Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Port forwarding Not working  (Read 45196 times)

Offline sunvirdi

• PcWinTech Member
Port forwarding Not working
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »
Hello,
I just got a new Internet connection and it has Arris Surfboard 6183 Modem on Comcast Business Internet. The modem on Comcast connection is connected to Asus RT-AC1200 Router. I have a DVR system whose settings are attached in DVR.jpg. The DVR does not show up in the connected devices of ASUS Router, however it gets connected to the att router (Modem Model # NVG510) and I am able to view the cameras remotely through ATT but not through comcast internet.

I have read the forum (below) and also the read first section on the website but port forwarding and connecting the device is not working. I have disabled the firewall on the router and opened ports 80 and 6086 but to no avail. Please guide.
http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php?topic=3506.0

PcWinTech.com Forums

Port forwarding Not working
« on: November 03, 2016, 11:12:55 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Port forwarding Not working
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2016, 12:04:20 PM »
I know what is going on.

Reverse NAT / Loopback issue.

#1 Let me give to you an example what happens with my router running tomato firmware.

With loop back in my router set to Off, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP: I can't connect to anything. :(

With loop back in my router set to All, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP I can connect to the router's UI as if remote control of the router is turned on.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I have a web server running on TCP port 80: I am able to connect to my web server on port 80.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I do not have a web server running on TCP port 80: I can't connect to anything.

--

#2 Based upon the above info, in your router has loopback support it is set to Off.

#3 I also have to say that:

a) Not all routers will allow users to adjust the loop back feature.

b) OR if they let the user adjust the loop back feature, they can only turn it off and on.

At http://www.pcwintech.com/test-for-reverse-nat it has direction if you want to test for that.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline sunvirdi

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 02:28:23 PM »
I am able to connect my laptop or my phone but the DVR does not connect. I changed my router to Netgear N300 and now I am able to connect the DVR and have assigned it a Static IP from the router and have created Port forwarding rules but the Port is not open when I try to check the port.

Any help is appreciated.

Offline sunvirdi

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2016, 10:38:48 AM »
Please let me know how I can fix this issue.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2016, 12:05:05 PM »
#1 What is the exact model of it?

For example Netgear WNR1000

#2 A screen shot from the router would help.

Please leave all menus in tact. For example if you show the forwarding page and got to the forwarding page by going to Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Port Forwarding / Port Triggering please leave that info in there.

For example by going to Advanced -> Advanced Setup -> Port Forwarding / Port Triggering, I mean you followed this guide http://www.pcwintech.com/netgear-generic-guide-3-netgear-genie-firmware-all-models
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline sunvirdi

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2016, 11:36:55 PM »
Hello,
The Model # is WNR2000V5. I have attached the screenshots, I must be doing something wrong, please guide.

Thanks,

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 12:32:25 PM »
When you checked if the port is open, how did you do that?

Offline sunvirdi

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 12:58:06 PM »
Hello,
I used http://www.canyouseeme.org/

Thanks,

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 06:04:02 PM »
Ok.

#1 Did you set the DVR to use DHCP or did you leave the manual static IP Setup?

#2 If you did not setup the DVR to use DHCP, you did change the Default Gateway IP Address and what DNS Server(s) to use?

#3 When you did that port test, did you try both ports?

For example port 80 - not open but port 6036 open

#4 You only changed what NAT router - did not also change what modem or ISP is used

??

Offline sunvirdi

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 07:46:26 PM »
Thanks for your prompt response. here are my answers.

#1)  Please see attached Screenshot(DVR_network.jpg), it is setup for to use Static IP.

#2)  I updated Default Gateway IP of the router, not sure about DNS server to use or update them. Please guide.

#3)  Once I updated the Default Gateway to the router, both the ports are open now.

# 4) Not sure how to do this, Modem or ISP.

Thanks,

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 12:52:35 PM »
For manual static IP Setup - For the DNS Server(s), for example you can use the info that you saw at Advanced -> Setup -> Internet

It is recommended to use grc.com -> Freeware -> Utilities -> DNS Benchmark as well as grc.com -> Services ->DNS Spoofability Test. You can also get to that same page by grc.com -> Freeware -> Utilities -> DNS Benchmark -> DNS Spoofability Test Introduction

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2016, 12:52:35 PM »

email