Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Trying to Port Forward Linksys EA3500 for Minecraft Server  (Read 19595 times)

Offline jnicoara11

• PcWinTech Member
Trying to Port Forward Linksys EA3500 for Minecraft Server
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
Hello,

I have been trying to port forward my router to host a minecraft server for days, but I simply cannot get it to work.

Here is some background on my setting. I live in an apartment and they don't block any ports. So if I plug in my desktop via ethernet to the wall and don't have any firewalls on, the port is open just fine. When I plug in my desktop to my router and try to port forward through there is when I get issues. I have bitdefender anti-virus.

So, my current status is this. I have enabled port forwarding on my router and Simple Port Tester confirms that. I have checked to make sure my external IP matches. I have tried connecting to the microsoft server with bitdefender and windows firewall both ON and both OFF, and neither works.

Any ideas what I can do to get this to work?

I have attached some of the info.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 02:16:20 PM by jnicoara11 »

PcWinTech.com Forums

Trying to Port Forward Linksys EA3500 for Minecraft Server
« on: February 05, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Trying to Port Forward Linksys EA3500 for Minecraft Server
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 05:40:19 PM »
You are so close to allowing users to connect to that server of yours. :)

#1 Here are some notes about listening:

a) If you are on Windows I point you to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28609/how-can-i-tell-what-is-listening-on-a-tcpip-port-in-windows/

b) If you are not on Windows (Mac, Unix/Linux), go look lookup listen on port and then your OS name using Google (or your other favorite search engine).

c) If nothing is listening any TCP ports that you check with a web based port checker, then TCP ports does not show up as open.

d) Be advised that you can not have two servers listening on the same the port on the same computer. So for example before you use an inbond-client side port checker you must make sure that uTorrent is not running - which explains on http://portforward.com/softwareguides/utorrent/utorrent.htm that they say

If uTorrent is currently open, you will need to completely close it at this time. Make sure that the green uTorrent icon is not still hiding in your notification area (next to your clock). If it is, right click on it and choose "Exit". Before moving forward to things like selecting torrents, seeders, and leachers, we need to verify that your port is open. We recommend downloading our free Open Port Check Tool to test if incoming connections are being allowed through your router on your uTorrent Listening Port

e) And generally if the program/app is running that you are trying to forward for, then the server is listening.

#2 Since you said you using Minecraft as your server, I point you to portforward.com -> Port Forward Minecraft (under Guides) to the following things:

a) Installing Minecraft's Beta Server

b) Starting the Minecraft Game Server

c) Customizing Your Minecraft Server

#3 For Customizing Your Minecraft Server:

a) do not change the server-ip field as they recommend that you do not.

b) For server-port, make sure that is port that you forwarded and tested.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jnicoara11

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 08:30:15 PM »
I tried to look at the links you sent but neither of which helped me or addressed my problem :/

Offline jnicoara11

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2017, 11:55:53 AM »
Can Shane please take a look at this?

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 12:52:29 PM »
Ok.

I think I know what is wrong.

#1 Let me give to you an example what happens with my router running tomato firmware.

With loop back in my router set to Off, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP: I can't connect to anything. :(

With loop back in my router set to All, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP I can connect to the router's UI as if remote control of the router is turned on.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I have a web server running on TCP port 80: I am able to connect to my web server on port 80.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I do not have a web server running on TCP port 80: I can't connect to anything.

--

#2 Based upon the above info, in your router has loopback support it is set to Off.

#3 I also have to say that:

a) Not all routers will allow users to adjust the loop back feature.

b) OR if they let the user adjust the loop back feature, they can only turn it off and on.

#4 One of the way to confirm it is a loopback issue is, I point you to pcwintech.com -> How to test if your router supports Reverse NAT

While it is different wording, it has the same meaning.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jnicoara11

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2017, 01:09:11 PM »
I saw you post that exact solution in a different post and I tried doing that, but it didn't fix it. I am trying to connect to the server from a totally different network and it still won't connect.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 06:06:33 AM »
Here are some catches about ping:

a) If the server that you forwarded requires that you reply to ping, well then you must enable responding to ping in the router.

b) If the server that you forwarded does not require that you reply to ping, well that depends on another factor..

As to what that other factor is, I point to and quote the post by nwrickert (DSLR user #1070900) in DSLR (dslreports.com) Forums >Broadband Tech > Security > Security > DMZ and portforwarding are equally dangerous? on 2010-08-21 at 13:53:23.

While he tells people that responding to ping is dangerous, he replys to ping.

That's a pretty minor point. The reason some people prefer to not respond to ping, is to avoid demonstrating their presence on the net. Gibson has a public site whose presence on the net is well known, so that reason for not responding to ping simply does not apply.

While Steve Gibson does sometimes say some useful things, he mostly seems to be making mountains out of molehills

Note: Sorry for my misspelling, I meant replies.

c) There are certain troubleshooting tools that require that you reply to ping.

For example if you wanted to use the followings tool(s) at DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Tools: Smokeping, Line quality - Ping Test, and for 24x7 Line Monitoring...

#4 If the ports are open (this means not just in the router) but the program/app does not work: I have an odd feeling that with this server, you must reply to ping.

For your NAT router the reply to ping is at Security -> Firewall. Make sure that Filter anonymous Internet Request is not checked. Save/Apply

Offline jnicoara11

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 08:45:19 AM »
I tried disabling "Filter anonymous internet request" and that did not fix the problem.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 11:27:45 AM »
Ok.

#1 When you are behind your NAT router that you are forwarding with, you need to enter:

a) The Internal IP Address

b) OR the external IP Address. Note this assumes that your NAT router support loopback /Reverse NAT.

c) OR the public domain name. Again this assumes that your NAT router support loopback /Reverse NAT. This also assumes that you have your own domain name, even if it provided by DDNS.

#2 When you are not behind your NAT router, you need to enter:

a) the external IP Address.

b) OR the public domain name. This assumes that you have your own domain name, even if it provided by DDNS.

#3 That above info about above you are aware about?

#4 If so ( if you are using DDNS, the DDNS service has the correct non bogan IP Address ) - perhaps the external ISP is blocking that port?

ex:

Your computer that you are forwarding to <-> Your NAT router at home <- -> Your local ISP (that one that is not blocking the port ) <- -> "Cloud of the Internet"  <- -> The external ISP (the one that is blocking the port) <- ->  A NAT router at another location (for example at workplace or at your other home <- -> Your remote/external computer.

Offline jnicoara11

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 11:45:53 AM »
I have ddns, but I tried connecting to the server with all, internal ip, external ip, and ddns website. None worked.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 06:18:11 PM »
I am not much of an expert on this.

#1 Perhaps asking other users, that also use this type of:

a) Server?

b) NAT router?

#2 For the server, for example ask at http://www.minecraftforum.net/

#3 For the NAT router, for example ask at

DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Equipment Support -> Hardware By Brand -> Linksys

#4 Notes if you use DSLR to post it and get help:

a) While there are member restricted areas (you must be a member to post there), that area is not one of them as well as general security (that area that I pointed to you earlier) forum.

b) If you post in the wrong area, members like myself - can and will hey mod you and the admins/mods will do their work.

c) There might be a delay after you post it if not logged in, before other users (not including admins/mods) can view it.

#5 Regardless of what other site you decide to use:

a) you may also point them to this thread (thread ID = http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,6019.0.html )

b) As well as, to help other users with this same issue - pointing from this thread at forums.pcwintech.com to the other thread at the other site.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 08:15:55 AM by trpted »

Offline jnicoara11

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 05:00:35 PM »
Can Shane please help?

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 06:27:49 AM »
Unknown if and when he will help. This is my last educated guess(es) as to what is going on.

#1 Go to Start -> Control Panel -> Then either:

a) Go to Windows Firewall

OR

b) Go to System and Security ->  Windows Firewall.

#3 Once at Windows Firewall, go to Allow a program or feature through Windows Firewall.

#4 Check what the Home/Work and Public is checked or not checked for the program/app that you are trying to forward for.

#5 Back at Windows Firewall, also go to Advanced Settings.

#6 Go to Inbound Rules and select the program/app that you are forwarding for.

#7 For Local IP Address, make sure that is set to Any

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2017, 06:27:49 AM »