Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: why when i start a pc, my internet lights turn red and then become greeen ?  (Read 539 times)

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
Hi, I know ,that when i am using wifi thro modem, in my smartphone and other devices, it just works fine with the status of wifi as connected . I also know, that each device is being allotted internal ips by the dhcp server once it is getting access wifi or broadband.
I notice that the smartphone gets immediate access once the dsl line stays on start, and then internet light becomes red and then turning green, once it gets its internel ip like any device . I also know that dhcp server gives you , the device ip in ascending orders like x.x.x.2, 3 and so on.
Please expert, tell me, why wifi gets first access? before ethernet connection?
Why on log in first time, the dsl itself cuts and then re establishes the connection, if the other devices are already connected and then pc is turned on?
ONe more question:
When i tried to add manually, a ip , internal to my pc, in dhcp reserved ips tab, the behaviour of cutting of dsl for few seconds recur.
I do not find any way to delete the manually entered dhcp ip in my dlink 2730 u router?
Please would you give a detailed answer to my queries

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
#1 Info from http://www.dlink.ir/downloads/Products/ADSL/DSL-2730U%20HW%20U1/Manual&QIG/DSL-2730U_U1_User%20Manual_v1.00(DME).pdf on pages 2-4 (if printed). If not printed out, pages 5 to 7.

- on what the red light means.

#2 As why it is turning red and then back to green like that, we first need to find out what kind of connection it is handling.

There are different ways of doing that.

One:

a) Go to Setup -> Internet Setup.

b) Do not change a thing. Report back what the Protocol type is. PPPoA, PPPoE, MER, IPoA

c) If more than one, report them all.

OR Two:

a) Go to Status -> Device Info

b) Do not press any buttons (release, renew, disconnect). Report back what the Protocol type is. PPPoA, PPPoE, MER, IPoA

c) If more than one:

Use the drop down menu, to check all of them

and report them all.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
Hi , it is pppoe protocol . pls see the enclosure
I just removed the security details

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
#1 Please make sure that the only PPPoE client used is the one in the NAT router.

Since you appear to be on Windows 7, this is what I searched on Google for pppoe client windows 7

Be advised the PPPoE client built into the OS, is not the only PPPoE client that exist. For example of another one http://www.raspppoe.com/

It is ok to have PPPoE clients on your computers behind the NAT router, but I would not use them when your NAT router is acting as a NAT router. Only when it is in bridge mode (acting as if it was only a modem).

#2 For the Static - DHCP, that is at Setup -> Local Network

Should be able to add, edit and delete the Static DHCP.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 06:40:31 PM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
how did you say, that i am using two pppoe connections?
I have configured the router .
Just power on the router, open the router page.
Put some initial values , then select pppoe and given my credentials for broad band connection and then go to wireless to give ssid and pw.
How you are saying that i have two connections. My ISP would not permit.
I have a provision in upstairs, but, either i can use the pc here or should take all the things upstaris to get the connection.
Please tell me more about two pppoe connections. I have connected to ethernet with the pc only. The provision of a plug is only , if i move the pc and modem there
P.S: expecting clarifications
                  Do you mean to say that i should use windows wizard to connect to pppoe. If i do that, i will not be able to configure the wireless connection, as i do not have wireless dongle .
                       Why the ISP not configuring the bridge mode , when first configured. please educate me
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 03:07:11 AM by jraju »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
That is not what I am/was saying. Instead that is what I suspect the problem is/was.

#1 Was this modem provided by your ISP, OR for only your ISP, or was a DSL modem for *any* DSL ISP?

Examples while I was on DSL..

a) provided by my DSL ISP: I got a Westell 6100G from a Verizon tech

b) retail for *any* DSL ISP: I went to a local Staples and got my self the Zoom X5 ADSL Modem and 4-port Router.

c) for only my DSL ISP:  I went to a local Wal-mart and got my self the Actiontec GT784WNV (which is designed for Verizon DSL only).

#2 Do you have a separate OR a spare RJ-45 WAN port router?

#3 If so, what is the brand and model of your separate or spare RJ-45 WAN port router?

For example:

a) The Motorola SB6141 is my cable modem (Non modem combo).

b) Note where modem combo = modem and router all-in-one.

c) My separate router is my Linksys E4200 hardware version one and it is behind my modem.

d) I also have a spare Linksys WRT54G hardware version 2, not in use.

#4 If not to question 2, do you have a spare computer that is not in use that works that either has:

a) Two NICs

b) OR you can add a second NIC into the computer?

For example by a second NIC into the computer I mean a PCI NIC like the TRENDnet - Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter (Model: TE100-PCIWN).

Note: at least one of those two NICs, must be a wired NIC.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 06:11:39 AM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums