Author Topic: Connect to golden ftp server from the internet  (Read 21640 times)

Offline ashmax

• PcWinTech Member
Connect to golden ftp server from the internet
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:03:39 AM »
Hi i have GOLDEN FTP SERVER installed and working fine, the only problem is that can anyone tell me how an internet user would connect to my machine "FTP SERVER" I have forwarded port 21, but i still cant connect, I have set an static ip address in the router "netgear WGR614 v9"

I have used the Simple static ip tool but it doesnt pick up the same as my wan ip address, and the router is set to the wan ip. Am I on the right track?

Any help would be appreciated, as im pretty new to this.
Regards
Ash

PcWinTech.com Forums

Connect to golden ftp server from the internet
« on: June 22, 2009, 08:03:39 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Good morning :-) ok lets get
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2009, 09:05:24 AM »
Good morning :-)

ok lets get you taken care of. First let me explain the need for static IP.
First you don't need to set your IP in the netgear to static unless your ISP tells you, otherwise when they change your IP on their end your internet will stop working.

Static IP is for your local computer only. When your internet IP goes into your router that is known as the WAN (Wide area network) address, or internet IP. That is given to the router. Since you only get 1 IP like these normally the router then handles the internet to your local computers. The router gives them a local IP, like 192.168.1.100 and so forth. These are only for the local network and are not used on the net.

A port forwarding rule tells the router where to send a connection when it comes in. So if you set up a port forwarding rule for your local IP and your IP later changes the port forwarding rule will no longer work as it is pointing to the old IP. So we make the local IP on your computer static so it never changes.

Also on a side note, a lot of ISP's block port 21 and port 80. They dont like people hosting ftp and web servers. so a good rule of thumb is to change the default port from 21 to something else in the ftp program.

Let me know if you still need help :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline ashmax

• PcWinTech Member
port forward
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2009, 10:28:44 AM »
Hi there

Many thanks for trying to help me out its really appreciated, as it is getting really frustrating trying to set this all up for the first time.

I understand that your PC "localhost" has an an IP like 192.168.1.100 etc... and your internet IP "wan" has an IP like 86.3.101.199 but if im running an home ftp server like GOLDEN FTP SERVER how can people ftp to my machine,what address would they use? im sure they would have to use my wan address? and then use the username and password I have set up inside the FTP SERVER.

I can connect to my FTP server if I go to a local address just not from wan, im not sure what im doing wrong, if its a port that needs to be forwarded or something like that. What im trying to do id give my mother in South Africa access to particular files on my pc.

Thank you again for your time and trouble.
Ash

Offline ashmax

• PcWinTech Member
port forward
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2009, 10:31:42 AM »
Was thinking on the lines of setting the IP to static inside the netgear router, then using a service like DynDns not sure.... :(

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
dyndns is a good idea.You
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2009, 10:40:00 AM »
dyndns is a good idea. (Dynamic DNS)

You give the user your WAN ip address and the port number. But your going to need to setup a port forwarding rule.

How a router works is this.
A connection from the internet comes in, the router looks at it and what port it came in on. It checks to see if there is a rule on what to do with it (port forwarding) if there is no rule the connection is dropped, otherwise the connection is sent to the computer the port forwarding rule says.

This is why being behind a router is safer than being directly on the net. But also why port forwarding is so important.

So in your case you need to setup 2 port forwarding rules. The first rule is for the ftp port itself (currently 21, you should change it though) then the 2nd rule if for the passive mode ports. These are different ports the ftp server will use to transfer the files, check the help file of the ftp program to see what ports it needs. It should be a range like 50000 - 51000, it all depends on the program.

If you need help let me know, I can hunt down the help file and see what I can find.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline ashmax

• PcWinTech Member
port forward
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 12:33:58 AM »
Hi there, thanks again for all the information and your time, its making things a little clearer. The thing is that GFTP is not giving me a place to input my wan or local address it just sets a local one as default. And I cant seem to find documentation on how users would connect to my ftp server, All of them explain how to set it up for local use but I havent come across instructions on how to set it up for internet users to be able to connect.

I can get it to work on local no problem. >> ftp://user@192.168.56.1/the sharing folder <<

As you suggested I have got GFTP to use port 441"random" and forwarded that inside the router aswell as I have forwarded passive mode ports. But when I visit my wan address its a Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage message.

Maybe I should set a static ip inside my router "wan" then go to my routers Dynamic DNS section, fill out my dyndns account information "host name, username,password" etc.. I have set up "serv-u ftp server" this way before and had no problem, but then again serv-u auto configured the router, and this was on a server, not my home machine which is what i want.

or I should just try another ftpserver. Do you know of a fairly simple home ftp servers that I could try/use.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
keep in mind that some
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2009, 12:40:33 AM »
keep in mind that some routers wont let you connect to yourself through your WAN ip (The connections goes out and then back in, some routers don't handle that well). You need to have someone else try and connect to you.

Just give them your WAN ip and the port for your ftp.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline ashmax

• PcWinTech Member
Success setting up FTP server with port forwarding
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2009, 01:03:28 PM »
Hi there, Great, I have managed to do it using Filezilla FTP Server, and DYNDNS / NO-IP service. Installed filezilla ftp server, and went through the setup leaving everything as default, created a user and password, then added a shared folder also making sure that all the permission boxes were checked for that folder, then headed over to dyndns.org got a free account, it automatically got my wan address. Then made sure that the ports was forwarded in the router, I currently have FTP port 20 -21 /  forwarded and Dynamic DNS set up with the username and password I used. If your router doesnt have the option to input your Dynamic DNS info, use NO-IP as that still works as well.

After all that was setup I popped some files into the folder I specified in filezilla ftp server, and to test I then went to the "dyndns url" I got with my account typing ftp://your_dyndnsurl.com in "Internet Explorer" , then entered my username and password I specified in the filezilla ftp server setup and I logged in no problem. So now all people would have to do now is enter there details in their ftp client to connect to my machine.

FTP client info:

Ftp site -- "your wan ip or dyndns hostname"
Default directory -- "left blank"
username -- "what you set up in your ftp server"
password -- "what you set up in your ftp server"

and because your wanip sometime changes you can use the dyndns/no ip updater tools that you can get from their sites.

So thank you once again, for all your time and trouble and hope this helps someone possible having the same trouble as I did.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Glad to hear you go it
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »
Glad to hear you go it working.
Take care!
Shane

(About Shane)

PcWinTech.com Forums

Glad to hear you go it
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2009, 10:39:02 AM »