Author Topic: wired isdn and wireless pstn  (Read 20018 times)

simon70

wired isdn and wireless pstn
« on: August 21, 2009, 08:59:29 AM »
Hello,I have an isdn line and a Speedtouch 586i modem.I've been given a Pirelli Wireless VoIP AG v1-t Annex A-OT( I don't know if you needed all that but that's what it says on the back) ::).

I would like to take advantage of the 'wireless' facility of the Pirelli but I think it's for a pstn line.I've been told there is a way to connect the two but the only thing I managed to grasp was the word 'relay' and then got totally lost just before my potential benefactor disappeared.  ???

Could anyone help me configure them please? I am not really experienced in this sort of thing so if someone had the patience to explain it to me as simply as possible, I would appreciate it. Thank you. :)

PcWinTech.com Forums

wired isdn and wireless pstn
« on: August 21, 2009, 08:59:29 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: wired isdn and wireless pstn
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2009, 10:56:52 AM »
Well if you want to keep things more simple you can actually have the 2 router hooked together. I can help walk you through that.

If you want to swap them then I need a little more info. If both are also dsl modems (if dsl is what you have) then swamping them should be fine.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

simon70

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 12:02:05 AM »
First of all many thanks for being willing to help me. :D

Yes, both routers are dsl.You used the words 'swap' and 'swamp'. I know what both words mean individually but I'm not sure of their meaning in computers.

Thank you Shane. I'll be checking back continusoulsy today for your instructions. There's a certain thrill when one achieves something he knows nothing about! :)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 12:13:55 AM »
lol swamping, sorry about that, I wrote that after only having 3 hours of sleep lol.

Its midnight now and Im heading to bed. But if both are dsl then you wont have any trouble swapping (<- ha! spelled it right this time...I hope) them out. All you are going to need is your username and password for your dsl connection. Login to your current router and find the pppoe login information, you should see your username. If you dont know your password just call your ISP and they will give it to you.

Dont change any settings in your current router. This way if you have trouble setting up the 2nd you can still go back to the first and get back online :-).

So unhook the first router and hook up the 2nd. all cables will pretty much go in the same spots.

Log into your new router, find the login information for the dsl and enter it. Save and restart the router. You should see your internet light come on after a min or so. If all goes well your good to go. If not simply put the first router back up to get you back online :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

simon70

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 02:24:45 AM »
Hi again Shane! I'm sorry you are so tired and sleepless. I hope that as I'm writing this you will be fast asleep! :)Only three hours' sleep is definitely not enough.

Anyway, when you wake up:One of my routers is ISDN, I think it's called Annex B and the new one is for PSTN, or Annex A. My telephone line is ISDN so it really needs an ISDN modem/router. I was told that I could take the ethernet cable from my ISDN router and connect it to the PSTN modem/router and it's from that point on that I don't know what to do.

Of course I tried what you advised me but I can't find anywhere in the new PSTN router asking me to enter my username and password which I know by the way.

Let me tell you what options I have in the router that I'm supposed to configure:

First there's the log in screen. When I enter the username and password for access to the router, I have:

SYSTEM
LAN
WIRELESS
NAT
ADSL
UPnP
TOOLS
STATUS

I clicked on all of them but can't find anywhere to enter my ISP username and password. ???

Sweet dreams Shane and many thanks for your help. :)
p.s. I just reread your message and clicked on the ADSL option again.It just opens a "status" page where it gives some monitoring information and I can't really click anywhere to change anything there.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 09:54:34 AM »
morning! I feel a ton better after a good night sleep. Of course waking up to your wife, 4 kids and 2 dogs all on the bed with you wanting you to wake up just makes me want my coffee more :-)

Given your setup and what information you have given me I think just setting up the 2nd router with the first router is the way to go.
Here is what to do.

Right now your computer has a network cable plugged into the first router. What you are going to do is this, the 2nd router is going to be the only one connected to the first router. So have a network cord go from one of the LAN ports of the first router and plugged into the WAN/Internet port of the 2nd router.

Your computer and anything else should now plug into the 2nd router for now on. You should be able to get on line now as well and even setup the wireless. As you can see this can be pretty easy and fast, just have the network cables right and your good to go.

If you ever need to setup some port forwarding I have all the help you should need on my help pages about getting 2 or more router to play nice together :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

simon70

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 11:33:39 AM »
Good morning Shane!I'm glad you feel more rested now. I don't know, waking up to a wife, four kids and two dogs on the bed can be quite fun!:) I myself wake up to a cat and a one-legged canary bird which seems to be singing more now that it only has one leg!

OK, let me explain in detail how I'm set up and then please tell me again what to do:

I have and isdn modem and an isdn splitter with three slots: Line, modem and isdn. My phone line goes into 'line', then a phone cable goes from the isdn modem ( used only for calls ) to the 'isdn' slot and finally the 'modem' slot is used to connect my isdn router to the isdn splitter.

My isdn dsl modem has three slots, one for receiving from the splitter ( its says dsl there ), one usb and one ethernet slot. The cable from the ethernet slot goes into my pc and that's how I have my connection.

Now the pstn modem has plenty of slots. A dsl slot, a usb one and four lans.

When I try to connect the modem cable from my splitter straight into the dsl slot of the pstn modem, it doesn't work because I have an isdn line.

Perhaps I should have explained all this from the start. I apologise!

Ok, I'm listening again. If possible, could you refer to the two routers as the 'isdn' one and the 'pstn' one? Otherwise I'm not sure which one you are referring to. A million thanks.:)
p.s. I always have a mug of Greek coffe by the computer which gets refilled at least twice a day! :)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2009, 11:45:15 AM »
np, its simple here is what to do.

Take the cable going into your computer and plug it into the WAN/Internet port of the pstn. Thats it, it is now online.
Now get another network cable and plug it into your computer and then into one of the lan ports of the pstn, your computer is now back online.  ;D

Shane

(About Shane)

simon70

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2009, 11:59:13 AM »
Is the WAN/Internet port the little slot that says adsl? If it is, the cable that goes into my computer is an ethernet cable. The WAN/Internet port on the pstn needs a telephone plug. So I need to find a cable that has an ethernet plug on one end and a telephone socket on the other, yes?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2009, 12:04:29 PM »
ok never mind, geez I feel silly. You said they where modems, it didnt click in my head, lol Im still getting my head together, it amazing how a messed up day of sleep can do that to you.

You wont be able to use the pstn with the isdn. You need a pure router in order to get the wireless you want, not a modem.

Sorry I should have realized that from the first post!

Thats it, im making another pot of coffee! lol
 ::)

Shane

(About Shane)

simon70

« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2009, 12:11:48 PM »
Good idea! Did you say a 'day' of sleep? It can't replace night sleep you know. :)

Anyway, a friend who works for the National Telephone company said I should connect the ethernet cable from my isdn modem into one of the lans of the the pstn and then something about configuring it to 'relay'. Does this mean anything to you?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2009, 12:20:41 PM »
its hard to tell without seeing the modems. can you take a picture of the back of both of them? that would help me understand the setup much easier.

Shane

(About Shane)

simon70

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2009, 12:26:33 PM »
I can try and find pictures of them on the Internet. Then, do I just write the link to them here?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2009, 12:51:48 PM »
you can, you can also upload pictures to the post as well. I just need to see the back of both of them so I can see what ports they have.

Shane

(About Shane)

simon70

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 01:00:07 PM »
I hope you have another pot of coffee brewing! How .... do I upload fotos? Couldn't find anything on the Internet so I took a couple of pictures with my webcam. Ijust saw the "attach' note at the bottom.I hope you can see them. :)

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2009, 01:00:07 PM »

email