Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: N00b here : issue with port forwarding  (Read 47604 times)

Offline Napalm Death

• PcWinTech Member
N00b here : issue with port forwarding
« on: September 17, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »
Hi everyone

I have an issue here. I can't connect via the port 52000 with azureus. It used to work like a charm for months and months...

I use a modem CBN CH7465LG-TN. The cable goes straight to a switch/router from TP-LinkTL-SG1005D that redirects the connection towards my laptop and a cloud.
In the web interface in which I set up the port forwarding I indicated my laptop IP-adresses (the one when using cable and one when using wifi), then set up "start port" to 52000 and the end port to 5200 also because it's the one I'm using for azureus. I then chose TCP & UDP as protocol and allow connections to this port. I don't use the windows firewall and also no other extra firewall, only the one given by my internet provider who's configured in the modem web interface.

I can't make a connection via the 52000 port. I really tried everything I know in the last 5 days... I don't know what I'm doing wrong...
I don't know if that has anything to do with it, but each time I type http://192.168.0.1/ in the browser, that gets no response...

I hope I can find some help here, because I really don't want to pay 100€ for a guy to come to my house and help me with this sh*t.

Thanks a lot in advance
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 12:08:38 PM by Napalm Death »

PcWinTech.com Forums

N00b here : issue with port forwarding
« on: September 17, 2016, 11:59:05 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: N00b here : issue with port forwarding
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2016, 12:39:00 PM »
#1 As how to check what the IP Address is/are, Subnet Mask is/are, Default Gateway is, MAC Address(es) is/are, DNS Server(s) are of your computer, it depends on the OS and Version.

Note: This example assumes that you are on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, Windows 10.

a) Press the Windows Start key to open the Start screen.

b) Type cmd and press Enter to launch the command prompt.

Note: You do not need to click on anything on the Start screen—typing will automatically initiate a program search.

c) Type ipconfig /all at the command prompt to check the network card settings.

d) If not on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8, Windows 10 and you do not know how to check that network info - then post what is your OS and Version is.

#2 The Default Gateway of your computer should be the same as the LAN IP of the router.

#3 If it is not, please post and we will go from there.

#4 The UI of your NAT router looks what you see at http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/CBN/CH7486E/default.htm ?

#5 As need be take, save and upload a screen shot

-> As need be see http://www.take-a-screenshot.org/
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Napalm Death

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2016, 01:13:20 PM »
Thanks for your answer

I did the command you requested and the router IP provided on the router web interface does not match the Default gateway given by the command...
See the files attached. I blurred some info but I am not sure which one is safe to post and which is not...

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2016, 05:45:44 PM »
Ok, I see both IPv4 and IPv6 Address(es).

Let us focus on the IPv4 Address system.

#1 Your Default Gateway (IPv4) on your computer is the same as the NAT router's LAN IPv4 Address. :)

#2 Go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/

#3 On that web page is the non bogan IPv4 (Public) Address that users from Internet use to connect to you.

#4 In your NAT router, the IPv4 WAN Address is the same?

#5 Important note: This is not to say that the non bogan IP Address has to be Static.

a) Example non bogan IP Address is 999.888.777.666 and in the router the WAN IP is 10.0.0.2 - this is not ok.

b) Example yesterday's IP Address was 999.888.777.666 and today's IP Address is 999.888.777.555 - this is ok.

#6 If your router you do not see the non bogan IP Address, it first depends on the WAN IP in the router.

Note: Quoting my self a little bit, since I can see some of the IPv4 Address but no way do I know if it is same or not.

a) If the WAN IP in the router is in the IP Address Range of 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255, then CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present.

--

If you want more details about CGNAT/NAT444/LSN, you can look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

The possible fixes to fix your issue if CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present.

#1 Have them in their NAT router forward the ports to the IP of your router..

#2 Upgrading the type of plan that you are on with your ISP so that you get a non bogan IP Address.

For example if you are a Residential Service Plan, consider going to a Business Service Plan.

#3 Consider switching to another ISP that can give you you a non bogan IP Address.

#4 For the long term future, get IPv6 working.

--

b) If the WAN IP in the router is any of these IP Address Range(s):

From 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255, from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 OR from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 now it matters the type of NAT router it is.

-> Based upon your type of router, CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present ( see above for fix ).

d) If the WAN IPv4 was not any of those, it would be a good idea to check to see how the non bogan IP Address is not the same (and not NAT). If users need help finding why that is, they are to asking for help doing so.

#7 Moving along assuming that the WAN IPv4 is the same -> In the NAT router you are trying to forward to the IPv4 Address on your computer? In the screen shot that you took it was 192.168.0.251

-> As need be, also show how you are forwarding the ports in the NAT router's forwarding page.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Napalm Death

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2016, 08:51:28 PM »
I'll check that after work, but first tell me, is it safe to post my IPv6 address on a forum?
If yes, then I'll just stop hiding parts of it.

Offline Napalm Death

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 11:04:25 PM »
I'll try to answer point by point

#1 Your Default Gateway (IPv4) on your computer is the same as the NAT router's LAN IPv4 Address.
     ==> it seems like it indeed; 192.168.0.1 isn't it?

#2 Go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/
#3 On that web page is the non bogan IPv4 (Public) Address that users from Internet use to connect to you.
#4 In your NAT router, the IPv4 WAN Address is the same?
     ==> I don't know why, but the website only gives me my IPv6 adress (see attachment); And it's different from the WAN-IPv6 address, the websites gives me the IPv6 address from my laptop.

#5 Important note: This is not to say that the non bogan IP Address has to be Static.
a) Example non bogan IP Address is 999.888.777.666 and in the router the WAN IP is 10.0.0.2 - this is not ok.
b) Example yesterday's IP Address was 999.888.777.666 and today's IP Address is 999.888.777.555 - this is ok.
     ==> You're losing me a bit here. I just know that my ISP does not provide fix IP address for residential customers, but that never was an issue previously.

#6 If your router you do not see the non bogan IP Address, it first depends on the WAN IP in the router.
d) If the WAN IPv4 was not any of those, it would be a good idea to check to see how the non bogan IP Address is not the same (and not NAT). If users need help finding why that is, they are to asking for help doing so.
#7 Moving along assuming that the WAN IPv4 is the same -> In the NAT router you are trying to forward to the IPv4 Address on your computer? In the screen shot that you took it was 192.168.0.251
     ==> it seems correct but I'm a bit lost in the complexity of the tasks and checks. I provided some screenshots, I hope they help; I just don't know what's safe to post and waht's not.

Thanks a lot for your help

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2016, 04:41:40 AM »
While I do not have IPv6 running here, I thought it provided the IPv4 Address only. Opps.

Example of site(s) that show at least the IPv4 Address (as long as you have that - not limited to only IPv6), you could use any of these

http://ipv4.xmission.com/

http://test-ipv6.com/

http://ipv6-test.com/

Offline Napalm Death

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2016, 05:01:23 AM »
I found a way to see it by disabling IPv6 for a moment

here are some print screens.
The IPv4 WAN address matches the IP address given on the websites that scans my IP.

Offline Napalm Death

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2016, 06:26:53 AM »
By the way, I asked my ISP why the 192.168.0.1 URL was not working, and they told me that they replaced this with the web interface I screenshot.
So normal that this request does nos give any response.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2016, 10:22:55 AM »
#1 In the router you must find the IPv4 DHCP Range.

#2 You need to make sure it does not occupy the whole subnet.

#3 If it does, you need to make it smaller.

For example with the NAT router at 192.168.0.1, the first IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.2, and the last IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.254 - you could make the first IP Address that it hands out so that it is 192.168.0.100

#4 Then on your computer you setup a Static IPv4 outside of the DHCP Range and forward only to that IPv4 Address that you setup for the port that you want to use.

For example with the NAT router at 192.168.0.1, the first IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.100, and the last IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.254 - you could make your Static IP 192.168.0.6

Offline Napalm Death

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2016, 10:42:01 AM »
#1 In the router you must find the IPv4 DHCP Range.
     ==> AS I said, I can only access the router info via the web interface, and that info is not available it seems

#2 You need to make sure it does not occupy the whole subnet.
     ==> How can I make sure it does not?

#3 If it does, you need to make it smaller.
For example with the NAT router at 192.168.0.1, the first IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.2, and the last IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.254 - you could make the first IP Address that it hands out so that it is 192.168.0.100
     ==> My ISP only gives me dynamic addresses, but if that's a problem that does not explain how it worked for 2 years previously

#4 Then on your computer you setup a Static IPv4 outside of the DHCP Range and forward only to that IPv4 Address that you setup for the port that you want to use.
For example with the NAT router at 192.168.0.1, the first IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.100, and the last IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.254 - you could make your Static IP 192.168.0.6
     ==> I have no idea how I can assign an IP to my laptop to be honest

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2016, 10:41:15 AM »
Ok.

#1 After logging to the NAT router, is the first page that you see the first screen shot that you showed me

where you said

Thanks for your answer

I did the command you requested and the router IP provided on the router web interface does not match the Default gateway given by the command...
See the files attached. I blurred some info but I am not sure which one is safe to post and which is not...

????

#2 If not, what is the first page?

#3 As well as: That first screen shot that you showed is the entire page?

#4 While I know you do not have a separate NAT router: Do you have a spare NAT Router?

For example while I have my Linksys E4200 (hardware) ver 1 connected to my Motorola SB6141 (cable modem but not a modem combo - unlike what you have), I have (not connected to anything else) the Linksys WTR54G v2

#5 If not to my last question: Do you have a spare computer that is not in use that works that either has:

a) Two NICs

b) OR you can add a second NIC into the computer

???

For example by a second NIC into the computer I mean a PCI NIC like the TRENDnet - Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter (Model: TE100-PCIWN).

Note: At least one of those two NICs, must be a wired NIC.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »
While #1 I know we both have lives off line and as well as #2 as long as thread is not locked I can re-edit my post, I wonder about your NAT router's DHCP Server is either tricky to set up or impossible.

For tricky to change:

#1 I point to (third party site) portforward.com -> Forums -> Knowledge Base -> Changing the DHCP server pools on a SPEEDTOUCH

#2 While the screen shots are now missing from that thread, I remember what I saw for the UI.

--

The UI that he/she/they is/are talking about looks like what you see at

(third party site) portforward.com -> Screenshot Database -> Thomson -> SpeedTouch 546v5

AND as well as pcwintech.com -> Router Screenshots -> Thomson Routers/Modems, at least the following unit(s):

a) Speedtouch 510 (Thomson v4 Firmware)

b) Speedtouch 510 (Thomson v5 Firmware)

c) Speedtouch 510i (Thomson Firmware)

d) Speedtouch 516 (Thomson v5 Firmware)

---

When he/she/they said setup a Static IP, they meant going to (third party site) portforward.com -> Setup a Static IP Address (under where it says Games OR Guides, selecting your OS and version (for example Windows 10) and following the directions.

If you want to use software to help you setup a Static IP, I do not recommend their software. As their software, as far as I know, does not allow to define the Static IP that you want to use.

Instead consider using pcwintech.com -> Simple Static IP.

Keeping in mind that neither software, again as far I know, does not tell you to check the DHCP Range and make adjustments to it.

---

Anyways as noted in that KB that I pointed you to, you can not just adjust the DHCP Range you must disable the DHCP Server first.

Before doing that, as noted in the KB, this means temporarialy Setup a Static IP on your computer.

As why that NAT router is picky/so annoying about the DHCP Server, I have no idea.

As to why it you to tells you to temporarialy Setup a Static IP on your computer, is because when the DHCP Server is disabled and if your computer was not setup to use a Static IP - your computer would have a random IP Address that starts off with 169.254 and would not be able to talk the NAT router.

--------

For impossible to change: While I have seen any examples that I point you to, that would suck - Only DHCP enabled (and whole subnet) or DHCP disabled.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 09:31:53 AM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »

email