Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Two routers: UPNP  (Read 45353 times)

Offline yppaa

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Two routers: UPNP
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:13:30 AM »
Hi,

I just read one of the articles on the website (see bottom of the email) about setting up two or more routers. I play Fifa on my ps4 and read on the internet that UPNP should be disabled to improve online gameplay (otherwise you experience button delay, very annoying). I followed the steps in the article and set my second router in the modem's DMZ. Do i still need to disable UPNP on the modem? Or does the DMZ function takes completely care of all of the first modems functions?

(http://www.pcwintech.com/how-setup-two-or-more-routers-together-port-forwarding-port-triggering)

PcWinTech.com Forums

Two routers: UPNP
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:13:30 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Two routers: UPNP
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 08:01:34 AM »
#1 What is the brand and model of your two NAT routers?

#2 You have UI access to both?

#3 One of them is connected with it's WAN/Internet/To Modem/To ONT - port to one of the LAN ports of the other NAT router?
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline yppaa

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 09:15:09 AM »
#1 the modem is a hitron cgnv5-eu and the second router is a d-link dir-655.

#2 yes i have acces to both

#3 i dont completely understand all terminology. I live in a studio and i share one modem with six others. Most of us use a second router for our own network. The modem is wired to our router and my playstation is wired to our second router. I accessed  the modem to put our router into the dmz. I forwarded the ports only in our router. Hope this provides some answer to your question.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2016, 05:12:27 AM »
#1 While you said you live in a studio, is this an apartment building?

#2 Is/Are both of those NAT routers yours?

#3 While you said Most of us use a second router for our own network, how are these other NAT routers connected / layout?

a) All of them are connected to the modem combo?

b) All of them are connected to your NAT router?
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline yppaa

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2016, 05:59:03 AM »
#1 Yes it is a small apartment building.

#2 The second router is ours. The combo is of our landlord.

#3 The other routers are all connected to the combo as well but not to our router.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 07:16:28 AM »
#! I point to (third party site) and quote part of portforward.com -> Forum -> Knowledge Base -> How can I tell what kind of Router I have..? to/at where it says INTERNET SERVICE IN AN APARTMENT BUILDING, COLLEGE DORMITORY, or A COMPUTER AT WORK

If you are located in an Apartment Building, a College Dormitory, or are using your computer at work, where the computer has a cable from the back that plugs directly into a socket on the wall, you will most likely NOT be able to do any configuration of the system to allow servers or P2P programs to work, very much like the previous Wireless service problems.

Most setups like this have a "central" NAT router located somewhere else in the building to allow everyone to share the Internet, and the individual user will NOT be able to access it to make any changes.

Once again, if this is your situation, you'll need to contact whoever it is who administrates your building's network and ask them for help.

-> Had it been 100 % your network(s), I would help you better - such as..

-- Option one if those two networks were both were yours ---

#1 Put the broadband modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them...

#2 Have the other NAT routers connected to your NAT router.

#3 In your own NAT router, forward the ports.

-- Option two if those two networks were both were yours ---

#1 Get your own modem that is not a modem combo and replace your current modem.

#2 Have the other NAT routers connected to your NAT router.

#3 In your own NAT router, forward the ports.

-- Option three if these two networks were both were yours ---

#1 Get your own modem that is not a modem combo, have your own RJ-45 WAN NAT router connected to the modem that is not a modem combo and use both modems.

#2 Note - For this fix I mean this:

a) If possible get and use two modems, like what I have.

b) One just for telephony (in my case Arris TM602G/115) and the other just for Internet (in my case the Motorola SB6141 with my own RJ-45 WAN port router behind it).

c) Since I do not use the same ISP (Service Electric/PTD) that you do, make sure that your ISP allows this.

d) The one just for telephony should have only the following electrical things connected to it: power supply, phone line, and cable line. Mounted on a wall is ok if need be.

e) Because the one just for telephony is used just for telephony it does not matter if it is router mode or not...

#3 Have the other NAT routers connected to your NAT router.

#4 In your own NAT router, forward the ports.

-- Option four/five/six if those two networks were both were yours ---

Sort of like the options above but little bit different, every thing else is the same.

Instead of Have the other NAT routers connected to your NAT router, they have their own cable modem and their own RJ-45 WAN port NAT router is connected to their own cable modem.

-- Some extra notes if those two NAT routers were yours -----

#1 Goal(s)

a) As noted at http://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-ps4/ and http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-ps3-playstation-3.htm

For Play Station it would be NAT Type 2.

b) As noted at http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm for the Xbox 360 it would be Xbox LIVE results should be "Connected."

c) As noted at http://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-xbox-one/ for the Xbox One it would be NAT Type Open.

#2 I have read/heard that if someone only has one Non Bogan IP Address the only way to get more than game console having NAT Type 2 / Xbox LIVE results Connected / Open is to use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

#3 I have no idea if what I read/heard is true or not about game consoles, getting NAT Type 2 / Xbox LIVE results Connected / Open, and only one non bogan IP Address.

#4 However, be advised:

a) If UPnP is enabled in the router

b) If an user has UPnP turned on, on their computer (Windows) / system (Xbox)

c) If an user has UPnP allowed by their software firewall on their computer.

d) and if an user has an UPnP aware app (for example uTorrent) on their computer.

Then the user could open port(s) in the router without knowing the router's control log-in!

#5 If you find a server that you want to forward for is not UPnP aware, then I point you to

http://www.howtogeek.com/122227/how-to-quickly-forward-ports-on-your-router-from-a-desktop-application/

With info about: UPnP Port Mapper.

#6 If you do not want to use UPnP and you wanted more than one game console having NAT Type 2 / Xbox LIVE results Connected / Open then part of the answer is to get more than one non bogan / Public IP Address.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 07:22:38 AM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2016, 07:16:28 AM »