Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Real Basic Stuf  (Read 22647 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
More on Dual WAN
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 07:40:36 AM »
WOW!! That puppy sounds like EXACTLY what I want (if I can afford it & you can lead me the way to installation). I just discussed the advantages with my wife and it's a done deal (with the above caveats (sp?)).

How comfortable are you with the installation of one of these? And do you have one you would recommend?

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

More on Dual WAN
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2009, 07:40:36 AM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Start with a Wireless Router
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2009, 01:09:00 PM »
Mac,

Regardless of whether you end up purchasing a Dual WAN Router you will need a wireless router to connect your laptop.  The simplest "bang for your buck" Wireless Router (that I'm personally familiar with) is the Linksys WRT54GL.  You can read the product page for more information and see a list of retailers.

To save you some trouble, I'd recommend purchasing from either newegg.com or Amazon.com.  Both sites have the price hidden (untill you add to your shopping cart) but they are also both selling it for $54.95 (about a 20% savings) with free shipping.

I'd pick one up from whichever you are more comfortable with.  If you'd rather try out the product first then you can pick up a standard WRT54G from BestBuy and maybe be able to return it and get your money back.  That might or might not work though....just look into it.

Let me know how it goes.  Sorry for the late response.  Work and family keeping me busy always :)

Edit:  I just looked at the TRENDnet TEW-652BRP Wireless N Home Router from www.Buy.com and it looks to be a better router in every way...and it's cheaper.  I'll leave that up to you Mac (unless someone has something to add).

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Better/Cheaper?
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2009, 05:21:49 PM »
For you to say that the TRENDnet looks better goes a long way since I know you own the WRT54G. I just bought a USB DVD R/W drive (I decided that was better than breaking into the case -- Major Coward) and I was very pleased with the free and VERY fast shipping. I have also purchased stuff through Amazon (not quite as happy but they were ok). So I guess I would go with one of those. Unless you are someone else in the forum has had personal experience with Buy.com I would probably take a close look at the price differential and it would have to be pretty steep for me to stray from vendors I have used and approve of.

So anyone (Evan that obviously includes you) that has had dealings with Buy.com just jump right in here.

Mac

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
One on the way!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2009, 03:20:17 AM »
Well no one said anything for or against Buy.Com so I went with the one from Buy.com (cheap won out). It's on it's way.

Evan, expect a bunch of updates/questions on this forum. LOL

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Let me know when it arrives
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2009, 08:56:03 PM »
Let me know when it arrives and we will get you up and running!

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
It's Here!
« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2009, 03:07:15 PM »
I am now the proud owner of a TRENDnet TEW-652BRP -- I installed it using all the defaults. I currently have the Router running through my DSL modem. I can get to the Internet from my laptop with no wires coming into the laptop (understand that the router is about 6 inches away from the laptop -- so no distance checking yet).

My location is in a closet about 100 feet from the satellite modem. Tomorrow I would like to move the router into the study and hook it up to the satellite modem. What I don't understand is; will I need to make changes to the router? Right now when we switch from DSL to the Satellite we go into the LAN Settings and check the block for 'use a proxy server' and the block for 'bypass proxy for local addresses'. Will that be the only thing I need to change or do I need to make changes in the router?

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Congrats on your purchase
« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2009, 06:06:00 PM »
Mac,

I expect that you will have to make some changes.  Luckily you can save the changes and load them as needed.  So to start, can you tell me the name of your Satellite provider and model of your modem?  Do you have to run any software on your computer in order to connect via satellite?

When you get a chance you should attempt hooking up the Satellite to the router and see if you can get through.  I don't think you will but but you should still try.  Also, don't change any settings on the router because right now you have it working and you want to make sure you it stays that way.

You should save your settings as they are now.  You will need to log into your router and go to the Tools tab on the left side.  Then select the Settings option and you will see a familiar screen to save your settings.  That way if you need to restore the settings you can at any time.

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Well Shucks
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2009, 05:00:25 AM »
Yesterday I followed the 'quick start' and got the router installed. Part of that includes creating a new id and password, which I did. Today it won't let me in. I've tried variations and even the original -- nothing works. So I reckon I'm kind of 'up a creek without a paddle'. Unless someone here knows how to force your way in. I filled out a trouble ticket with Trendnet but they don't work weekends.

Edit -- well it turns out that it in fact changed the password BUT it did NOT change the ID. Don't even try to imagine how many variations of 'stuff' I tried before I hit the right answer. I'm going to leave the ticket open with Trendnet, hoping they will provide me with a backdoor (for next time).

So once I got in I looked around, it looked just like you said -- Tools on the left and Settings inside Tools and a save Settings option. So that is now done. That was pretty scary Evan, I'm starting to think you have done this before. LOL

I moved the router and modem to the study and was still able to connect the laptop wirelessly. Signal strength is low but it is connected. I don't expect a lot of interference here inside the house so I reckon it's gonna fly.

Next step is to bring the router to the desktop and see if I can insert the router into the desktop's life. The satellite is HughesNet, the modem is model HN7000S. As for software, I don't really know. Some software was installed when the modem was originally installed but I do not run any additional software when I switch from DSL to satellite. Looking at Task Master I don't see a process taking cycles while we are on satellite.

I have edited and re-edited this thing so many times now that I've got a headache. LOL
I brought the router to the study -- plugged the desktop into a LAN port and the satellite modem into the WAN port. Lo and Behold -- it works!!!

I just took the 41 pace wlk to the laptop and it is connected via wireless -- this is looking good.

Sooo, now we are at the point (I think) where we try to set up things to share 'stuff'. What to do?? No clue. Poetic licenses sold here -- no waiting.

And yet another edit -- it is obvious that my wife will NOT be able to handle switching cables from satellite to DSL. I need a DualWan solution pretty quick. Evan, seen any good ones yet?

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Hey Mac, Evan called me and
« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 12:12:51 PM »
Hey Mac, Evan called me and wanted me to let you know a storm has knock out his power and that it wont be back on till monday. He didn't want you to think he wasn't responding :-)

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Thanks
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2009, 01:33:29 PM »
Thanks to both of you. I've kinda been waiting with bated breath for Evan. Sorry to hear about the weather. We've had some rough stuff too, lost satallite for about an hour and of course DSL goes down if it just thunders a little.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Dual WAN Router Models
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2009, 06:49:00 AM »
Mac,

Since it sounds like you will need a Dual WAN Router.  The following 2 products are the lowest priced products I've found that will do what you want.  These 2 appear to be the best cost effective models.

The Netgear FVS124G is only $179.24 and should do everything you need (including WAN failover).  You can read more about it here. The Linksys RV042 can be found for less (from $149.86 - $199.99) but you will need to manually control the WAN failover.  You can read more about it here.

***The Netgear models provide an automatic WAN failover mechanism that, once configured, will handle the dropped connection you expect to see.***

The NetGear ProSafe FVS336G (Data Sheet - PDF) is a newer model of the Netgear FVS124G.  It is priced around $300 as of this writing.  Take a look at available online retailers and read SmallNetBuilder's review for more information.  

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Done Reading
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2009, 10:04:50 AM »
Evan, thanks for all the pointers to reading material. I did TRY to read it all but my knowledge level kept getting in the way. I found a USED Netgear FVS124G (supposedly used less than a week and in perfect running order).

EDIT:
I actually found 3 of them on EBay. I asked questions and got the same answer from all 3 (different people). There is no Documentation -- you can get it on-line (PDF). There is no software -- one of the answers I got to that was that it required no software -- it is configured via a Web Browser. I can't imagine all 3 of them are in cahoots, so I reckon it's true.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
FVS124G should work fine
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »
The Netgear FVS124G should serve you fine.  Look into the usual buying questions: Can you return it, is the Warranty still good, price comparison, etc..

By getting the older one you could run into some performance bottle necks down the road, but you don't need to worry about that now.  Remember, this is suppose to be for a Small Business not for home use.  If you got the newest model you'd pay a premium for capabilities you don't need and won't use (you'll get some of that with this too).  You aren't going to find the WAN fail over feature though in any home models at this point.

Whenever you're ready to purchase that will be your next step.

-Evan

PcWinTech.com Forums

FVS124G should work fine
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2009, 10:07:25 AM »