Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Is there any fix to stealth the closed ports  (Read 311 times)

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
Is there any fix to stealth the closed ports
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:11:45 AM »
Hi, Recent scan in crc.com shields up , all ports scan show port 513, and 514 or closed but not stealthy. Closed ports are ok, but stealthy ports are double ok. How to make those stealthy. Any idea

PcWinTech.com Forums

Is there any fix to stealth the closed ports
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:11:45 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Is there any fix to stealth the closed ports
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 01:04:31 PM »
#1 In the NAT router, not forwarding ports.

#2 If you need to forward ports, only:

a) Forward the ports that you need

AND

b) forward when you need them.

#3 No NAT router?

-> Get one.

-> Could turn a spare normal computer into acting as one.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2017, 05:07:02 PM »
Hi, I do not understand, what you are trying to say,
How to portforward if i am having a router. There is nothing that suggests a reply guru. Shane , would you say any solution to this.
To guru,
                 I am using dlink router 2730u new model indian make.
                 I saw some tools of forwarding.
                 How to forward those ports, so that those are all also stealth instead of closed.
                 Since the other forum deals with other computer solution, and since, it is this place that deals with router, i ask here
Guru, may i expect a solution

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2017, 12:51:35 PM »
#1 Log-in to the router.

#2 Go to the forwarding page in the router.

#3 Take, save and upload a picture showing how the router's forwarding page is setup.

See as need be, https://www.take-a-screenshot.org/
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 04:52:19 AM »
Hi, Please find enclosed the printscreen of portforwarding menu in my router.
There are some default por tforwarding of some ports in the normal course. But I am sure that those two ports in question are not found there.
Now say, how to stealth the ports

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 12:49:24 PM »
Ok, while I said

#1 In the NAT router, not forwarding ports.

#2 If you need to forward ports, only:

a) Forward the ports that you need

AND

b) forward when you need them.

you could also do this..

-> Select User-Defined Service and then...

#1 For the name, you may type anything you want to as long as:

a) It fits

b) and you know what it means,

#2 Select TCP for the protocol.

#3 I am not sure what you need for WAN Setting OR Interface at this time. :(

#4 For WAN and LAN port put in the port that you want to stealth.

Since there are two ports that you want to stealth, you will need another rule.

#5 For LAN IP Address, enter in a valid IP Address for your network but there is no computer there.

#6 Press Add

#7 Repeat steps 1 to 6 again as need be.

#8 Press Save/Apply.

#9 Feel better that the ports are stealth.

OR if you are not forwarding any ports in the NAT Router:

#1 In the router go to the DMZ screen.

#2 I believe select enable.

Note the screen may look something like you what you see at http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Dlink/DSL-2640B_SEA_1.00/DMZ.htm

#3 Again

For LAN IP Address, enter in a valid IP Address for your network but there is no computer there.

#4 Press Save/Apply.

#5 Feel better that all of the ports are stealth.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 01:03:17 PM by trpted »

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:46:01 PM »
#5 For LAN IP Address, enter in a valid IP Address for your network but there is no computer there.

Please explain this. How to enter? Do you mean the ip address of the devices that i am using other than the computer. Normally all the devices are allotted separate ips, when a device is connected. Please give me what should i write in ip address column.
Some say that it could be forwarded to not allotted ips.
           If suppose, you are having 192.168.x.1 for your pc, if another device is added you get 192.168.x.2 and so on , on the no of devices you connect.Is my presumption correct. I once tried to forward the same, as you say, to 192.168.x.250 (pool range 255) , but crc.com scan still shows as closed only.
Please explain this in detail.
                   Thanks. i was away so late reply. expecting reply from you

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 08:05:20 AM »
Part one:

#5 For LAN IP Address, enter in a valid IP Address for your network..

Since the LAN IP of your NAT router is 192.168.1.1, assuming that the subnet mask is 255.255.255.0 (in the NAT router this is at Setup -> Local Network), then valid IP Address(es) for other computers on your network are 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254

Part two:

..but there is no computer there.

I believe self explanatory.

If not to you, then this hint:

Points to

a) https://www.grc.com/faq-shieldsup.htm where it says    Why isn't my Port 113 Stealthed? I'm using a firewall to stealth my entire machine, but the ShieldsUP! port probe shows port 113 to only be closed instead of stealthed! What gives?

b) https://www.grc.com/port_113.htm

c) and as need be, then using Google (or another online search engine of your choice) and search for these keywords stealth forward port no computer there 113  - and you find out the answer (including why that works).

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 05:51:19 AM »
Hi, Sorry for late replying.
One query: Does that 4th octet, in ip, say 192.x.x.x denotes the number of device connected? I ask because, normally i am allotted the numbers , whenever i connect to a new device be it phone or laptop etc.. Should i pf to say, 11, as i will not more than 10 device connected at a time. I ask this query because, Will this fourth octet, if it is not for my device, will conflict with some others IP.
Thanks for caring answer. If you clarify this , i will be happy.
On the date of receipt  of your reply, i tried to send the reply thro smartphone, but typed matters suddenly closed and could not be retrieved. pl
I have read all the articles from crc.com. I even tried to raises those query in their forum. But , the access to the forum is slightly annoying and so i am raising questions here.
Test at their site, shows common port 113 as stealth. Detailed port scan always show 513 and 514 are closed. But the details are given for port no . 113, which you could have seen as the shown port in port forwarding in my diagram posted. Thanks for sharing

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 11:15:03 AM »
One query: Does that 4th octet, in ip, say 192.x.x.x denotes the number of device connected

Yes, assuming that the Subnet Mask is 255.255.255.0

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2017, 12:27:08 AM »
Hi, Sorry for belated reply. That was due to cable cut and loss of internet access for the past few 7days here. So, i will try your suggestion of forwarding and whether it shows as stealth in those two ports 513 and 514.Today only the internet access restored by repairing the cut cable

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2017, 10:57:42 PM »
Hi, I have made 2 new rules as per your instructions for port 513, and 514 and the latest shields up scan shows no change
More over, is it that these ports could have interlink with some other ports. Gibson tool onlyl scans the first 1056 ports,out of 60000 odd ports.
So, those ports above those, if it is having link with the 513 and 514 ports, if they are not stealthed, then this would cause these two ports as not stealthed. Please your views on that. How to fix

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2017, 06:05:47 AM »
Odd that should of worked.

For some reason http://screenshots.portforward.com/ is down, so I will use

http://setuprouter.com/ -> dlink -> dsl-2640b-sea-1.00-> Screen shots

instead.

#1 In the NAT router go to Advanced -> Network Tools -> UPnP

#2 That is disabled?

#3 In the NAT router go to Status -> Device Info

#4 In there, the WAN IP matches (is the same) as the true WAN IP at grc.com's shield's up?

#5 Note: Since there might be more than one WAN IP in the router at that screen, check all of them to be sure that one of them matches.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:43:03 PM »
HI, You mean match of external ip in both the router and grc.com site. Yes, they talled. There was a gateway for that external ip, which is not shown in grc.com. That is quite naturala
I also checked the upnp settings . It was enabled. I disabled. What should be the settings. disabled or enabled? please. I will reboot the router and check at crc.com and write to you. i checked the result is the same. There are two options in the wan tab in the settings. one is ppoae and another is ips, which should be selected?
Your lilnk also did not work for me also..
In the referred page, i did go to your dlink router settings and mine 2730u, but could not see the same settings. Mine is latest model of 2730u, which has different settings

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 12:48:22 PM »
Very odd.

#1 Was this modem provided by your ISP, OR for only your ISP, or was a DSL modem for *any* DSL ISP?

Examples while I was on DSL..

a) provided by my DSL ISP: I got a Westell 6100G from a Verizon tech

b) retail for *any* DSL ISP: I went to a local Staples and got my self the Zoom X5 ADSL Modem and 4-port Router.

c) for only my DSL ISP:  I went to a local Wal-mart and got my self the Actiontec GT784WNV (which is designed for Verizon DSL only).

#2 Do you have a separate OR a spare RJ-45 WAN port router?

#3 If so, what is the brand and model of your separate or spare RJ-45 WAN port router?

For example:

a) The Motorola SB6141 is my cable modem (Non modem combo).

b) Note where modem combo = modem and router all-in-one.

c) My separate router is my Linksys E4200 hardware version one and it is behind my modem.

d) I also have a spare Linksys WRT54G hardware version 2, not in use.

#4 If not to question 2, do you have a spare computer that is not in use that works that either has:

a) Two NICs

b) OR you can add a second NIC into the computer?

For example by a second NIC into the computer I mean a PCI NIC like the TRENDnet - Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter (Model: TE100-PCIWN).

Note: at least one of those two NICs, must be a wired NIC.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:58:26 PM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2017, 12:48:22 PM »