Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Is there any fix to stealth the closed ports  (Read 794 times)

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
Re: Is there any fix to stealth the closed ports
« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 04:30:37 AM »
HI, sorry for late reply as i was out of my home for some days.
The dlink router is bought by me from a retail store, and the configuration was done by the staff of my service provider Bsnl.
The it is a wifi modem. I think, that i am getting wifi to my laptop,and smart phones, if i have internet connection.
The modem is having channel config, thro , pppoe, thro telephone cable, which also provides the internet by Bsnl.
The connecion is as folllows:
The main cable to my house is passed thro, two way switch, one of which is going to telephone.
The other line is connected with a splitter at the end, having two to one switch.Now there are two lines , via two way switch , the line one and the other is telephone jack. There are three indicators, the line is passed thro, the LIne jack, the telephone via wire is connected to TEle jack. A separate jack is connected in Modem jack, the other end of which is connected with the ethernet port of the wifi modem.
Since the telephone is on the other room, this set up was arranged , and it is usual, way of splitting.
The dlink 2730u wifi modem works both as wifi and broadbond modem.
That is, when the internet access is
on, i get connected to my other devices as well thro wifi settings allowed by my service provider.
Now tell me , how to port forward
this is the exact router
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJOAhXaLpqE

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2017, 04:30:37 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 06:50:22 AM »
Rats, no separate OR spare RJ-45 WAN port router.

If you did, the fix would be to:

#1 The WAN port of the RJ-45 WAN port NAT router is to be connected to the modem.

#2 Make sure that the WAN port of the RJ-45 WAN port NAT router works.

#3 All of your computers are to be put behind the RJ-45 WAN port NAT router.

#4 and putting the modem into bridge mode (act as if it was only a modem).

Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 08:07:01 PM »
Hi, Thanks, I feel it too technical.
How to accomplish those three things you mentioned.
Is there any wrong connection?
YOu mean Rj 45 jack port position? please see the connection in my diagram

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 11:06:06 PM »
Please see the wan acl settings. i have disabled all the check box, defaultly present.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 04:34:52 AM »
hi, trypd..
                 can i expect your reply for my query

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #20 on: December 18, 2017, 05:43:57 AM »
By RJ-45 port, your NAT router has 4 RJ-45 LAN ports.

This is as noted at http://setuprouter.com/router/dlink/dsl-2640b-sea-1.00/screenshots.htm where it shows the back of the unit.

--

Let's try something.

#1 In the NAT router go to Maintenance -> System

#2 Click on Backup Settings

#3 Save the file to your HD (Hard Drive) somewhere.

#4 On your computer browse to the file that you saved.

#5 If you are right handed right click and select Open With / If you are left handed left click and select  Open With.

Like my screen shot shows. I am on Lubuntu 16.04.3 LTS, so yours might be slightly different.

#6 From the list, select a text editor (like Notepad - if on Windows, like Leafpad - if on Lubuntu)

#7 Is your Backup Config file, plain text or more gobbledeygook?

a) For example of plain text, this post at DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Software and Operating Systems -> Unix and Linux -> How to fix Unable to fetch some archives?

b) For example of gobbledeygook, the other screen shot in this post.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 05:57:26 AM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #21 on: December 18, 2017, 09:40:05 PM »
hi, trypd...
             I understand that i should download the cfg file. What to do with that file. please say,...it is ,if open with notepad, has machine language like exe file
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:48:47 PM by jraju »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 07:40:26 AM »
Yes, open it with Notepad.exe or another text editor of your choice - if you did not already.

If you opened it, which I suspect you did since you said "has machine language like exe file", go to http://www.shulerent.com/2009/08/21/cracking-the-d-link-settings-file/, get that tool to convert it to plain text, and convert that config file.

Once you get it to plain text (downloaded as is OR converted to plain text) -

#1 Remove all your private info ( put stars instead, like so: *** )

#2 If you do not want to remove that private data OR not sure if you missed any private data that should not be shown online, go to my profile, click on Send PM and send me a copy of the data and I will go through it.

However, there is certain info that should not be shown. Here is a list of everything safe or not safe to post.

#1 Host name: Able to change it on your computer/NAT router. Not needed expect for LAN/NAT/Bogan/Internal for computers behind NAT router and usually not need for NAT router.

If the ISP requires a certain Host name to get online, not a good idea to post it/them.

#2 Primary DNS Suffix, node type, ip routing enabled or not, WINS proxy enabled or not, DNS Suffix Search Order,  Connection DNS Suffix Search List - safe to post.

#3 Description = Name of NIC - safe to post.

#4 MAC/Physical/Hardware Address:

a) The first part ID's what the brand is and the second part acts a serial number.

Mine is 00:13:20:**:**:**

b) Seen on same network regardless of the type encryption used. Where encryption = SSL, most VPNs, and Wirelesss encryption like WEP/WPA/WPA2.

c) Possible to spoof/clone. As an example go look at http://ui.linksys.com/WRT54G/v8/8.00.0/WanMAC.htm

d) If the ISP requires a certain MAC/Physical/Host/Hardware Address to get online, not a good idea to post it/them.

e) Even modems use MAC/Physical/Host Address(es).

f) For the LAN/NAT/Bogan/Internal one, not typically able to spoof/clone - so not a good idea to post it/them.

#5 DHCP Enabled or not = safe to post.

#6 Autoconfig enabled or not, safe to post. All this means if the DHCP Server was disabled and your computer is not setup to use a static IP - your computer(s) will have a random IPv4 Address that starts with 169.254.x.x

#7 Non bogan/Public/Route-able/external IPv4:

a) normally that is how users from the net connect to you.

b) If not then when they lookup that domain they will find out what the IPv4 Address is. For example using http://network-tools.com/

#7 LAN/NAT/Bogan/Internal IPv4 Address safe to post too. As the only way anyone could connect you using that is with-in the same LAN or perhaps if you are using VPN.

LAN/NAT/Bogan/Internal IPv4 Address = RFC 1918 (Anything starting with 10, anything starting with 192.168, anything from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255), and anything starting with 169.254 (RFC 3927).

#8 IPv6 I do not fully understand what is safe and not, so don't - unless you are sure.

One of mine is fe80::**:**:**:**/64

#9 Subnet Mask - blah. On your computer needs to be same as the NAT routers' LAN/NAT/Bogan/Internal one. No comment at this time about the Non bogan/Public/Route-able/external one - Other than to access your modem while the modem is in bridge mode, for example...

a) LAN Settings of the modem =

IPv4 Address: 192.168.100.1
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

b) LAN Settings of your NAT router (not the modem) =

IPv4 Address: 192.168.1.1

c) WAN Settings of your NAT router (not the modem) =

IPv4 Address: 192.168.100.5
Default Gateway: 192.168.100.1
DNS Server: 192.168.100.1

#10 Moving along....

DNS Server(s): At least one required, but typically there is two. Other users on the same ISP most likely use the one(s) provided by the ISP. - safe to post

#11 WINS Server(s): Normally not used anymore, as DNS replaces it.

#12 Lease obtained and lease expire, safe to post

#13 DUID & DHCPv6: related to IPv6 - covered already.

#14 NetBIOS over TCPIP enabled or not, safe to post.

#15 SSID (name of network). Up to you. Note: Anyone in range could see this even if you try to hide your SSID. This is not talking about hiding it in a screen shot, instead what I mean I point to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28653/debunking-myths-is-hiding-your-wireless-ssid-really-more-secure/

#!6 WEP key, points to http://setuprouter.com/wep-vs-wpa/

#!7 WPA/WPA2 key, not a good idea to show it. Can still be hacked like WEP, but harder provided that you use a strong password.

#18 Serial number if that applies (as most NAT routers will not show you this), not a good idea to show that.

#19 WPS so badly broken. Points to http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&biw=&bih=&q=wps+flaw&btnG=Google+Search&gbv=1

In summary about WPS how it is broken, as far as I understand it anyways. There is always a pin even if you do not decide to use it. That pin is eight digits long which may seem secure, however WPS made a mistake that the attackers can guess the first four digits. And once they get the first digits then they can onto guessing the last four. Opps  :roll:

#20 Any kind of Certificate (for example SSL) / Authorized Keys (for example for SSH), not safe to post.

#21 Did I miss anything? If so, tell me what I missed and I will think about.

#3 I would suggest going to another forum where users can help you understand that config file and tell you if there is something in there that is causing this issue.

For example you could ask at DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband and Networking -> Networking

If you ask at DSLR while there are areas that one must be member to post threads, that general networking forum area as of last check (Today 12/19/17) is allowed.

If you register, you can register for a free account (No need to pay extra, for example to know that a person that PM/IM-ed read the message even if they do not reply to you - among other things).

Keep the same title of the thread, if desired.

Post a summary something like this..

Router ID = dlink router 2730u - retail for any DSL ISP.

ISP ID = Bsnl

All ports scan show port 513, and 514 or closed but not stealthy.

WAN IP in router is same the true WAN IP.

Tried forwarding those ports to valid IP Address for my network but there is no computer there, no dice.

UPnP Off in NAT router

No separate OR a spare RJ-45 WAN port router.

Since config file is gobbledeygook - I used the tool at http://www.shulerent.com/2009/08/21/cracking-the-d-link-settings-file/

From the config file I removed all private data, before posting it.

Closed ports are ok, but stealthy ports are double ok. How to make those stealthy - Any ideas?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 08:30:09 AM by trpted »

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2017, 09:56:35 PM »
Hi sorry for the late response. I went to the site and downloaded the gwsdecoder. But when i browse , there is no file shown, it only asks for gws extension. what to proceed further. my saved file is by default cfg extension file. But the link wants it to be gws format
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 03:29:13 AM by jraju »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2017, 01:14:45 PM »
If you tried to read it and it is not in plain text (even if you do not understand the terms),

#1 If you are right handed right click and select Rename / If you are left handed left click and select Rename

#2 Rename the file from for example, router.cfg to router.gws

#3 Now try again.

#4 If it does not work, we go from there to find out what can be done so that the file is plain text (so that it safe the post the file without the private info).

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2017, 09:49:08 PM »
Hi, renaming worked after rename to gws. But i tried all sorts of trick to open the xml file. The ie shows it as blank. The firefox, if selected shows parse error in the file with machine words withline 1. Is it because, we just renamed it to work thro that application? please

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2017, 09:56:25 PM »
Hi, please see the enclosed firefox opened xml error

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2018, 01:46:09 AM »
Hi, trypd.. Did you see my log . I just renamed cfg to gws. I think , eventhough, the application finished with all done message, i could not open in plain text

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 05:52:22 AM »
Sorry for the delay.

Let us try something.

#1 In the NAT router go to Advanced -> Filtering Options -> Inbound

#2 Besides Add, Apply and Cancel - what else is there right now?

At http://setuprouter.com/router/dlink/dsl-2640b-sea-1.00/screenshots.htm the screen shot Incoming IP Filtering

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 04:01:12 AM »
Hi, My router has this settings. Is this correct Pl see this link. This is my router manual
http://www.dlink.ir/downloads/Products/ADSL/DSL-2730U%20HW%20U1/Manual&QIG/DSL-2730U_U1_User%20Manual_v1.00(DME).pdf
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 04:44:35 AM by jraju »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2018, 04:01:12 AM »