Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: LAN is working but no mobile  (Read 46152 times)

Offline guinessnc

• PcWinTech Member
LAN is working but no mobile
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »
Hello all, I am new here and not too tech savvy, but I get by. I have been on many forums before and I know about searching for old common problems. Alas, I think I may need individual help.  :rolleyes:

As I said in topic, LAN works perfectly at home. Getting on from work or iPhone (remotely)  is not working. I assume this could only be a port forwarding problem.

Here is what I have:

-My ISP is CentruryLink (DSL)
-My Router is a Actiontec C1000A (CenturyLink)
-My Lorex is a LH118000
-I have a Linksys Wireless Extender RE1000 but I don't see how this would matter with WAN

NOTE: Prior to the Actiontec C1000A, I had a Linksys E2000 Router and Zyxel modem setup. I had NO issues getting on LAN or WAN with that setup

What I have tried:

-I used the LOREX Port Forwarding software that came with the DVR
-I manually went into the Actiontec 192.168.0.1 to port forward 80, 1025 and 9000 (Not sure if this was the right thing to do or not but in my troubleshooting I also port forwarded the Lorex DVR 192.168.1.22) 
-I have the "Net Analyzer" on my iPhone. It says that 80, 1025 and 9000 are CLOSED when I search the Actiontec 192.168.0.1, but OPEN on the LOREX DVR (see above)
-I downloaded the "Simple Port Tester" and for "IP to listen on"-192.168.0.3 it said 80, 1025 and 9000 was offline and cannot be reached. Each port failed the test
-I tested for Multiple Routers and it came back with Status Log: Checking for routers...Possible 1st Router: 192.168.0.1Routers Found: 1
-I did the Detect Possible Firewall test and received the following message "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Wcmsvc
--Description: @%SystemRoot%\System32\wcmsvc.dll,-4098--DisplayName: @%SystemRoot%\System32\wcmsvc.dll,-4097
--ImagePath: C:\windows\system32\svchost.exe -k LocalServiceNetworkRestricted''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''
Done, Scan Complete.

I have included a couple commonly asked for screenshots

One additional thing I might add. Not sure if this has anything relevance, but I seem to be getting an error message on the "DDNS Setup" page of my Lorex. It says Update unsuccessful. Code 1. Network is unreachable or DNSis wrong. I included a screenshot of this as well.

Please help. Again I apologize for any duplicate posts.

Thank You!

PcWinTech.com Forums

LAN is working but no mobile
« on: July 17, 2016, 05:10:34 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: LAN is working but no mobile
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 01:01:24 PM »
#1 When you tested the ports using the client side port checker, you were forwarding to your LAN IP Address?

#2 Also show you were forwarding the ports in your router.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 01:10:14 PM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline guinessnc

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:55:25 PM »
#1 I am unclear on this question. Are you referring to the "Simple Port Tester" program?

#2 The Actiontec router port forward screen shot is my first attachment on my op but I will attach again. Let me know if this is not it.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 06:45:35 AM »
#1 Ok, I see an error.

Delete the rules that point from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.1 (rule 4, 5 and 6).

#2 In the screen shot you are shown forwarding the DVR IP Address. Nothing wrong with that, but to test with the client side port checker (Simple Port Tester) you need to forwarding to the LAN IP of your computer.

#3 Does your current NAT router (Actiontec C1000A) support DDNS?

#4 Is the only way to update that DNNS is to use the DVR unit?

#5 Do you still have the Linksys E2000?

For example, you might say (or something like it)

Yes, but at this time it is not connected to anything
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline guinessnc

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 09:11:35 AM »
#1 I will remove Rule 4, 5, 6 (tonight when I get home)
#2 I performed the "Simple Port Tester" from my WiFi connected Dell laptop. Simple Port Tester only allows me to use that IP address, (192.168.0.3). IOW, the IP address field cannot be modified.
#3 In the router there is a Tab under "IP Addressing" which states Dynamic DNS. So I would assume it does support DDNS. I have not touched these settings.
#4 If this is in regards to my comment in my OP "One additional thing I might add. Not sure if this has anything relevance, but I seem to be getting an error message on the "DDNS Setup" page of my Lorex. It says Update unsuccessful. Code 1. Network is unreachable or DNSis wrong. I included a screenshot of this as well." I do not know how this gets updated.
#5 Yes I still have the Linksys E2000 but it is no longer in use/ not connected to anything. I DO NOT have the Zyxel Modem any longer. 

Offline guinessnc

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 09:27:43 AM »
Not knowing what all screenshots were needed, I captured several more. See latest attachment. 

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 10:26:34 AM »
a) I point to and quote from DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Networking -> Modem/router(not in bridge mode) + router the reply by DSLR user clarknova (#1713475) on 2013-Sep-18 at 2:13 pm

There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.

b) While I know your ISP might be not Comcast, I found some info that says that modem combos should be put into bridge mode (or use a standalone modem and a standalone router).

#1 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> O Canada! -> Canadian -> Rogers -> [Modem/Router] Can the Rogers WIFI Modem be set to Bridge Mode & turn off WIFI? the reply by DSLR user puzz1ed (#1162591) on 2015-Feb-15 at 2:32 pm

Another reason to run the Rogers modem (DPC3825) in bridge mode is to avoid bufferbloat issues and also to be able to play with QoS in your own router.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28271027-Bufferbloat-long-read

I was having lag issues in a PS3 when Steam was running on another PC both hardwired. Disabling the Rogers router and putting in my basic Netgear WNR2000 router mostly eliminated the problem. After that I could fine-tune with QoS. The DPC3825 wifi is also fairly weak.

#2 From DSLR(dslreports.com) ->Forums -> Broadband Tech ->  Networking -> Between the 2 witch one should I pick???

a) the reply by DSLR user Nightfall (#443491) on 2015-Feb-5 at 11:24 am
I buy a separate router and access point because I like putting my access point in the house in a central location. The router and cable modem sit in the basement in a wiring closet.

b) the reply by DSLR user BlueMist (#1780151) on 2015-Feb-5 at 11:33 am

Another thought comes to mind. If you get a unit with WiFi that the ISP has access to there is a good chance the ISP will turn it into a free hotspot with out asking you. Possibly not right now but give them time...

Check out this link for example. http://www.fastcolabs.com/3039682/comcast-was-sued-for-quietly-making-your-homes-internet-part-of-the-sharing-economy

I believe, as has been shown in the past, your owning the box will not keep them from uploading firmware and permanently locking you out of box's management sections as soon as their system identifies it exists.

#3 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Time Warner Cable -> [Internet] I'm hoping for modem/router advice the reply by DSLR user rchandra (#237843) on 2015-Feb-3 at 8:50 pm

Keep the modem and the router separate; do not procure any of those combined units. This means you retain complete control over the WiFi. One component going down does not affect the other. Needing to swap out your cable modem does not lose the work you put into configuring your WiFi. Upgrading to a new DOCSIS doesn't affect your WiFi, and upgrading WiFi does not affect your cable Internet service. Keeping them separate aids in troubleshooting by separating functions; there's no question about one affecting the other.

For me at least, a WGR614 serves my WiFi needs well. Additionally, I'm just using it as an access point, and my router is a Linux box (happens to be an OptiPlex GX1), so functions are pretty much totally separated.

#4 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Charter Internet/TV -> Does Charter Use A Separate Modem and Router?

a) the reply by DSLR user arbit3r9 (#237843) on 2015-Jan-17 at 1:43 am
IMO All-in-one modem/router are junk period, kinda like those all in one printer/scanner/fax. it doesn't do anyone of the 3 very well, does all 3 ok but not 1 good. Better to be dedicated to 1 job not 2.

b) the reply by DSLR user Dogg (#824865) on 2015-Jan-21 at 12:09 pm
There is nothing "wrong" with combo hardware, when everything is working. The "problem" is when there is an issue and you need to troubleshoot. One of the first steps is to connect a PC directly to the modem to rule out a router issue, which obviously can't be done if you have a combo unit.

#5 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Time Warner Cable -> Suggestions for Cable modem Router Combo

a) the reply by DSLR user maartena (#628714) on 2015-Jan-11 at 6:32 pm

My opinion is to keep the modem and router separate. It makes managing your network a little easier, and your own router you have complete control of the software you put on.

b) the reply by DSLR user unoriginal (#171629) on 2015-Jan-13 at 1:30 am
My thought is to keep them separate because if one part craps out on you then you lose two functions instead of just one. Imagine if you have to send it in for warranty service, what would you use in place of the combo modem/router?

c)  the reply by DSLR user maartena (#628714) on 2015-Jan-13 at 2:55 am
A few good reasons to keep router and modem separate:

- You usually have more features and better wireless on a router, depending on what you buy of course.
- Many routers have 3d party firmwares available that expand on features or unlock features.
- If the modem breaks, you just have to replace the modem: All of your settings such as wireless networks, firewall settings, internal dhcp/ip settings will remain in place.
- If you want to upgrade the modem to get faster speeds: same thing. Just put in a new modem, and go on like nothing has happened.

A few good reasons for a router/modem combo.

- 1 box. Less wires. Less devices. Less space used.
- .... yeah that's about it. :D

and on and on....

---------------------------

Advice

#1 Make sure that the WAN port of the RJ-45 WAN port router (your Linksys E2000) is connected to the modem combo.

#2 Make sure that all of your computers are behind your RJ-45 WAN port router.

#3 and put the broadband modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them...

^^^^

Offline guinessnc

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 10:52:20 AM »
Wow that is a lot of information. I truly appreciate the time you put into that search. Looks like a LOT of negative comments against the Modem/Router combos which is what my Actiontec is.

I read through all the posts and I understood 85% of the jargon.

My predicament is that there is a reason why I no longer use the separate router (Linksys E2000) and modem (Zyxel). I had SEVERAL issues that I wont get into here but the main problem was having to constantly (few times a week) restart the Zyxel and/ or Linksys. Not sure whether it was a router or modem problem. Additionally, I got faster internet speed therefore I had to upgrade the modem. I took this chance to knock out 2 birds with one stone.

With the exception of not being able to remotely access my Lorex system, the Actiontec combo has run beautifully!

Is using the E2000 in conjunction with the Actiontec my only option?   

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »

Is using the E2000 in conjunction with the Actiontec my only option?

No.

If you have( or had) a spare computer that is not in use that works that either has:

a) Two NICs (and note at least one must be a wired NIC)

b) OR you can add a second NIC into the computer (For example by a second NIC into the computer I mean a PCI NIC like the TRENDnet - Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter (Model: TE100-PCIWN)  )

...then you could covert that spare computer that works into acting a NAT router. As noted / addressed at

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/118897

Note: If want to use a spare computer as a NAT Router, before putting the modem combo into bridge mode: Be sure to know which NIC is which - as the NIC will not be ( LAN VS the WAN/ Internet / To Modem Port ) labeled!

#2 Go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/

#3 On that web page is the non bogan IP (Public) Address that users from Internet use to connect to you.

#4 In your router, you must have the same non bogan IP Address.

As where I look for that IP Address, for your router that is at Modem Status -> Connection Status.

#5 If your router you do not see the non bogan IP Address, it first depends on the WAN IP in the router.

a) If the WAN IP in the router is in the IP Address Range of 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255, then CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present.

--

If you want more details about CGNAT/NAT444/LSN, you can look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

The possible fixes to fix your issue if CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present.

#1 Have them in their NAT router forward the ports to the IP of your router..

#2 Upgrading the type of plan that you are on with your ISP so that you get a non bogan IP Address.

For example if you are a Residential Service Plan, consider going to a Business Service Plan.

#3 Consider switching to another ISP that can give you you a non bogan IP Address.

#4 For the long term future, get IPv6 working.

--

b) If the WAN IP in the router is any of these IP Address Range(s):

From 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255, from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 OR from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 now it matters the type of NAT router it is.

-> Based upon your type of router, CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present ( see above for fix ).

d) If the WAN IP was not any of those, it would be a good idea to check to see how the non bogan IP Address is not the same (and not NAT). If users need help finding why that is, they are to asking for help doing so.

#6 Also if you want to forward to the DVR with your modem combo, this is what I suggest.

a) Leave it setup for DHCP in it's UI (if you can).

b) Be sure to know it's MAC Address.

c) In the modem combo you can tell the modem combo to give to your DVR the same IP Address every single time. This is at Advanced Setup -> DHCP Reservation

--

If you can not leave the DVR setup to use DHCP, and you want to use the modem combo but not in bridge mode then this is what I suggest.

#1 In the modem combo go to Advanced Setup -> DHCP Settings

#2 You need to make sure that it's DHCP Range does not occupy the whole subnet.

#3 If it does, then you need to make it smaller.

For example with the NAT router at 192.168.0.1, the first IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.2 and the last IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.254 - you could make the first IP Address that it hands out so that it is 192.168.0.100

#4 Then on your DVR you need to make sure it's Static IP is outside of the DHCP Range.

For example with the NAT Router at 192.168.0.1, the first IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.100 and the last IP Address that it hands out is 192.168.0.254 - you could make the static IP 192.168.0.6

#5 Note: This concept/theory applies to all kinds of NAT routers (hardware based, software based and as well as modem combo or RJ-45 WAN port).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 01:17:57 PM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2016, 12:55:02 PM »

email