Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Just uploaded screen captures from Asus RT AC3200 with Tomato  (Read 608 times)

Offline JonnyWozHere

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
As the title suggests I just uploaded the many screenshots that come from configuring Tomato.
The configuration is not completed yet, I still have some open questions amd am looking forward to any feedback from my upload, port forwarding and the like!

I did however have a few glitches with performing the screenshots. I couldn't capture any screens while openinging a detail box, for ex. adding a new LAN, VLAN etc. Just couldn't find how to do it.

Also there were problems with the green "DONE" (was that the name?) box top left, this kept ugging me and would hang, become unresponsive with a window behind that I could not switch to (I could see it via mouseover on the status bar). which was asking for credetials...

Apart from that, thanks for the effort you put in here, had a good read recently.
Cheers
Jon

PcWinTech.com Forums

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Just uploaded screen captures from Asus RT AC3200 with Tomato
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2017, 08:57:12 AM »
While waiting for your router to be added, try selecting:

(All Routers With Tomato v1 Firmware)
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline JonnyWozHere

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2017, 09:16:24 AM »
Thanks trpted
I've done many a search but have not really come up with what I was looking for.
I'll find time to describe my environment tomorrow....
Cheers

Offline JonnyWozHere

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2017, 02:55:52 AM »
Hello again
This is what I currently have: one router/modem (Fritzbox 7490) connected to my ISP.
This currently supplies DHCP and wireless to the house, using the IP 168.192.178.1 (default) and this feeds two TP-Link AP's via cat6 cables thru a switch for one SSID “Family”

I would like to insert my new Asus RT AC3200 running Tomato firmware after the current Fritzbox to look after all DHCP, Wifi etc. The Fritzbox would then just handle pass thru routing. No DHCP or WiFi

On the Asus I would like to run the main LAN on 192.168.30.1 with three VLANs as follows:
SSID “NetFamily” on 172.16.10.0
SSID “NetGuests” on 172.16.20.0
SSID “NetPrinters” on 172.16.30.0

Netfamily can browse the whole  network and use the printers, NetGuests can only see and use the printers on 172.16.30.0
Also the Fritzbox should be able to access the Printers network.

Does this look ok? Any modifications needed? How would I go about setting this up?

Are the AP’s capable of handling the 3 SSID’s for spreading them around the house?

Many thanks
Jon

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 07:25:29 AM »
I would like to insert my new Asus RT AC3200 running Tomato firmware after the current Fritzbox to look after all DHCP, Wifi etc. The Fritzbox would then just handle pass thru routing. No DHCP or WiFi

Based upon what you posted, you should put the Fritzbox into bridge mode.

As how to do that, you need to get help from your ISP.

Note for the request: Also the Fritzbox should be able to access the Printers network That will not be possible to do that with the Fritzbox in bridge mode.

For the Fritzbox to access the Printers network, as noted at DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Info -> Wireless Networking Forum FAQ -> Setup -> Using a Wireless Router as an Access Point.

#1 In the Fritzbox you must find the DHCP Range of the Fritzbox.

#2 You must make sure that Fritzbox's DHCP Range does not not occupy the whole subnet.

#3 If the DHCP Range occupies the whole subnet, then you need to make it smaller.

For example with Fritzbox at 192.168..1.1, the First IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.1.2 and the last IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.1.254 - then you could make the Starting IP Address 192.168.1.100

#4 In the Secondary NAT Router (Tomato firmware if your case):

a) Change it's LAN IP so that it is in the same subnet as the Fritzbox and outside of DHCP range of the Fritzbox.

For example with Fritzbox at 192.168..1.1, the First IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.1.100 and the last IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.1.254 - then you could make the LAN IP 192.168.1.2

-> Note to do this: You must have the secondary NAT router disconnected from the primary NAT router!

b) Disable it's DHCP Server.

c) Disable or turn RIP off.

d) Disable or turn off Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

#5 Connect one of the one LAN ports of the secondary NAT router to one of the LAN ports of the primary NAT router.

#6 No idea of how you would use the VLAN feature, with the network setup like this/that. For help with that, it would be better to ask on a website with a message board that talks about Networking with people who are better at networking than I am.

For example DSLR  (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband and Networking -> Networking

Note for this request Fritzbox would then just handle pass thru routing. No DHCP or WiFi, it is not possible with this/that layout.

Yes, you could disable WiFi in it. That would mean that they would have to use the WiFi of the other AP.

Yes, disable DHCP. However that would mean that all computers that are setup to use DHCP will use 169.254..x.x IP Address and can not easy+ly access the net. To do so, one of the computers must have IP Addresses (169.254..*.* and a Static LAN IP with the same subnet as the Fritzbox). That computer would have a proxy server on it. On all of the other computers, the web browsers must be configured to use the proxy server. And yes the proxy must be on for the other computers to access the net.

Most likely not possible to disable routing.

As routing means that one computer (even a NAT router is a type of a computer) handles the WAN IPv4. Without routing enabled in this/that layout (LAN to LAN) with DHCP disabled in the Fritzbox, all of your computers would try to get a public IPv4 Address from your ISP. Most likely like this, your ISP will require an upgrade to your account to business account (or some other account type that allows you to have more than one public IPv4)
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 07:31:19 AM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2017, 07:25:29 AM »

email