Author Topic: How do I know speed of wireless adapter?  (Read 79 times)

Offline wajed

• PcWinTech Full Member
How do I know speed of wireless adapter?
« on: July 05, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »
Hello,
I have an ad-hoc network this way

the main PC has a built-in wireless adapter ("ac" grade) with both: 1) hosting ad-hoc network 2) connection to internet (unrelated to ad-hoc)
and the second PC has: 1) a built-in wireless adapter connected to Internet 2) and an external wireless adapter (claiming 300Mbps N network speed)

I've connected the 2 PCs with input Director, which has file sharing functionality. the speed of files sharing is around 4-5MB/s

5MB/s is no where 300Mbps claimed for the dedicated adapter, and no where close to the 'ac' built-in adapter (in the main PC)

how do I know the (standalone only) speed of both these adapters? (meaning: what is the full speed of each of these adapters?)

--

if the 300Mbps adapter is the bottleneck, I know to maybe look for a better one
if the ac adapter is the bottleneck, I know I would need to buy another (external) adapter
(I need to know what are my actual hardware speeds to know what to do)
Execuse me for the long post...!

PcWinTech.com Forums

How do I know speed of wireless adapter?
« on: July 05, 2019, 09:01:56 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: How do I know speed of wireless adapter?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:47:28 PM »
4-5 MB/s = 32 - 40 Mb/s

That's a little low, but you will never get 300 Mb/s = 37.5 MB/s out of that adapter, see https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r32434290- - there's just too many things going on with wireless networking and that "300 Mb/s" is a marketing number.

Sure, you will get faster if you use an ac adapter in the second PC, particularly one that uses the 5 GHz band.  But even then, don't expect what the numbers tell you...AC1200 will not get you 1200 Mb/s.

I highly recommend this article in unpacking the marketing numbers of wifi equipment -- https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/03/802-eleventy-what-a-deep-dive-into-why-wi-fi-kind-of-sucks/

Otherwise, there's nothing like the PITP* protocol...

Regards

*Proof's In The Pudding.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: How do I know speed of wireless adapter?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2019, 02:47:28 PM »