Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: NetGear FVS124G  (Read 30057 times)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: NetGear FVS124G
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »
when you hooked everything back up did you make sure the WAN wasnt all 0's?

if it got an IP from the modem and still isnt working then you have done everything you can and the netgear may need replaced.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2009, 02:07:13 PM »

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2009, 03:49:59 PM »
Shane, here are some more screen shots. The WANs (if I'm looking at the right place) are set to all zeros. However, I don't think it would matter since we have 'obtain from ISP' checked.

Something strange -- When I apply the LAN changes it goes off thinking for a really LONG time (I went off and read some more of my book) and will eventually show one of those "Internet Explorer blah blah" things. So I just figured that since the LAN had changed it (Internet Explorer) probably just got lost. Perhaps there is something else going on though, because at some point (when you asked about the WAN settings); I could not log in to the router??? Almost freaked out but then tried the OLD Lan address and got logged in. Looked at the Lan settings and sure enough they had reverted to the original. I don't know if that knowledge helps or not but I figured I better tell you.

Mac

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2009, 04:28:15 PM »
the WAN page would still show the IP it got from the modem in the gray boxes, they should not be all 0's. If they are then it isn't getting a IP from the modem, yet on the 2nd set of screens it did get an IP from the modem. Also the fact that the lan settings auto set back to their defaults is very strange.

You shouldn't be having this much trouble with the router.

So lets try some more things first, do them in this order.

1. unplug the power to the modem (leave it unplugged for now)

2. Do a hard reset (with the reset button) on the netgear (I want all settings put back to default).

3. Once the netgear comes back up go to LAN settings and change the LAN to 192.168.2.1, change all 3 spots on that page, hit apply.

4. Once the page refreshes on the netgear unplug the power to the netgear (Leave it unplugged).

5. plug the modem power back in, also make sure the network cord to the netgear is plugged in right.

6. wait for the modem to come fully back up then plug the power back into the netgear.

7. While the netgear is powering back up I want you to reboot your computer.

8. Once your system is backup everything should be up, so log into the netgear. Confirm that the WAN ip is not all 0's and confirm that the LAN has kept its settings.

9. Reply back to me and let me know how it goes. If you have any more trouble with the netgear after all this I say replace the pain in the butt router.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2009, 05:42:43 AM »
Only one fly in the ointment. I did the reset (little button the back). Used default settings for router -- not there??? Used the 192.168.2.1 and it (the router) was there??? So anyway I proceeded with ALL the steps you said to do. After the reboot I saw that AccuWeather had connected -- I felt like we were out of the woods. Sure enough after laptop completely up I went to the Internet -- no problem!!! Good thing since I've already run out of the warranty period.

So what would suggest as a next step? Plug into WAN2 (still with the DSL) and verify that it will work? If you say yes are there any additional things to do -- like power down -- reboot -- whatever?

In the midst of all this I lost DSL FOUR times.

BTW I attached 3 new screen shots in case you wanted to see them.

This Email brought to you by the power of NetGear.

Mac

[attachments over 25 days old deleted by admin]

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2009, 08:12:00 AM »
Things are working? very nice! From here I say do what else you need, im not sure which step got you going but those are the steps I do when I get a setup that should be working and isnt.

Finish setting up what you need like normal and see how it goes.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2009, 05:11:24 AM »
Well, I have developed a new problem.

First, an update: I moved everything out of the closet and back into the study. So now the desktop is hooked into a Lan on the Netgear - the Trendnet is hooked into a Lan on the Netgear, the satellite modem  is hooked into Wan1 on the Netgear. Powered everything up and I was able to get to the Internet from the desktop and from the laptop (still in the closet all by itself) -- things are looking great. I plugged the DSL moden into Wan2 and disconnected Wan1 (thinking that the Netgear would automagically switch to DSL), well it just went down hill.

So, thinking (always a mistake) that perhaps in all the powering up and down that I may have messed up a setting on the Netgear I attempted to login to the Netgear -- 192.168.2.1 (what it had been changed to) -- no go ("failure to connect to Web Server") -- tried 192.168.1.1 (original setting) -- no go.

IPCONFIG (at desktop) shows IP 192.168.2.2 Defaul Gateway 192.168.2.1

So I tried 192.168.2.2 -- no go.

So now I am completely snookered -- haven't a clue of how to proceed.

Any help appreciated.

Just had a thought --- on the desktop since I am going to the satellite, the Internet Lan settings are set to "use proxy" -- perhaps this is a clue?

Mac
« Last Edit: September 02, 2009, 05:17:57 AM by macnext1 »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2009, 10:17:46 AM »
You shouldn't be using a proxy, I would disable that. See if that helps with logging in for ya.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2009, 06:38:24 AM »
Thanks - that did the trick. Amazingly enough I can still get to the Internet through the satellite, so I don't know why 'they' told me to use the 'proxy' setting for satellite access (unless of course the NetGear is working some magic).

In the following, "Worked Fine" means I can access the Internet with no problem.

So --- I did the following:
Unhooked the satellite from Wan1
Plugged in the DSL to Wan1 -- followed by router reset and reboot
Worked fine

Unplugged DSL from Wan1
Plugged DSL into Wan2 -- followed by router reset and reboot
Worked fine

Plugged in satellite to Wan1 -- followed by router reset and reboot
Worked fine --- except
The 'active' light on the Router Wan2 status stays 'yellow' -- which means (I think) that it (Wan2) is not being accessed.
I logged into the router and:

Went to Wan1 -- shows IP 192.168.0.6 and IP Gateway of 192.168.0.1 (address of Satellite Modem).
Went to Wan2 -- shows IP 192.168.1.47 and IP Gateway of 192.168.1.1 (address of DSL Modem).

So -- how do I set up the router so that it is load balancing between the two Wans and will automagically roll to one when the other fails?

As always, any help is appreciated.

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2009, 08:03:51 AM »
I don't know your router by heart so I don't know with out looking at it. All the settings will be in the router to work out the load balancing.
If I can give some advice. I think the best thing to do is see if it is possible to have all traffic on port 80 (http) only use satellite and everything else use dsl. Since dsl wont have the bandwidth limit that satellite has. This way web pages will be with it and everything else through dsl :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2009, 03:24:06 AM »
I did a little reading in the User Guide and it turns out that load balancing and rollover are mutually exclusive. So I reckon I won't have the load balancing. The reason I bought the router was for the rollover to make it easier on my wife (no cable swaps).

Further reading of the User Guide left me cold as to how to set up the automatic rollover (VPNs and IPs and all sorts of 'stuff').

I need some help/guidance.

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #25 on: September 04, 2009, 08:01:16 AM »
What I can help you do is have it setup to where your wife can use the dsl connection, you use the satellite and you both can still stay networked and share files :-)

I just set that up in a office for a customer. One of the users was remoteing into the desktop from home. But it was getting horribly slow cause of everyone else hogging the net. So she got her own dsl line in the office, but still needed to be able to access the server. She is now setup on the dsl while still being able to hit the network and server like normal.

No extra network cards are needed. Let me know if you want me to help you set that up  ;D

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #26 on: September 05, 2009, 01:33:05 AM »
Well that's not exactly what I had in mind. Both of the modems are in the study with the desktop. I would like the NetGear to allow either one (DSL or Satellite) to fail and switch over to the non-failing modem without my wife having to swap cables around or resetting the router or anything (transparent swap). We have a LOT of instability with both DSL and Satellite hence the whole reason for buying this dual Wan Router.

Can that be done?

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #27 on: September 05, 2009, 08:21:39 AM »
It should work that way now. Since the router is using both connections. If one fails it will just use the other.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2009, 03:02:37 AM »
Well it would be nice if it worked that way since that's what I want. The problem is that I have tried:
1. Satellite by itself in WAN 1 & 2 with no problem.
2. DSL by itself in Wan1 & 2 with no problem.

When I plug them both in at one time (Satellite - Wan1, DSL - Wan2), the Wan2 never appears to go active. Tried unplugging Wan1 to force it to Wan2 -- didn't work. Will I need to reset the router to make this work? If that is true then it wouldn't appear to be a very elegant solution but perhaps that is as good as it gets.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 08:27:15 AM »
Your right. It should be very simple, plug into 2 internet connections into WAN 1 & WAN 2. The router then uses both to give you better speed. When one goes down it simply uses the other. Yet you keep having a nightmare with it. As long as the cables are being plugged into the right spots I don't know what is happening.

Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2009, 08:27:15 AM »