Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: My DVD Rom only reads cds...  (Read 24018 times)

Shougo

My DVD Rom only reads cds...
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:02:24 AM »
Hi, it's me again.

Past Sunday I was making a back up of some files on my pc since I wanted to free some space in my both hard drives; then suddenly, my DVD rom stopped reading DVDs. I used several dvds, both original and copies and nothing worked; then made a test using a cd and it read it with no problems (later I used original cds and copies and everything went ok)

I thought the lens for dvds had become useless (that explained everything quite good until that point) but then I opened Cyberlink PowerDVD by mistake and suddenly my dvd rom read the dvd inside (one I had burned for making the back up) I got curious and repeated the operation several times, the results are listed as follows:

- CDs (original and copies) are read normally.
- DVDs are not read it in the normal way.
- If I open Cyberlink Power DVD and try to read any DVD like it was a movie one, my DVD rom read it with no problem.
- Last step only works for copies (there's no way my dvd rom read an original dvd... movie or game)
- If I normally insert a blank DVD, it’s read as a blank cd.
- Even better, if I use Power DVD with a blank DVD, then my DVD rom recognize it as a DVD.
- After performing last step I have been able to burn more dvds, for the back up I wanted to do in the first place, which are read in other pcs normally, but not in mine (unless I do the power dvd trick again)
- After my dvd rom read a dvd (remember, only works for copies) using the power dvd trick, that dvd can be read again normally, I meant without using power dvd, it's like my dvd rom remembers it.
- I updated my DVD rom firmware and didn’t work.
- I restored windows to past Saturday where everything was ok and didn’t work.
- Before this problem, my DVD rom had worked normally.
- My DVD ROM is a LG Super Multi DVD Rewriter. Model: GSA-H55N (it has the secur disc technology) Originally Firmware version was 1.04 and I updated to version 1.06.
- Cyberlink Power DVD came with my DVD ROM and is LG Cyberlink Power DVD v7. I also installed Power Produced, which came in the same cd and Nero suite, which also came with the DVD rom (it includes nero express 6 among other programs from nero) I haven’t tried to uninstall them.

Regards.

Shougo.

PcWinTech.com Forums

My DVD Rom only reads cds...
« on: August 11, 2009, 04:02:24 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: My DVD Rom only reads cds...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 05:04:11 PM »
Hey bud,
Just got home, wow do I have a lot to catch up on lol.

Now on your dvd-rom. The fact that powerDVD can read disks means the drive is working. But sounds like the Windows driver to read the disks isnt. PowerDVD uses its own driver to read the disks. (I may need to do a little research on this, on window reading dvd, its ben years since I had to mess with this)

So 2 things to try first.

1. go to device manager (Right click on my computer, Click manage, in there is Device Manager on the left.) Once in there go to the IDE devices, your dvd rom is most likely on the 2nd. See if it is using PIO mode, or DMA mode, and if it is using DMA mode what number? (We want it to be using DMA 2)

If it is using PIO mode the it will use 100% cpu when working with the disks. dvd & cd roms normally use DMA 2, I have had systems where windows would put it at DMA 4 and the drive would have a lot of problems working with disks. Thankfully I know how to fix it to make windows use DMA 2. (Simple reg edit trick)

2. Find the dvd rom in the device manager, uninstall it. After that go to the top, click action then scan for hardware changes. Windows should see it and reinstall it. Make sure it is showing up as a dvd rw drive and not just a cd drive.

You may or may not need to reboot after you uninstall it. Its normally good to do it though, up to you.

After that lets see how it goes.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Shougo

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 08:26:29 PM »
Hi, it's me again.

Regarding the PowerDVD trick, I don’t know if you read the part where I said that once a dvd is read using PowerDVD, my DVD ROM can read it normally (I mean without using PowerDVD)

Besides, as I told you, using the PowerDVD trick my DVD ROM has recognized blank DVD and I’ve been able to burn more DVDs that are read normally in other pcs.

Ok, now, back to your tips…

I went to the device manager thing (I used other route but the result is the same) and my DVD ROM (Location 0) is using DMA 2 mode, but my CD ROM (Location 1) is using PIO mode (see screens 01, 02, 03 and 04)

I don’t know if we need to change the PIO thing in the CD ROM, if we need to do it just tell me how and consider that done.

I uninstalled the DVD ROM just as you said and then I reinstalled it, windows saw it but the balloon said it was a CD ROM; although in My Computer it appears as a DVD ROM (Screens 05, 06, 07, 08, 09 and 10)

I rebooted the system and nothing new happened. By the way I must remind you that even with the PowerDVD trick my DVD ROM can’t read original dvds (it reads original cds though) so currently my dvd reads cds (original and copies) and non-original dvds (first I need to use the PowerDVD trick then it reads them normally)

Waiting for further instructions.

Shougo.

P.S.- I just sent you a mail with the screens.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:48:28 PM »
sorry, I am so tired I must have not of read your post thoroughly.

to put the cd rom out of pio mode just go to the same screen and in the same drop down box tell windows to use DMA. Just like the one above it in the picture. ( it is possible the dvd is the one in PIO mode, is your dvd set to master or slave in the case? if you dont know dont worry, just put it to DMA and see if it helps)

As long as windows sees the drive as a dvd burner then we are good there.

The fact that you can read the dvd's after powerdvd loads them up tells me it is making windows use the powerdvd codec. At least II want to make sure we cover this area as well.

Do you  have K Lite Codec pack installed by chance? if not here is the download
http://www.codecguide.com/download_k-lite_codec_pack_mega.htm

Basically it installs dang near every codec you will need to play almost anything. I use it myself, but I want to see if it helps as well.

Keep in mind your drive may be dieing, but its the powerdvd trick that is making me want to cover all the bases first.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 08:49:53 PM »
oh real quick bud, also try this

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060/EN-US/

Shane

(About Shane)

Shougo

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:00:30 PM »
My DVD is master and the CD is slave (I installed and jumped both) I did the DMA change for the CD.

I gotta go to bed now. Tomorrow I'll do the other stuff.

Thanks and good night.

Shougo.

P.S.- Before past sunday my dvd rom worked perfectly fine and I bought it a few months ago...

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 09:02:03 PM »
Let me know  how the other stuff goes. Right now Im having trouble thinking the drive is dead.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 10:16:52 PM »
Quote from: Shane
to put the cd rom out of pio mode just go to the same screen and in the same drop down box tell windows to use DMA.
This might not work as expected.  Windows changes an IDE drive to PIO mode as a fail safe mechanism and even if you manually change it back Windows is suppose to "ignore" your action.  If you want to ensure that Windows reverts to DMA mode properly you need to uninstall the IDE Channel in Device Manager and then reboot your system.  Windows will "discover" the IDE port again and re-install the channel and set it to the default DMA mode.

If you end up getting it to work without having to do this then just ignore this suggestion but if you find that no matter what you do, the drive stays in PIO mode this is the way to fix it.

Take care and let me know if you have any questions.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Shougo

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 07:55:31 PM »
Hi, it's me again.

Sorry for the delay I was pretty busy at the office the second half of this week and I couldn’t make any further test regarding my dvd rom… but now I’m back so let’s go.

1)   For Evan… thanks for the tip pal, but fortunately it worked fine with Shane instructions. Do you have another tip? Anything?
2)   I installed the K-Lite codec (actually I had already installed the combined community codec pack 09/21/2008 so what I really did was uninstalling the community one and installing the K-Lite)
3)   I also followed the instructions given in the Microsoft support URL you gave me.
4)   Nothing new… I’m pretty much in the same place so I made two more tests.
5)   I installed my DVD rom in another pc and it gave me the same problem and this system is very new and stable (it has only installed Windows XP service pack 3 and the basics and all the programs were installed just a few days ago)
6)   I borrowed another DVD rom and replaced mine in my own pc. The borrowed unit works ok and read DVDs normally.
7)   I installed both DVD roms; the borrowed one as master and mine as slave. The borrowed one worked fine and mine gave me the same problems.
8)   With both DVD roms installed at the same time I used mine to burn some DVDs, which were read ok by the borrowed unit. Furthermore, I burned a DVD from the borrowed unit to my unit and the process went ok.
9)   I just ran out of ideas here.

It’s my DVD rom officially dead now? But I can still burn DVDs, CDs with it… I think if at the and my DVD rom is dead I’ll by a new one but I’ll keep the old one to do the hard work (burning ^^)

Regards.

Shougo.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 09:12:02 PM »
Good testing bud :-) From the sounds of it the dvd rom is dead. The fact that you put it in another machine and it still fails, plus you put another drive in your system and it worked means it is not windows or a configuration problem. All fingers point to a bad drive.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 10:48:23 PM »
Quote from: Shougu
Do you have another tip? Anything?
Not right now.  If I think of something though I'll let you know.

Quote from: Shane
Good testing bud :-) From the sounds of it...
Yeah, what Shane said... 8)

It sounds like the drive is dying/dead.  At least you can still get some use out of it and new ones are cheap.  I have a "dead" drive in one of my computers...but it can still play my DVD back-ups (via virtual drives).  The drive "works"...it just won't open  ::) (so I can't load a physical disc...thank you NAS!!) ;D.  I guess it's a pain, but I'm still getting use out of it  ;D.

Anyways...you've tested more than most would and it looks like you've pretty much got it figured out.  Keep it if you want or tear it apart to see what it looks like on the inside ;).

Thanks for the update bud.

-Evan

Tonight's a stupid smiley night.   ::)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 10:58:16 PM by Evan »
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Shougo

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 03:49:13 AM »
Well, Thanks then.

I'll do what I said, I'm buying a new one and I'll keep the old one for burning (if it's not completely dead then I'm going to make it burn to death)

See ya.

Shougo.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2009, 03:49:13 AM »