Author Topic: Connecting to Home Desktop VPN?  (Read 236 times)

Offline seanmcg182

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Connecting to Home Desktop VPN?
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:09:25 PM »
Hey, so I recently built a new desktop, and purchased a domain, and set up Dynamic DNS on my computer. Computer is Running Windows 10-64Bit.

So, to start off with
- when I ping my domain from an external location, I do see that the IP Address being pinged is indeed the IP Address of my home.
- On the home desktop I have set up an  "Incoming Connection" through the windows Network Adapter screen. I believe the port that windows uses for it's built in VPN stuff is 1723.
- I have added rules in my Defender Firewall to allow Port 1723 on both TCP and UDP.
- I have added Port Forwarding in my Router to forward port 1723 on both UPD and TCP to my desktop's local static IP Address. The router is set up to Always give my desktop the same IP address based on the MAC Address.
- I have checked with my ISP and they are not blocking any ports
- My Avast Antivirus does not have a firewall activated as I am using the free version.
- The PCWinTech Port Tester is saying the ports are open (My Local IP address is in the box at the top, not my external IP Address, but if it's coming from an external source, it has to hit my external IP First, so that shouldn't be an issue)
- All online Port testers say that the port is CLOSED.
- When I try to connect to the VPN From the remote computer (on different network), it is set up with mydomainname.com (obviously my actual domain name is used, I'm just not typing it publicly) as the host name, It is set up as a PPTP VPN.
- I type in my VPN Username And Password (which are set up on the desktop), and I leave the Domain field blank, as the computer is not part of a domain.

- I have attempted to add the Desktop to the DMZ of the router.
- I have attempted Disabling all Windows Defender Firewalls, Router Firewalls, and my overall antivirus, still with no luck.

The Remote Computer then responds with "ERROR 807: The Network Connection between Your Computer and The VPN Server Was Interrupted"

Any tips or suggestions? No solution I've found online so far has worked.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Connecting to Home Desktop VPN?
« on: April 24, 2019, 10:09:25 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Connecting to Home Desktop VPN?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2019, 08:20:43 AM »
While I could post by entire checklist, I think I know what is going on.

Here are some notes about listening:

a) If you are on Windows I point you to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28609/how-can-i-tell-what-is-listening-on-a-tcpip-port-in-windows/

b) If you are not on Windows (Mac, Unix/Linux), go look lookup listen on port and then your OS name using Google (or your other favorite search engine).

c) If nothing is listening any TCP ports that you check with a web based port checker, then TCP ports does not show up as open.

d) Be advised that you can not have two servers listening on the same the port on the same computer. So for example before you use an inbond-client side port checker you must make sure that uTorrent is not running - which explains on http://portforward.com/softwareguides/utorrent/utorrent.htm that they say

If uTorrent is currently open, you will need to completely close it at this time. Make sure that the green uTorrent icon is not still hiding in your notification area (next to your clock). If it is, right click on it and choose "Exit". Before moving forward to things like selecting torrents, seeders, and leachers, we need to verify that your port is open. We recommend downloading our free Open Port Check Tool to test if incoming connections are being allowed through your router on your uTorrent Listening Port

e) And generally if the program/app is running that you are trying to forward for, then the server is listening.

Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline seanmcg182

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »
While I could post by entire checklist, I think I know what is going on.

Here are some notes about listening:

a) If you are on Windows I point you to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28609/how-can-i-tell-what-is-listening-on-a-tcpip-port-in-windows/

b) If you are not on Windows (Mac, Unix/Linux), go look lookup listen on port and then your OS name using Google (or your other favorite search engine).

c) If nothing is listening any TCP ports that you check with a web based port checker, then TCP ports does not show up as open.

d) Be advised that you can not have two servers listening on the same the port on the same computer. So for example before you use an inbond-client side port checker you must make sure that uTorrent is not running - which explains on http://portforward.com/softwareguides/utorrent/utorrent.htm that they say

If uTorrent is currently open, you will need to completely close it at this time. Make sure that the green uTorrent icon is not still hiding in your notification area (next to your clock). If it is, right click on it and choose "Exit". Before moving forward to things like selecting torrents, seeders, and leachers, we need to verify that your port is open. We recommend downloading our free Open Port Check Tool to test if incoming connections are being allowed through your router on your uTorrent Listening Port

e) And generally if the program/app is running that you are trying to forward for, then the server is listening.

I have just tested this.. According to netstat -ab, svchost.exe is indeed listening on port 1723 on TCP, which i believe is the expected behavior. No other service/program is using that port.
For UDP, 1723 does not show up.

While I do not use Utorrent, I do have qBittorent, however it is not running. (double checked task manager to verify)

EDIT: I did run PCWinTech's Port check tool right after making this post, and it was telling me that the 1723 Port was in Use on UDP (not sure why it wasn't showing up in NetStat or CurrPort??) I am under the impression that it was in use by Teamviewer, which I was using at the time to try the netstat commands.. I would like to emphasize though that I was not using Teamviewer at the time of my initial testing/setup, and when I ran the Port Tester originally, it showed as a success.

When I get home from work I will attempt closing Teamviewer entirely and trying again.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 11:09:41 AM by seanmcg182 »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2019, 11:01:33 AM »