Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: SATA II VS SATA  (Read 13649 times)

Offline drewblack9

• PcWinTech Full Member
SATA II VS SATA
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:39:54 AM »
I am gettng a SSD hard drive today that is for SATA II. Will it work with SATA ports on my motherboard?
-Drew

PcWinTech.com Forums

SATA II VS SATA
« on: April 16, 2009, 05:39:54 AM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Yes, but you'll be limited to
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 07:39:15 AM »
Yes, but you'll be limited to the SATA (1) speed.  Are you 100% that it is an SSD (and not HDD) and that your ports are SATA (and not SATA II)?.  If you are getting an SSD you'll really be limiting yourself by using it on a SATA channel.  Your basically putting a Porsche on a dirt road.

I can point you into the direction of some good reviews you might want to look at if you haven't already purchased the product.  I will so though, I'm very jealous and I know anyone reading this would love to hear how the drive performs.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline drewblack9

• PcWinTech Full Member
-Drew

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
According to mfr link to the
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:00:14 AM »
According to mfr link to the MOBO it says the SATA ports are SATA II.  But that link also shows a built in wifi so I'm worried it might linked to a newer version of your MOBO.  We should probably use a utility and check the ports.  If they are SATA II then you won't get a bottleneck at that connection.

The SDD is also a 2.5 (notebook size) drive.  Do you have a way to properly mount that in your PC?  Are you planning on using this for gaming or a new operating system or something entirely different?

Overall it looks like your heading in a good direction.  I know not all SDDs are created equal though.  I can't recall, off the top of my head, which are the best and which are the rest though, but I can look it up.

-Evan

Offline drewblack9

• PcWinTech Full Member
The reason Newegg doesn't
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:09:10 AM »
The reason Newegg doesn't show the built in wifi is because it is removable if you look at the photos on newegg the photo of the accessories shows the Wifi card that hasn't been attached.  

The main reason I am getting the SSD is because they do not generate heat.  The case I am putting it in is very small and made of plastic.  (It's an NES)

I know that this drive is not the best but when I am working in such a small amount of space I will need the least amount of heat to be generated.

and yes it will be used for gaming.
-Drew

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Morning guys. Drew Sata 2 is
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 08:33:37 AM »
Morning guys.

Drew Sata 2 is 3Gb/s and sata 1 is 1.5Gb/s. Your motherboard has 2 SATA 3Gb/s ports (which by the way will support sata 1 as well)So yes the drive will work with your MB.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
NES PC..nice. I didnt know
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 08:40:47 AM »
NES PC..nice.

I didnt know your modding.  I see your point now.  

Yeah, it looks like that stuff is good for what you need.  You can always find the "best" SDD, but you're right on track with the heatig issue.  

Another approach you could take would be to use a external HDD dock (which would work with a SDD) that has a eSATA port.  Since you are modding anyways it wouldn't be a problem to have that connect directly to your MOBO.  You'd have an external drive which might look bad and if kids are aroud they might mess with but you'd also not have to worry about cooling, free up space in the case, and you could have different drives (SDD or HDD) that have different OS's on them and hence some flexibility.

The best docking unit that supports SATA II and eSATA is less than $40.00.  I don't have time to post the link...I'm out the door but I will get back to it later.

-Evan

Offline drewblack9

• PcWinTech Full Member
thanks guys
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 09:08:16 AM »
thanks guys
-Drew

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
No problem, glad we could
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »
No problem, glad we could help.  Send pics of your project if you can.  I'd seriously like to see that mod as it happens and I'm curious as to what/how you are going to use it.

Here's a the link to the info regarding the HDD docking units, if you want to take that approach.  http://forum.scottmueller.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=997 That will explain about as much as you'll need for now regarding the docks (I asked the question so I could have a clear answer and so I could help others if they asked).
There is a chance the dock might limit your throughput a little, but sine you're board has 2 ports you could combine the ideas.

1 thing you need to remember regardig SATA is that he cable can only be a total length of 1 meter (3 feet).  Same idea of as the 18" limit on the ribbon cables on the old PATA interface (aka "IDE").
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 11:13:36 AM by Evan »

PcWinTech.com Forums

No problem, glad we could
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 12:39:13 PM »

email