Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: NetGear FVS124G  (Read 29569 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Re: NetGear FVS124G
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »
Well that makes two of us.

Anybody got any idesa?

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2009, 10:30:41 AM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2009, 07:19:36 AM »
Quote from: macnext1
I did a little reading in the User Guide and it turns out that load balancing and rollover are mutually exclusive. So I reckon I won't have the load balancing.
That is correct.  You get one or the other...not both.

Quote from: macnext1
When I plug them both in at one time (Satellite - Wan1, DSL - Wan2), the Wan2 never appears to go active. Tried unplugging Wan1 to force it to Wan2 -- didn't work.
That should work but it will take some time unfortunately.  If you log into your router and go to the WAN Mode page make sure that you have "Auto Rollover" selected and the Primary WAN Port set to "WAN 1".  Now if you look at the Test Period it should be 30 seconds (you shouldn't be able to set this any lower but you can try...) and the number attempts should be at 4.  What happens is when the connection on WAN 1 is lost the router will try to reconnect for 30 seconds 4 separate times for a total estimated downtime of at least 2 minutes(4x30sec=2 minutes).

I've read that you can set the number of reattempts to 1.  Any amount you can reduce that number by will reduce the "rollover" by 30 seconds.  Once a signal comes back to WAN 1 then the connection will switch.  There could be some other delays but it should work.  If your connection on WAN 1 is being very unreliable and you expect it to stay that way for an extended time then you should just temporarily disconnect the cable going into WAN 1.

Can you try that and let me know if it works.  Sorry for not getting back to you on this.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2009, 08:47:07 AM »
I figured out that the thing just wasn't going to meet our needs. We have interruptions but they are usually very short in duration. Probably never enough to cause a rollover. So I have removed the NetGear Router from my mix of junk. We will continue to do a manual switch when needed.

Anybody want to make me an offer on a NetGear Router -- hardly used but in excellent condition? Willing to swap for a cheapo wireless router.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2009, 09:10:59 AM »
Mac,  I'm sorry to hear that it isn't feasible.  I assume you never did verify if the Rollover works or not?

Anyways...I've got a router that I could trade.  Want to send an email about it?  I know we talked about it briefly before but just let me know what you're looking for.

I will have the thread closed after you respond.

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2009, 09:17:07 AM »
You're right, I never did verify that the rollover would work and now I've removed it totally so I guess I can not test it. I have no reason to doubt that it will work but I don't know.

I'll send you an EMail (hopefully later today) and we can discuss routers.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »
I'm sorry that the solution was as good of a solution as we hoped.  It really just came down to current technology not being reliable enough.  Hopefully you can get a better connection in the future.

I'm going to go ahead and consider this closed.

-Evan

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 12:01:13 PM »

email