 and it is already in my program as well. It does have a DMZ page, I have attached it.
Make sure your logging in with the username and password of admin and admin

So on the DMZ page you will choose these 2 options
Enable DMZ with this host IP address (the 3rd option) in the drop down list you should see only 1 IP, and that should be the WAN ip of the D-Link.
the next option to choose
Make Settings Permanent
Then click apply.

Let me know how it goes  ;D

Shane

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

GCam192

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2009, 07:18:54 PM »
Thank you so much! I think this will fix the problem for sure. I currently don't know what the admin user and pass. are. I am putting in the only user name and password I have but the screen doesnt change so maybe thats just the username to connect. I will call bell sympatico (my internet provider) tomorrow and ask them what the admin info is for my account to access the router setting and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from there. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again,
Graeme

GCam192

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2009, 08:22:26 PM »
So basically I have no way of accessing the configurations for the speedstream router. The user name and password provided to you by my internet provider only connect you they dont give you access to the detailed configs. The provider just tells me I dont need any other username or password but I think they just don't want to give out access to the modems configuration. A quick google revealed this is a common problem with this modem, people can't seem to get into the configurations. Oh well, I think I'm basically giving up on this one. However my internet is changing quite soon to a cable provider and I am hoping I will have much more luck after they come and install the new connection. It's a completely different company. If I have any issues then I will come back here because you really do offer great help, otherwise ill just use the simple port forwarding and see if I can get things goin. Do you know if a cable internet connection uses a modem/router and do you anticipate I will have any problems with forwarding ports using my d-link and a new cable connection.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »
Most cable companies just use a modem and its not a router, however there are some that do. So it is a wait and see. I never under stood why ISP's want to keep people out, it is almost like they have no clue what port forwarding is lol.

If you need me you know where to find me  ;D

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 09:50:01 PM »