Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Switch and 2nd router  (Read 452 times)

Offline oldsap

• PcWinTech Full Member
Switch and 2nd router
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »
i have a modem/router provided by my ISP.  i connected an 8 port 10/100 hub/switch to it.  then i connected a 2nd router, with NAS capability, to the switch. 
what is the best configuration and physical connection setup for me if my requirements are these:
- i have a cctv system which should be viewed locally and through the web
- i have a ubiquiti nanostation connecting my location to another remote location
- i use a PC and want to download things from the internet and save the file directly to my external drive on my NAS (2nd router)
- i want my devices to be able to communicate with each other locally (mostly using my devices to stream videos, get files from the NAS) and also browse the internet
currently, when my device is connected to my 2nd router, i can browse the internet, stream videos from the external drive, view my cctv cameras locally, but there's some lag.  also when using my PC which is connected to my switch, if i save my files directly to my external drive on my NAS (2nd router) which i've mapped as a network drive on my PC, the connection between PC and external mapped drive often gets cut off.

thank you for your time

PcWinTech.com Forums

Switch and 2nd router
« on: August 10, 2017, 07:56:44 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Switch and 2nd router
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:12:19 AM »
#1 What is the brand and model of your modem/router provided by your ISP?

#2 What is the brand and model of your 2nd router, with NAS capability?
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline oldsap

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 03:58:16 PM »
huawei model b315s-936 - modem/router provided by ISP

CDR King CW 5358U Dual Wan Router - router i use with NAS

i recently bought a Seagate Personal Cloud 4TB to use as my NAS but i'd still be using my old CDR King CW 5358U Dual Wan Router as a secondary router/AP/NAS.  also, i bought a gigabit switch to connect my LAN

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:00:28 PM »
#1 Let me guess for the huawei model b315s-936. the network mode indicator as addressed in http://setuprouter.com/router/huawei/b315s-936/manual-2162.pdf on page 3 of PDF (or page 1 if it was printed), is Steady cyan.

#2 How are these two NAT Routers connected to each other:

a) one of the WAN/Internet/To Modem/To ONT - ports of the CDR King CW 5358U Dual Wan Router is connected to one of the LAN ports of your huawei model b315s-936?

b) OR one of the LAN ports of the CDR King CW 5358U Dual Wan Router is connected to one of the LAN ports of your huawei model b315s-936?

#3 If one of the WAN/Internet/To Modem/To ONT - ports of the CDR King CW 5358U Dual Wan Router is connected to one of the LAN ports of your huawei model b315s-936, is there anything else connected to the the LAN ports OR connected by wireless to the huawei model b315s-936?
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2017, 01:00:28 PM »

email