Author Topic: Another Start Up On XP  (Read 18283 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Another Start Up On XP
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:21 AM »
I notice that during a power up (a rare event) sequence the HKCU/RUN out of the start folder doesn't get run. So after a full power up sequence I have to then do a Restart to get all the applications feom HKCU/RUN going.

Is that normal -- HKCU/RUN will run on a Restart but not on a power up?

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

Another Start Up On XP
« on: May 27, 2009, 08:17:21 AM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
HKCU/RUN...I assume you're
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:53:06 AM »
HKCU/RUN...I assume you're talking about HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run.  Anything in that key should start every time the computer is started (Reboot, Cold Start, etc...).  There is also a "RunOnce" key (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce) that only runs it's contents...once.

Can you consistantly reproduce the problem or provide any details or screenshots?

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Consistent?
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 05:32:33 PM »
I don't really know if happens ALL the time. I have seen 2 for 2 out of the last 2 power ups I have done. The thing is, it pretty rare for me to power down -- our system typically is hot 24/7 and for the most part is in use around 22/7. So who knows?

As for keys -- I know nothing from keys -- never touch them. I have a freeware called Start CPL. It will show me that there are five start folders called --  Sartup (user), Startup (Common), Run Once, KHCU/RUN, and HKLM/RUN. I guess I kinda thought that all of them would run on a power up.

I have another freeware gem called HDDHealth (monitors hard disk temp.) which is located in HKCU/RUN and it doesn't start with a power up but does if I do a restart.

So that's what generated the question.

Mac

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Maybe Not
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2009, 11:45:17 AM »
I had to power down again this morning (different problem). When I powered back up everything (including HDD Health)came up. So that just leaves me completly bewildered.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
You could have a memory
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2009, 01:07:52 PM »
You could have a memory problem.  Memory errors are typically very eratic.  Try using Memtest86+ which can be downloaded here.  This is a Zip file containing the ISO (exact bootable image) that you will need to burn to blank disc in order to use.

When you mention StartUp CPL are you talking about this program?  There are plenty of other options available to look at your startup details.  I'd personally choose Autoruns from Microsoft's Sysinternals which you can download here.  You can also Run Autoruns Now from http://live.sysinternals.com/.  If you want to look at info from all of the free Sysinternals tools then look at the Sysinternals Utilities Index.

There isn't any good reason I can think of, other than some bad hardware or some really sneaky malware, that a Registry Run key wouldn't get run.

Take a look through those links and let me know what you think.

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Just a quick reply.
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2009, 05:38:12 PM »
Just a quickie to say, yes that is Mike Lin's program that I have been using.

Thanks for the pointers to other 'stuff'. I reckon (maybe) tomorrow I will see if this laptop will burn a CD. I'm not sure if I can burn 1 on the Gateway -- you'll remember I still have that other problem with the DVD (I'm guessing that it will impact the other drive's ability to write).

WOW -- I just looked at the link for System Internals. A whole boatload of freebies.

I just followed the link to Autoruns. OMG. You remember how your Mother always told you not to run with scissors? Autoruns looks kinda like that -- if you fall down (as in make a MISTAKE) you could really hurt yourself. It has way too much 'stuff' for me.

Thanks

Mac

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
SysInternals
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 03:32:49 AM »
Looking at the SysInternals index I can see where some of them would be useful but I don't see where the System Requirements is listed. If the program talks about using some NT stuff should you conclude that it is strictly for NT (whatever that is)?

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Autoruns shows more than
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 05:38:23 AM »
Autoruns shows more than anything.  It can be overwhelming but you can do two things to help you navigate:

1. Navigate using the tabs...the "Everything Tab" is a lot.

2. Try looking under the options and set it to "hide all Microsoft entries" and then refresh

Most of the items you'd want to turn off would be under Internet Explorer, Explorer, and Log On.  You can always just "uncheck" them to see if everything is okay.  After that you can go in and re check the item.  If you confident..you can delete the entry entirely.  I think you can also save the info.

There are other tools out there that help with startup items but this is the single, largest, dedicated resourse for that purpose.  :)

-Evan

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
All of Sysinternals tools
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 05:44:07 AM »
All of Sysinternals tools will work on your XP machines.  "NT" refers to the underlying architecture of the Operating System (in this case NT=New Technology).  All modern computers fall into this catergory.

Look through the top downloads section.  Personally, I can't stand using Task Manager after I learned about Process Explorer.  If you computer is "hung" or doing something funny it is one of the best tools around to figure it out.  All of the Sysinternals tools have excelent programming, are highly reliable, very small in size, and none have to be installed (you can just download or run the executable).

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
NT - Well how dumb.
« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 07:47:22 AM »
Thanks, I really feel like a dummy. I was thinking that NT dealt with some kind of networking 'stuff'.

I've been using Process Explorer for quite awhile. However, now with my new found knowledge (NT indeed!) I will go look at some more. Thanks again for the pointers.

Mac

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
About that memory test.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »
This is pretty stupid but now that I have the memtest downloaded to my laptop I haven't a clue how to burn it to a disk.

Sorry Evan, time for some more hand holding.

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

About that memory test.
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 11:30:43 AM »

email