Author Topic: when server not running I get success but when server is running I get failed  (Read 1280 times)

Offline skyhouse71

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Is this the way it is supposed to work?  I am trying to set up a minecraft server and have forwarded the ports on my linksys router.  When I run your tool without the server running I get this:
Port            Status     Open?
25565 TCP                Success
25565 UDP                Success

When I start the server and run the tool I get:
Port            Status         Open?
25565 TCP  Port in use   Failed
25565 UDP                    Success

I am running the tool on the server computer.

Dave

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Yes, that is the way it is supposed to work.

Here are some notes about listening:

a) If you are on Windows I point you to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28609/how-can-i-tell-what-is-listening-on-a-tcpip-port-in-windows/

b) If you are not on Windows (Mac, Unix/Linux), go look lookup listen on port and then your OS name using Google (or your other favorite search engine).

c) If nothing is listening any TCP ports that you check with a web based port checker, then TCP ports does not show up as open.

d) Be advised that you can not have two servers listening on the same the port on the same computer. So for example before you use an inbond-client side port checker you must make sure that uTorrent is not running - which explains on http://portforward.com/softwareguides/utorrent/utorrent.htm that they say

If uTorrent is currently open, you will need to completely close it at this time. Make sure that the green uTorrent icon is not still hiding in your notification area (next to your clock). If it is, right click on it and choose "Exit". Before moving forward to things like selecting torrents, seeders, and leachers, we need to verify that your port is open. We recommend downloading our free Open Port Check Tool to test if incoming connections are being allowed through your router on your uTorrent Listening Port

e) And generally if the program/app is running that you are trying to forward for, then the server is listening.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline skyhouse71

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
well, bummer than.  It seems the ports are open but no outside computer can actually get on the server... I keep getting the "timed out" message.  I guess I got to figure out something else. Thanks.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
To better assist you, it would help to know what:

Is the brand and model of your router?

In the meantime as I wait your reply, I answer my own question based upon the equipment that I have.

Linksys E4200 Hardware Version one. It is running the third firmware tomatoUSB.

Issue two
It seems the ports are open but no outside computer can actually get on the server... I keep getting the "timed out" message.

What is/are the outside users entering?

Possible answers to this question is/are.

#1 The LAN/NAT/Internal/Bogan IP Address - If they are NOT behind the same router that you are behind should NOT enter in any IP Address that is any of these: 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255, 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 or 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255.

#2 Public / Route+able / True WAN IP Address - If they are NOT behind the same router that you are behind they could enter in this.

#3 The domain name that points to the Public / Route+able / True WAN IP Address - If they are NOT behind the same router that you are behind they could enter in this, provided that you keep the DDNS record pointing to the correct IP Address.

--

If you are behind this same NAT router, perhaps your NAT router has a loopback issue?

For example with my router..

#1 With loopback set to ALL, if I enter my IP Address or Domain name that points to the Public / Route+able / True WAN IP Address - when I am behind this router, it is as remote control of the router is turned on.

#2 With loopback set to OFF/Disabled, if I enter my IP Address or Domain name that points to the Public / Route+able / True WAN IP Address - when I am behind this router, I can not connect to anything.

#3 With loopback set to Forward Only, if I enter my IP Address or Domain name that points to the Public / Route+able / True WAN IP Address - when I am behind this router, and if I am running a web server - I can connect to my web server.

It has a UI that looks something like what you see at http://victek.is-a-geek.com/virtual/tomatok26/advanced-firewall.html

#4 I have to say that not all routers support:

a) loopback

b) loopbask the same way. There are others with it is only allowed (ALL) or Filtered (OFF).

For example of All of Off, the Linksys E4200 hardware version one with Linksys official firmware (that has a UI that looks like what you see at http://ui.linksys.com/E4200/2.0.25/firewall.html )PSST/Hint also could called Internet NAT Redirection instead of Loopback.

#5 Besides a client side port checker, there is a client side Loopback/Internet NAT Redirection/Reverse NAT tester.

It is addressed at http://www.pcwintech.com/test-for-reverse-nat

Keep in mind that you can not ever have two servers on the same port listening. That tool requires that you forward a port of your choice, it needs to listen on that port and requires connections from the outside get through the router.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
In the meantime while waiting your reply, I will give you more info. But not how to do it, without that requested info.

Here are some catches about ping:

a) If the server that you forwarded requires that you reply to ping, well then you must enable responding to ping in the router.

b) If the server that you forwarded does not require that you reply to ping, well that depends on another factor..

As to what that other factor is, I point to and quote the post by nwrickert (DSLR user #1070900) in DSLR (dslreports.com) Forums >Broadband Tech > Security > Security > DMZ and portforwarding are equally dangerous? on 2010-08-21 at 13:53:23.
While he tells people that responding to ping is dangerous, he replys to ping.

That's a pretty minor point. The reason some people prefer to not respond to ping, is to avoid demonstrating their presence on the net. Gibson has a public site whose presence on the net is well known, so that reason for not responding to ping simply does not apply.

While Steve Gibson does sometimes say some useful things, he mostly seems to be making mountains out of molehills

Note: Sorry for my misspelling, I meant replies.

c) There are certain troubleshooting tools that require that you reply to ping.

For example if you wanted to use the followings tool(s) at DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Tools: Smokeping, Line quality - Ping Test, and for 24x7 Line Monitoring...

d) If the ports are open (this means not just in the router) but the program/app does not work: I have an odd feeling that with this server, you must reply to ping.

Offline skyhouse71

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Sorry for the very late reply; dont know if anyone is watching this thread anymore but some background.

I have a switch that is wired into a linksis EA7500 wireless router that is connected to a centry link C100A gateway.  I changed the gateway a while back so that it doesnt do any IP assigning and just passes stuff to the linksys router.  That stuff all worked fine for getting on the internet and all that from our laptops (wireless) and desktops (wired to the switch).  4 or 5 months ago I decided to set up a minecraft server on my personal desktop that is wired to the switch.  I set up the server, changed the PC IP address to a static one, and did the port forwarding thing.  My kids could use the wireless laptop, open up minecraft, enter in the IP address that you get when I type "what is my IP" into google and get on no problem; Yay, everything worked.  After I got the server going I realized that I couldn't see our NAS nor could any of our other computers see my computer.  I assumed it was due to me changing the IP address to a static one and did some googling.  I ran across a forum that said that "Microsoft no longer supported some setting/software/app that game with Win10 and that all you need to do is re-activate it".... or some such thing.  I remember just going into the Network & Security settings and clicking some things and then presto change-o I could see the NAS again and everyone could see my computer.  I can't, for the life of me, remember if we connected to the server after I did that or not.  However, flash forward to the present and my kids tried to connect to the server again and all of a sudden they couldn't.  I didnt change anything (except for that Win10 setting and I can not remember what I changed or did there) and now it doesnt work.  I am assuming that the Win10 setting has something to do with it but I can't remember what I did.  I was hoping that it was just a port forwarding problem but it seems that those are open.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru

Centurylink C100A gateway
|
V
linksis EA7500
|
V
switch----------> kids' wifi
|
|---------------> NAS
|
|---------------> personal desktop / Win 10 / minecraft

That accurately describe things visually speaking?

If not, then what is it?

#2 Just to ask, instead of using the IP address found via "what is my IP" in google, what if they point to the static LAN IP address you assigned to your Win10 PC - when the server is in the listening state?

If that works but it does not work with the external / true WAN IP - the IP address found via "what is my IP" in google, then you got a hairpin NAT/loopback/Internet NAT Redirection//Reverse NAT issue.

If that does not work, then please post and we will go from there.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2018, 01:01:03 PM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums