Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: CS Fire Monitor Hanging at program start  (Read 12457 times)

madboyv1

CS Fire Monitor Hanging at program start
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:42:58 PM »
Hello, I've used CS FM for a number of years now, it is almost indispensable to me and use it all the time. I recently put together a new computer, but when CS Fire Monitor starts up (manually or at system startup) the program will hang for a few minutes at 10%. I've used version 3 on my other computer for some time as well as the computer the new computer is replacing without issue, so this is a new issue to me (though the program would pause 5-20 seconds around 85% if I had to restart the program after startup). Any ideas regarding this is greatly appreciated.

- MadboyV1

PcWinTech.com Forums

CS Fire Monitor Hanging at program start
« on: July 02, 2009, 11:42:58 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
the 10% mark is when it is
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2009, 01:19:51 AM »
the 10% mark is when it is loading all of its settings, all of which are stored in the reg.
What OS are you on now? If it is vista what happens when you run the program as admin?

CS Fire monitor is a 5 year old program now (wonder if I should release the source code to it some day) and I haven't seen the problem your having before. hhmm well besides running as admin is there any programs that might be interfering with it?
Whats is different between your old system and the new (software wise)?

Let me know :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

madboyv1

I am running Windows XP
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2009, 06:41:17 AM »
I am running Windows XP Professional as an administrator of the system, as I was for the other two computers, so permissions shouldn't be an issue but you never know these days... =p

My old desktop was more or less a basic backup computer in case of when my laptop was down (internet browsing, MS office use) and also acted as a NAS to my other computer. The new computer has software installed (in kind and amount) is similar to my main system, meaning a lot more loading at the beginning. Howeever this doesn't explain why my main computer is better off considering it loads more than the new computer does. All three have NOD32 as the resident virus scanner, though this new computer also has Malwarebytes and SuperAntiSpyware installed and loading at startup (turning those off from starting up at log in does not help.)

You say it loads settings from registry at 10%... you wouldn't think that would be too major of step, especially since the other older computers don't choke up there.

As for your comment about the age of your program, CS Fire Monitor is still a popular program for what it does, I could probably name at least a couple dozen people I have suggested the program to for its auditing/reporting functions, for the mini monitors and in a number of cases for cleanmem since its bundled with it, and that's just me. I'm sure other people that have downloaded it from CNET, MajorGeeks, etc have done what I have and essentially gloated about your program elswhere. =p That being said perhaps a second look at its code for optimizations, etc might be in order. =)

Well if push comes to shove I could revert back to version 2.5.5 and see if that helps, but I'm hoping that this will clear itself out, or that you have some suggestion.

edit: I reverted back to 2.5.5 and load time was maybe 2 seconds, no lag at all. What could version 3 be doing different?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
odd, all I did with v3 vs
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 08:09:38 AM »
odd, all I did with v3 vs 2.5.5 was change the way the bandwidth monitor loads up because vista freaking loads a bunch of crap with the api call I use. When I load up v3 on my xp it loads in about 3 - 4 sec.

So what on earth is it trying to read that is slowing it down?

See the loading progress bar is a max value of 50. in the code every few commands I have it add one to the progress bar.

when v3 is slowing down what does the splash screen say it is doing? I have text on there that should tell you.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

madboyv1

sorry for not getting back to
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:30:20 AM »
sorry for not getting back to you. Software wise there is almost no difference between the new computer and the laptop, though between the computer this new one is replacing this new one has a lot more software.

Installing 2.5.5 fixed the issue when I was using XP, which was partially the reason why I forgot to respond. I'm trying Windows 7 now and have noticed a couple of things that are off, and will post in a new thread eventually.

PcWinTech.com Forums

sorry for not getting back to
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009, 01:30:20 AM »