Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: having a problem with my ip address and port forwarding  (Read 44395 times)

Offline adam callender

• PcWinTech Member
having a problem with my ip address and port forwarding
« on: November 20, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »
I am having difficulty with my ip, i am a fifa player and i am having connection issues with a certain gamemode. i was told to port forward some unique ports on fifa (the ports can be found on this web page https://help.ea.com/en-gb/help/fifa/fifa-2016/online-ports-for-fifa-16/). i logged into my routers access page and added some rules for the router. however, i can only change the last digit for the ip address. i have entered the ip address of my computer into the rules but the ports still havent opened. i noticed that my ip4 address on my cmd is different to the ip4 address on my logmein hamachi and different to the ip address on the routers access page. i assume that my computer is using the ip address from my logmein hamachi since it is the ip i use to log into other games such as Kanes wrath. but the problem is i cannot add rules to the ip shown by logmein hamachi because i am being limited to only changing the last digit on my ip address. could anybody help me please?

PcWinTech.com Forums

having a problem with my ip address and port forwarding
« on: November 20, 2016, 09:12:38 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: having a problem with my ip address and port forwarding
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 12:40:34 PM »
As how to forward manually, it goes like this...
---

#1 Info part one

a) Go to http://ipv4.whatismyv6.com/

b) On that web page is the non bogan IP (Public) Address that users from Internet use to connect to you.

c) In your router, somewhere in there you must have the same non bogan IP Address.

Example non bogan IP Address is 999.888.777.666, but in the router the WAN IP is 10.0.0.100 - this is not ok.

d) Important note: This is not to say that the non bogan IP Address has to be Static.

Example yesterday's IP Address was 999.888.777.666 and today's IP Address is 999.888.777.555 - this is ok.

#2 Info part two

As how to check what the IP Address is/are, Subnet Mask is/are, Default Gateway is, MAC Address(es) is/are, DNS Server(s) are of your computer, it depends on the OS and Version.

Note: This example assumes that you are on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10

a) Press the Windows Start key to open the Start screen.

b) Type cmd and press Enter to launch the command prompt.

Note: You do not need to click on anything on the Start screen—typing will automatically initiate a program search.

c) Type ipconfig /all at the command prompt to check the network card settings.

d) If not on Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8 or Windows 10 - and you do not know how to check that network info - then post what is your OS and Version is.

e) You need to make sure that the Default Gateway on your computer is the same LAN IP as your NAT router.

f) If the Default Gateway on your computer is not the same LAN IP as your NAT router, please post an you will told what to do next.

#3 Info part three:

If the non bogan IP Address is not the same IP Address (keep in mind it does not have the Static), one of the reasons why that could happen is CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present.

If you want more details about CGNAT/NAT444/LSN, you can look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

c) The possible fixes to fix your issue if CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present.

#1 Have them in their NAT router forward the ports to the IP of your router..

#2 Upgrading the type of plan that you are on with your ISP so that you get a non bogan IP Address.

For example if you are a Residential Service Plan, consider going to a Business Service Plan.

#3 Consider switching to another ISP that can give you you a non bogan IP Address.

#4 For the long term future, get IPv6 working.
----

#4 Info part four, if manually forwarding (or wish to adjust the settings) and if asked for a remote/source IP Address it goes like this.

a) Let us say that the fictional IP Address of 999.888.777.666 existed ( I can assure it does not as IPv4 is only 0.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.255 and IPv6 is all hex with colons between ), it was mine, I did not share my connection with others (parents/son/daughter), and you wanted to only allow me to connect through your router to your computer - then it case you would type in 999.888.777.666

b) If you do not want to only allow only a certain IP Address (OR IP Address Range) to connect to you, it has to be either blank (not filled in) OR if you can not leave it blank then it has to be 0.0.0.0.

#5 Info part five:

When forwarding manually remember to forward to your local IP Address, that is unless you are trying to forward some other computer (example to Xbox)

So if you get output...

IP Address 192.168.1.6
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
At least one DNS 192.168.1.1

-> you would forward to 192.168.1.6

#4 To better assist you in finding the WAN IP in the NAT router as well what to do next ( CGNAT/NAT444/LSN or something else is causing the IP Address to be not the same), it would help to know the brand and model of your NAT router is.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline adam callender

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 09:28:36 AM »
My apologies, i should of added more detail to my post. My ISP is virgin media, i use a wireless connection, my router model is a super hub 2ac (VMDG490) that was the information written on the router. i am also using a windows 10 OS.

the ip address shown by the routers access page is the same as the ip shown on the link that you provided. this is why i dont believe i have a problem regarding CGNAT/NAT444/LSN.

i used network and sharing details to check that the default gateway on my pc is the same as the gateway on my router.

when i port forwarded the fifa ports, i used the same ip (my equivalent) as the ip on the template that you had written but the ports are not open ( i am unsure about what predefined rule to use when adding the ports so i left it blank as suggested)

IP Address 192.168.1.6 <--------
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
At least one DNS 192.168.1.1

what caught my attention is that the ip4 address on my logmehamachi is different to that on my router and ip address that i used to port forward (192.168.0.5). i have also noticed that both ips are present in the game that i play (192.168.0.5) and (25.118.253.243). i use the second ip to connect to friends when they host severs on their computers (or so i think) but the first when i am connecting to the servers of kanes wrath (the game i got the ips from).

cmd also displayed where the ips had come from : Ethernet adapter Ethernet (25.118.253.243).
                                                                               Wireless LAN adapter wi-fi 2 ((192.168.0.5)
you can probably make much more sense of this then me  :cheesy:

thank you for reviewing my case and taking the time to help me out, it is appreciated.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2016, 05:56:35 AM »
You mean the UI for your NAT router looks like this

https://portforward.com/virgin-media/super-hub-2/

??

If so, create a new rule as shown in the guide (I do not suggesting using their or simple forwarding.com's software). For the name, you may type in anything you want to as long as:

a) It fits

b) and you know what it means.

If the UI for your NAT router forwarding page does not like that guide, then show a screen shot from the forwarding page.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline adam callender

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 09:28:54 AM »
I had a look at the link that you provided and i will complete the steps ASAP. but i now have another problem  :cry: , my DNS ip is the same as my default gateway on my cmd. i am also struggling to find the ip on the routers access page and i cannot phone my internet provider. otherwise, everything seems to be going fine, i just need to set up a static ip before i can do anything else.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 11:06:17 AM »
#1 More than likely the Default Gateway is not the same instead it is similar. For example if the IP Address is 192.168.1.100, the Default Gateway could be 192.168.1.1

#2 When you try to go the Default Gateway that is listed on your computer, does it take you the NAT router's UI?

#3 Do you have more than computer? Even if not all of them are yours, you must say at least yes.

Example: yes, but all of them are mine.

#4 Could you get your computer on the network by wire?

Offline adam callender

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 08:18:06 AM »
yes i do have multiple pcs connected to the router, mine is wireless and unfortunately i wont be able to change that. and for the second line of text that you had written, im not sure what you mean, i use cmd to find out what the DNS servers are (which are shown as the default gateway).

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2016, 12:43:40 PM »
#1 Sorry about

More than likely the Default Gateway is not the same instead it is similar. For example if the IP Address is 192.168.1.100, the Default Gateway could be 192.168.1.1

got a little bit confused.

#2 All of the computers are coming from the same non bogan IP Address?

#3 While I know you are not using a wired connection and say that you can't: Do you have any computers that are connected to the NAT router by wire?

Offline adam callender

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:51:36 AM »
I am sorry for not replying i wasnt notified. I believe i have found the problem, i need to phone up my ISP and get them to open the specific ports (since they are blocked). it may be some time before i can do that, but i greatly appreciate all the time you invested in me  :cheesy: . thanks for all the help and if i need any further help i will continue this thread hopefully.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 08:51:36 AM »

email