Author Topic: Please I really need help in port forwarding  (Read 21140 times)

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Please I really need help in port forwarding
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 11:12:55 PM »
Got the screens, thanks bud.

Are you on a wireless internet service? Mobile broadband?

Reason why I ask is your router is set to EvDO Modem, which is http://www.evdoinfo.com/content/view/37/61/

If you are then I have bad news, you wont be able to get port forwarding working. Mobile internet is setup differently than other internet providers. All the connections are behind a giant network, kinda like being behind a proxy. So since you are behind another network you are not actually connected directly to the net like a normal connection would be. I dont know what options there is for port forwarding on this kind of setup, I don't use it my self and I haven't had the chance to find out.

If you are setup this way call the tech support and ask how to allow ports through for hosting a game or something. I'm very curious to what they say (If you do call them please let me know what you find out!). This could also explain your connections with your ftp as well. FTP in passive mode uses a lot of ports and connections, and if your internet IP is always changing this could explain the problem.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2009, 11:12:55 PM »

Shougo

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2009, 11:24:06 PM »
Well, I think I'm on a mobile broadband; in fact, the EvDO Modem option you mention in your post can't be changed (there's no more options to pick)

Tomorrow morning I'll give a call to my ISP... whatever they tell me I'll let you know.

Anyway, thanks for your help; I've learnt a lot this two days about port forwarding and how to solve netwotk problems.

Shougo.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2009, 11:27:24 PM »
Always happy to help.

I'm on vacation with the family (wife , 4 kids , all 7 years old and under. not my wife though lol)
They are all asleep. My stress level goes down when I work, I enjoy what I do.

If you need anything else, not just about port forwarding, let me know. You know where to reach me.

I'm off to bed, have a big day tomorrow again with the family.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Shougo

« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2009, 07:03:34 AM »
Great you're with your family... that's always good and it's true when you do something you really enjoy the stress level tends to go down. I'm married and I don't have kids yet; and speaking of family actually my wife did was at home yesterday and she didn't look very happy seeing me tied to the pc 'til 2am in the morning :-)

Ok, back to business... I'm about to call my ISP but before I wanted to say a coupkle of things I realized after turning off the computer:

1) The first time I used BitComet a couple days ago (immediately after installing it) it worked properly (i don't remember if the ports whether were blocked or not) but three hours later it just simpe decerased the speed...
2) Mu Cute_FTP gave me hell while I was talking to you yesterday to upload the screens to the server, but some hours later when I used it to delete the files it ran smoothly (the later the night the faster my connection gets if that explains something) In general terms, Cute_FTP has become pretty unstable. Sometimes it runs smoothly, sometimes it does not run at all, sometimes it runs with problems.

What do you think about it? I can't find a reasonable explanation... well back to that call..

Shougo.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2009, 06:56:01 PM »
Long day :-) Time for dinner.

Did you call your ISP yet and see what they say?

Also do you have the same problem with FTP on the 2nd system?

Shane

(About Shane)

Shougo

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2009, 04:49:35 PM »
Hi again.

I called my ISP and after several tries (many of the people who I talked with had no idea of port forwarding, which made me feel less ignorant by the way) somebody told me more or less what you had said before. They have no way to do port forwarding in my EvDO connection; the only solution they gave me is to upgrade to 3G technology, which they also offer (at a higher price he, he, he, everything must be said)

Other solution is to change my ISP, but I didn’t want to discuss that with them :-)

Regarding the FTP in the other system… actually that’s my wife’s laptop and I almost don’t use it; but every time I needed to use Cute_FTP didn’t have problems. I ought to make more tests to give you a better answer.

Today I use Cute_FTP again in my PC with no problems; it ran smoothly.

Eh, now that I’m writing… do you have some experience fixing DVD ROMs? Mine is acting kind of strange since yesterday. It suddenly stopped reading dvds and only reads cds; but the curious thing here is that if I open Cyberlink PowerDVD and try to read any dvd like a movie one, then my dvd rom reads it with no problems… weird… can you help me with it? Do I need to write a separated post? Where? In case you can’t… do you now a good forum where I can be helped?

Regards.

Shougo.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 09:26:30 PM »
Good to know I was right on the EvDO connection :-)

I will be more than happy to help with the dvd rom, just start a new thread :-)

I will be home in the afternoon, heading to be now.

Take care bud
Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2009, 09:26:30 PM »