Author Topic: Linksys intermittent signal cut off  (Read 14547 times)

Offline schweinhundert

• PcWinTech Member
Linksys intermittent signal cut off
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:02:36 PM »
Me wrt400n runs pretty well largely but my signal regularly cuts out - sometimes coming back on immediately (whether my pc does the auto connect properly or not is another matter), but eventually cutting out for good, no signal at all. This can however be fixed by unplugging the wireless router for the prerequisite 5 or 10 secs which gets it rolling again. A PITA, since I'm 400 feet away from the router.
All this action seems worse when I'm running a bunch of web intensive stuff at once, but I'm not sure if that's the cause, as it often seems pretty random. I do run azureus a lot too, but have a static ip and ports forwarded for it.

So I wonder if being able to unplug the router and get it fixed that way is any kind of a useful clue, or if anyone knows what might be causing this high tech wickedness. We did have some lightning which blasted everything in the house but my wireless router (my pc lived too) a while back. It took out my wireless power adapter but left the unit itself alive, though I'm starting to wonder if I"ve got some minor damage which is causing overheating or other weirdness.

So I'm just asking before I RMA the bugger. Thanks for any help!

PcWinTech.com Forums

Linksys intermittent signal cut off
« on: September 12, 2009, 08:02:36 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Linksys intermittent signal cut off
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 08:13:40 PM »
It sounds like it should be replaced.

I have encountered a lot bugged routers over the years. I have lost a lot of faith in linksys over the last year. So many routers of theirs I have worked with have had the strangest problems where no other brand does. This last job I had was the final straw for me with buying linksys. I have always loved the brand, but something is up. But thats another story.

Given what you have said and the fact that the wireless will drop off and not come back after a while and needs a power recycle is a sign of either bad firmware or hardware.

Did the unit work just fine before the lightning?
If so I think you have your answer. If it always had trouble it cant hurt to see if a firmware update might do the trick.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline schweinhundert

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 09:02:18 PM »
I'd only had it briefly before the lightning, but I think it was jumpy in a slightly different way right off the bat, though I didn't have a static ip or any port action done yet, didn't know squat about it yet, so hard to say...
I'll RMA it and see if the new one is any better. I'm aiming to bury an ethernet cable and just get rid of this whole headache. Any idea if going 100 feet over the suggested 100 yard limit will be dodgy, or should I get a booster of some sort?
Thanks again!

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2009, 09:13:58 PM »
after 300 feet the signal starts to drop. Get high grade cable and you can go farther is it is just for a machine or 2.
Another options is a wireless repeater or a bigger antenna.

Im not a fan of wireless because it is so easy to make it drop.

If you buy shielded cable you can run the wire above ground. Did that for a customer a while back.

I have been sticking with netgear now, haven't seen the odd things I do with linksys. Just a few things is a local dsl company here any newer linksys would drop the internet after 5 min. No other router would do it. Any linksys before ciso bought them doesn't have the problem. Im very curious what they have changed in their firmware.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline schweinhundert

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2009, 09:22:30 PM »
Oh, I forgot to mention, I did reinstall the firmware twice, latest version. No change.
I'm gonna get me that cable if it doesn't cost an arm and a leg. Gotta mow the lawn, so it's going in the ground though. I heard tell that there's plain olde shielded, and then there's shielded with the plugs shielded too (supposedly better for lighting, etc.), any idea how to know what I'm buying?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2009, 09:28:05 PM »
shielded cat5e is all you need. Your router isn't gigabit so you dont need cat6, so dont waste the money. You can safely go over the 300ft mark, but by how much I dont know be for you need to put in a switch (just a little 4 port hub) to strengthen the signal.

looks like 328 feet is the limit, you might get away with a little more.

"Ethernet networks: cables are still limited to a maximum of 328 ft (100 m) in length (normal practice is to limit fixed ("horizontal") cables to 90 m to allow for up to 5 m of patch cable at each end). Cat 5e cable performance characteristics and test methods are defined in TIA/EIA-568-B.2-2001."

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:56:57 AM »
Quote from: schweinhundert
This can however be fixed by unplugging the wireless router for the prerequisite 5 or 10 secs which gets it rolling again. A PITA, since I'm 400 feet away from the router.
Unless I'm reading this wrong (and please correct me if I am)...your problem is that you are using a 400 foot wireless connection.  At that distance you need a signal repeater or go with wired.  As Shane said, you are still going over the limit with Wired...but it is going to be better than Wireless.

After you go over the limits then you can't count on your signal being reliable.  Having said that though, the better the cable the better your chances.  If money isn't a concern then you have lots of hardware options.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:56:57 AM »

email