Author Topic: Warcraft III Port Forward Problem  (Read 11785 times)

1234567890jim

Warcraft III Port Forward Problem
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:45:25 PM »
i am using a D-link DIR-655 router and am having a problem getting the ports to forward correctly

i am certain that the correct ip address is being used when i choose what ip to forward ports for

i have tried using the port forward option in the router, i forward the ports 6111-6119 then using http://www.pcwintech.com/port_test.php? i test them

every port i attempted to forward was closed

i then tried using the virtual server option and setup the ports (6111-6119) to be open, just hoping for a different outcome, but again every port was closed

i started messing with things and changing up variables to see if i could find anything different, once while having warcraft 3 open i tested the ports i had forwarded, one port was open

if you are familiar with warcraft 3 you know you choose which game port to use, and the port that was open was the game port i had chosen

i tested this same type of thing with my torrenting program (vuze) whose listening port was also forwarded and the same thing happened, the port was only seen as open so long as the application that used it was running  (i tested this with both the virtual server option as well as the port forwarding option, same result)

this wouldn't normally be a problem except that everyone who plays the game can choose to use a different game port (within the range), so when trying to host a game in warcraft 3, i am essentially cutting off 8/9 of the people who could join my game, making it impossible to get a full game

is there any way i can have all of the ports open without running multiple applications using a particular port

Screenshots:

PcWinTech.com Forums

Warcraft III Port Forward Problem
« on: August 14, 2009, 11:45:25 PM »

1234567890jim

Re: Warcraft III Port Forward Problem
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2009, 12:02:30 AM »
upon further searching and tinkering i learned this,

i am an idiot and my problem was caused by something else and is now fixed, disregard this post

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »
lol, good to hear.
What did it turn out being?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »