Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Can't Read Disks  (Read 37683 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
LiteOn.
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »
I verified that the drive is the one I originally stated. I downloaded the Driver? Firmware? Also, printed the instruction sheet you pointed me to. Ran out of time on the Gateway (wife got up extremely early (for her anyway)). Back on the laptop now (relegated to the kitchen again). But perhaps we can some work done on teaching how routers work in the other forum -- anyhow, I don't anything pressing to do today -- still messing around with the laptop.

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

LiteOn.
« Reply #30 on: May 17, 2009, 09:08:26 AM »

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Last Reply (Lost)?
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2009, 03:08:58 AM »
I can't seem to get the forum software to take me to the last reply in this thread -- not sure but I'm pretty sure it was around May 15.

My update (hopefully will go to the end) is:

I closed everything, unzipped driver? firmware?, and ran the exe.

What I got was:

No Matched Drive Detected
This Utility Is Only For
LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S
Detected Drives:
0000 D: LITE-ON DVDRW SOHW-832S VTS
0010 E: HL-DT-STCD--ROM GCR-8483B 1.00

I'm thinking that one of those 0's on D: should have been a 1.
BTW, I got the SIW installed, so if there is something you want to know about I'll bring it up. Otherwise, what next? Want to uninstall/reinstall the channel? Re: TeamViewer  -- got it but would probably be limited to before 6AM my time. I'm in Central Zone.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Firmware should work
« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2009, 12:15:41 PM »
Mac,

That firmware is correct.  The "This Utility Is Only For" names the same drive that is detected.  Either that means the firmware is up to date or there is an issue related to the drive and would be something you'd have to check with Lite-On about.

I can try and check into it further with TeamViewer but you're talking VERY early.  I'd more likely be up still rather than having woke up for the day based off your posting times.  What are good hours for you? 4-6AM Central time?

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
CST
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2009, 01:41:44 PM »
As a general rule I get up around 2:30 AM. No set time, just when I wake up. Today for example I went to bed at 8:30 PM and got up at 2:30. That's pretty typical plus or minus an hour. Will normally go to sleep around 8:30, wake up variable from 4.0 hours to 7.5 hours.

If you're gonna be up then let me know, but I really don't want you to stay up late just for me. Just sometime when you are up late let me know. There is no fire burning on this problem just something that needs to be attended to.

Gotta brag a little. My youngest daughter got her two year degree (already started working on her Batchelors). The best part is she is a full time Mom (3 KIds and volunteer work at the church) and finished Magnum Cum Laude!!!!

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
There's a good chance I'll be
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2009, 02:19:06 PM »
There's a good chance I'll be up around when you wake up at least a few times a week.  I can help you out if you want but either you need to get in touch with me via email or come up with something creative.

Congrates on your youngest daughter, trying to balance school and family is no easy chore.

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
EMail will work.
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2009, 03:18:00 PM »
What I'll do is EMail you each morning when I get on the system. If you're around then we can do the TeamViewer, if not then maybe next time. Sooner or later we'll connect. Your EMail is *@pcwintech.com correct?

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Thats correct. I removed the
« Reply #36 on: May 20, 2009, 07:14:08 AM »
Thats correct.  I removed the address to keep from spam bots catching it and flooding my inbox.

I'm in the same time zone as you, but I'm a more typical awake for the day and asleep at night type schedule.  I just have a few nights out of the week I stay up very late working or just otherwise can't sleep.

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
EMail
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2009, 08:00:37 AM »
We'll connect sooner or later. I didn't send you an Email this morning because I had a poker tournament that was going to start pretty soon. Not to mention that I have to down a couple of cups of coffee before I'm willing to talk to anyone.

Mac

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Uninstall Channel
« Reply #38 on: May 31, 2009, 06:01:36 AM »
I got up SUPER late this morning, which meant it was too late to enter any poker tournaments. So I went ahead (using the instructions about 5 or 6 posts back) to uninstall and reinstall the channel. After the uninstall I did the reboot and got a 'new harware found', -- bubble said it was the channel. At the end of the reboot I inserted a DVD. It came up empty once again.

If you can think of something else to try then let me know and I'll do it.

If not then I reckon it is time to buy a USB DVD R/W drive. Using Google I see an awful lot of them. Do you have one that you would recommend?

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
I'm glad you were able to
« Reply #39 on: May 31, 2009, 10:06:02 AM »
I'm glad you were able to follow the steps...it sounds like that process worked just fine.  Did you have any trouble at all with the insructions?

If that didn't fix your problem then the only, realistictly, things you can do now is find the correct firmware (I'm not sure where that got messed up..) and open the case and make sure your data cable has a secure and correct connection (and that it's not damaged).

You are just better off buying an external drive though.  I'd recommend going over to www.newegg.com and searching there.  If you find one you like then go back over to google and search for reviews on the particular drive.  Just to make sure you can get the most out of your dive make sure you look for a DVD R/W DL (Dual Layer).  The dual layer will let you write twice as much info to a disc than a regular DVD RW drive.  Though movies are probably the only thing you use that for (and the DL discs cost more) so you could save money skipping the DL version most likely.

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Powered Hub
« Reply #40 on: June 13, 2009, 02:12:43 AM »
I got a USB DVD R/W drive from NewEgg. At first it looked as though the drive was not going to work on the desktop so I moved it to the laptop. It worked there and the only differences I could see were the firmware (driver) and a powered hub. We made a trip to Sam's and got another powered hub. That was the answer. With a powered hub the drive works everywhere. So now I can read/write CDs/DVDs on both systems (if I move the drive). Never was successful in getting a newer driver in place but I guess I don't need it.

So now I can read the 'restore' disk that came with the system. I shudder to think of what it would require to start from 9/2003 and build my system back up from there. Been more than a few changes in the last 6 (almost 7) years.

Time to close this forum item out and go back to the item on 'system back-ups'.

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Powered Hub fixed it.
« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 07:23:27 AM »
Great to hear that the powered Hub fixed your issue.  Now that you have a working solution you can always go back and see if you can get the old drive working...though you certainly don't need to. :)

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
You're Right
« Reply #42 on: June 16, 2009, 11:25:00 AM »
You should know by now that laziness is the watch word around here -- so having a working drive is going to put this thing (forum item) to bed. However, now that that solution is in place it is time to return to the 'Backup Fails' and see if that can be resolved. Last update was mine. Your turn. LOL

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Can Read Discs Again
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 06:09:22 AM »
Lets consider this closed then.

-Evan

PcWinTech.com Forums

Can Read Discs Again
« Reply #43 on: June 18, 2009, 06:09:22 AM »