Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Port is open and can be reached, but still can't connect to it  (Read 38336 times)

Offline Flame48

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Port is open and can be reached, but still can't connect to it
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »
Hello,

I'm trying to port forward my router so that I can host a Minecraft server for my sister.
I am connected through 2 routers right now, a Linksys EA3500 and a verizon fios router (I believe it's the actiontec MI424WR). I have it set up so that my linksys router ip is the DMZ of the fios router, and I am setting up all of the port forwarding settings through the linksys router.

I have port 25565 forwarded for my ip on my computer, and while I host the minecraft server I can see that the port is open using sites like http://www.canyouseeme.org/ and http://portchecker.co/ (and is closed when it is not being hosted), but when I try to connect in minecraft, it doesn't let me. The only way that the server lets me connect is when I connect using a local IP, which is not what I want to do. Any time I use my external IP it just fails to connect, and doesn't even show up in the minecraft command prompt as an attempt being made to connect.

Any ideas about what the problem could be and how to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Port is open and can be reached, but still can't connect to it
« on: December 29, 2016, 10:25:55 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Port is open and can be reached, but still can't connect to it
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »
#1 Let me give to you an example what happens with my router running tomato firmware.

With loop back in my router set to Off, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP: I can't connect to anything. :(

With loop back in my router set to All, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP I can connect to the router's UI as if remote control of the router is turned on.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I have a web server running on TCP port 80: I am able to connect to my web server on port 80.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I do not have a web server running on TCP port 80: I can't connect to anything.

--

#2 Based upon the above info, in your router has loopback support it is set to Off.

#3 I also have to say that:

a) Not all routers will allow users to adjust the loop back feature.

b) OR if they let the user adjust the loop back feature, they can only turn it off and on.

Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: Port is open and can be reached, but still can't connect to it
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 11:23:14 AM »

email