Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Port still showing as closed after doing everything correctly.  (Read 424 times)

Offline As7iX

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Port still showing as closed after doing everything correctly.
« on: January 26, 2018, 04:17:44 AM »
I've looked through some similar questions on this forum, but still couldn't find a solution, so I apologize if this has been reposted 1000 times.

I have a Huawei HG8245H router. In its port mapping section I correctly set up the range of ports to be forwarded and entered my PC's IP address.

I correctly set up a static address for my PC beforehand.

I even manually assigned my static IP in the router's "DHCP Static IP Configuration" by entering the computer's MAC address.

Even after all this the ports still show as closed when using any port checker.

However, if I enable the router's DMZ mode the ports show as open. I've learned that DMZ is unsafe since it leaves all ports open so I don't consider this a solution.

Btw, I've also tried port-forwarding to a dynamic ip instead of a static one. No change. I tried turning off Windows firewall, no change.

My specs:
Router: Huawei HG8245H (V3R013C10S126)
Wireless adapter: Linksys RangePlus Wireless Network Adapter
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:00:06 AM by As7iX »

PcWinTech.com Forums

Port still showing as closed after doing everything correctly.
« on: January 26, 2018, 04:17:44 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Port still showing as closed after doing everything correctly.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 05:59:03 AM »
Since the DMZ works, I do not need to tell you do these prechecks.

a) The WAN IP in the router is the true WAN IP (that users from the net connect with to you). For example NATTED by the ISP if the WAN IP does not match the true WAN IP.

b) To check your LAN IP and send the traffic to the correct IP Address.

:)

----

Anyways moving along since you do not want to use the DMZ..

a) Please show the forwarding page from the NAT router. As perhaps you did something wrong there that prevents forwarding from working but allows DMZ to work?

info: See as need be https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/

b) Please show how these are setup:

#1 Security -> Firewall Level Configuration

#2 Security -> IP Filter

#3 Security -> DoS Configuration

#4 Security -> ONT Access Control Configuration

#5 Security -> WAN Access Control Configuration

c) In the NAT router go to Network -> Application

-> How is UPnP set (enabled/Disabled) ?

d) Finding out what, certain, extra equipment you have. For example why: Since the Huawei HG8245H NAT router has four LAN ports.

#1 Do you have a separate OR a spare RJ-45 WAN port router?

#2 If so, what is the brand and model of your separate or spare RJ-45 WAN port router?

For example:

a) The Motorola SB6141 is my cable modem (Non modem combo).

b) Note where modem combo = modem and router all-in-one.

c) My separate router is my Linksys E4200 hardware version one and it is behind my modem.

d) I also have a spare Linksys WRT54G hardware version 2, not in use.

#3 If not to question 1, do you have a spare computer that is not in use that works that either has:

a) Two NICs

b) OR you can add a second NIC into the computer?

For example by a second NIC into the computer I mean a PCI NIC like the TRENDnet - Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter (Model: TE100-PCIWN).

Note: at least one of those two NICs, must be a wired NIC.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 06:08:08 AM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline As7iX

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2018, 12:22:37 PM »
Thanks for your reply.

a) Attached a screenshot of the forwarding page (Screenshot_9.png)

b) Screenshots_1-4.png as requested. For some reason settings in Firewall and DoS configuration are greyed out and I can't change anything. Also, there is no "WAN Access Control Configuration" in the security tab, as seen in the screenshots.

c) The UPnP is enabled.

d) I'm not sure what you mean here. The Huawei is my only router. I do have a Linksys Wireless Range Extender Tenda Wireless N Access Point which is connected to one of the LAN ports of the Huawei and acts as a second access point since we live on two floors (in case you ask port forwarding doesn't work whether I connect through the Tenda's Wi-Fi or directly to the router's Wi-Fi).

Yes, I do have another computer. It's connected to the same network and port forwarding doesn't work there either. By NIC do you mean if the computer has a port where I can plug an Ethernet cable in? If so, then yes, both computers do. I don't have any spare NICs tho.

EDIT:
It's actually a Tenda access point. I forgot I recently replaced the Linksys.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 12:35:05 PM by As7iX »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2018, 12:10:42 PM »
Let us try something.

#1 Disable UPnP in the NAT router.

#2 Remove the source port from the forwarding rule.

#3 Then retry testing the port that you are trying to forward.

#4 Report the results. Success (solved) or failed.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2018, 12:13:44 PM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline As7iX

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2018, 07:13:05 PM »
Holy crap, it worked! I disabled UPnP and set both External Source Port values to "0". The port now shows as open. Thank you so much!

P.S. Later I activated UPnP and the port still shows as open which means the Source Port thingy was the real culprit, which I find weird because I followed a guide specifically for my router model and it instructed me to fill those fields as well. Oh well.

Actually, no. After leaving UPnP on for a while the port shows as closed again. I have to leave UPnP off for it to work. Can having UPnP off cause other problems?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 07:59:44 AM by As7iX »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 01:02:44 PM »
Can having UPnP off cause other problems?

I am glad that you asked. Pretty much everything has at least pro and a con to it.

Let me start with the pros of UPnP.

#1 Goal(s)

a) As noted at http://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-ps4/ and http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-ps3-playstation-3.htm

For Play Station it would be NAT Type 2.

b) As noted at http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm for the Xbox 360 it would be Xbox LIVE results should be "Connected."

c) As noted at http://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-xbox-one/ for the Xbox One it would be NAT Type Open.

#2 I have read/heard that if someone only has one Non Bogan IP Address the only way to get more than game console having NAT Type 2 / Xbox LIVE results Connected / Open is to use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

#3 I have no idea if what I read/heard is true or not about game consoles, getting NAT Type 2 / Xbox LIVE results Connected / Open, and only one non bogan IP Address.

Now on to the cons of UPnP.

#4 However, be advised:

a) If UPnP is enabled in the router

b) If an user has UPnP turned on, on their computer (Windows) / system (Xbox)

c) If an user has UPnP allowed by their software firewall on their computer.

d) and if an user has an UPnP aware app (for example uTorrent) on their computer.

Then the user could open port(s) in the router without knowing the router's control log-in!

#5 If you find a server that you want to forward for is not UPnP aware, then I point you to

http://www.howtogeek.com/122227/how-to-quickly-forward-ports-on-your-router-from-a-desktop-application/

With info about: UPnP Port Mapper.

#6 If you do not want to use UPnP and you wanted more than one game console having NAT Type 2 / Xbox LIVE results Connected / Open then part of the answer is to get more than one non bogan / Public IP Address.

Con #2/3

You call that bad (opening ports in the NAT router without being asked the router's control password!) from behind the NAT router, he he.

Sad but true that is the least of problems/cons: UPnP on WAN side.

https://www.grc.com/su/upnp-exposed.htm

Your check might mean for example with GRC's Instant UPnP Exposure Test.

-> Add insult to injury, keeping in mind that I am not saying your router has this problem. Just because UPnP is disabled on the LAN side does not mean that it is also disabled on the WAN side.

[LAST EDIT] If UPnP told the user what the brand, model and serial number of the NAT router is  (as to why the brand model and serial number for ID purposes - as some users might more than one NAT router because they have more than one non bogan IP Address - for example) and asked for the correct and current password of it- while a little creepy  sure ok / recommend using UPnP anyday/anytime, ETC...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 01:16:44 PM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 01:02:44 PM »