Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: ZyXEL P8702N v.2 SUPPORT  (Read 25938 times)

Offline respir2r

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
ZyXEL P8702N v.2 SUPPORT
« on: April 20, 2016, 02:33:28 AM »
3 months has passed...  :confused:

Soo I'll try again.....

Hey I se my post has been locked, so ppl can't comment...??
I bought the pro version of Simple Portforward, and would expect some support...

So I repost my tread in hope for some support from ANYONE in the forum....

Hi all...

I can't find my modem in your list... I've already added it with router-screen-capture, a while back...

Is there anybody out there who know about a firmware for a different modem, I can use on my modem?

all suggestions are welcome....

tnx

PcWinTech.com Forums

ZyXEL P8702N v.2 SUPPORT
« on: April 20, 2016, 02:33:28 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: ZyXEL P8702N v.2 SUPPORT
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »
That is interesting issue, but I have to tell you this.

#1 I point to and quote part of DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Software and Operating Systems -. All Things Unix -> Windows 10: Another reason to use Linux!

As I stated in that thread I fail to see the point in using this program.

Why? Most routers today have a pretty simple GUI based interface to setup forwarding of ports for programs. And thus this program has NO USE.

IF you KNOW the ports.... Now there is the rub..... but here is also the part where users can learn something(s). Yeah I can rattle off ports/programs for the popular stuff, one cause I use it, and two stupid A+/Network+ ask you to fill out such stuff on their tests.

I would suggest creating a thread in the networking or software forum(S) and posting WHAT SOFTWARE this is, and most can probably tell you which port(S) to open in your router. Most routers have the basics for ftp etc. covered.. For some program I am sure it is just a google search away mostly to find the port(s) needed, or even using uPNP (although that would NOT be my choice, security risk) again simple GUI on/off in most consumer/low end SOHO routers.

Most will probably be glad to tell you the port(S) and post some screen snaps if needed to set this up.

Again I just don't see the purpose or need for this program?!?!?

#2 Thinking about what I was told, he/she is correct.

#3 As how to forward ports manually goes like this..

---

#1 As how to check what the IP Address is/are, Subnet Mask is/are, Default Gateway is, MAC Address(es) is/are, DNS Server(s) are of your computer, it depends on the OS and Version.

Note: This example assumes that you are on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8.

a) Press the Windows Start key to open the Start screen.

b) Type cmd and press Enter to launch the command prompt.

Note: You do not need to click on anything on the Start screen—typing will automatically initiate a program search.

c) Type ipconfig /all at the command prompt to check the network card settings.

d) If not on Windows Vista, Windows 7 or Windows 8 and you do not know how to check that network info - then post what is your OS and Version is.

#2 If the Default Gateway of your computer is not the same as the LAN IP if your router, please post and then I tell you what to do next.

#3 Moving along assuming the Default Gateway of your computer is the same as the LAN IP if your router...

#4 Go to http://whatismyipaddress.com/

#5 On that web page is the non bogan IP (Public) Address that users from Internet use to connect to you.

#6 In your router, you must have the same non bogan IP Address.

Example non bogan IP Address is 999.888.777.666, but in the router the WAN IP is 10.0.0.100 - this is not ok.

Important note: This is not to say that the non bogan IP Address has to be Static.

Example yesterday's IP Address was 999.888.777.666 and today's IP Address is 999.888.777.555 - this is ok.

#7 If your router you do not see the non bogan IP Address, it first depends on the WAN IP in the router.

a) If the WAN IP in the router is in the IP Address Range of 100.64.0.0 - 100.127.255.255, then CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present.

--

If you want more details about CGNAT/NAT444/LSN, you can look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier-grade_NAT

The possible fixes to fix your issue since CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present.

#1 Have them in their NAT router forward the ports to the IP of your router..

#2 Upgrading the type of plan that you are on with your ISP so that you get a non bogan IP Address.

For example if you are a Residential Service Plan, consider going to a Business Service Plan.

#3 Consider switching to another ISP that can give you you a non bogan IP Address.

#4 For the long term future, get IPv6 working.

--

b) If the WAN IP in the router is any of these IP Address Range(s):

From 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.255.255, from 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 OR from 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 now it matters the type of NAT router it is.

If not a RJ-45 WAN port router, then CGNAT/NAT444/LSN is present.

Otherwise (quoting my self)

Step one: Physically find your router.

Step two Find the WAN port of it.

Info: The WAN port could also be called the Internet or To Modem port.

Step three: Report back what you found on the other end of that wire that is connected to the WAN port of it.

c) If do not know the type of router, it would help to know the brand and model of it.

d) If the WAN IP was not any of those, it would be a good idea to check to see how the non bogan IP Address is not the same (and not NAT). If users need help finding why that is, they are to asking for help doing so.

-----

#8 Moving along assuming that the non bogan IP Address is in your router and assuming the Default Gateway of your computer is the same as the LAN IP if your router..

#9 If the output on your computer was:

IP Address 192.168.1.50
Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway 192.168.1.1
At least one DNS 192.168.1.1

-> then you need to forward to 192.168.1.50

#10 Here are some notes about listening (quoting my self) :

a) If you are on Windows I point you to http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/28609/how-can-i-tell-what-is-listening-on-a-tcpip-port-in-windows/

b) If you are not on Windows (Mac, Unix/Linux), go look lookup listen on port and then your OS name using Google (or your other favorite search engine).

c) If nothing is listening any TCP ports that you check with a web based port checker, then TCP ports does not show up as open.

d) Be advised that you can not have two servers listening on the same the port on the same computer. So for example before you use an inbond-client side port checker you must make sure that uTorrent is not running - which explains on http://portforward.com/softwareguides/utorrent/utorrent.htm that they say

If uTorrent is currently open, you will need to completely close it at this time. Make sure that the green uTorrent icon is not still hiding in your notification area (next to your clock). If it is, right click on it and choose "Exit". Before moving forward to things like selecting torrents, seeders, and leachers, we need to verify that your port is open. We recommend downloading our free Open Port Check Tool to test if incoming connections are being allowed through your router on your uTorrent Listening Port

e) And generally if the program/app is running that you are trying to forward for, then the server is listening.

#11 If you are sure that your app/program that you are forwarding is running but it is not listening, it would help to know the name of the app/program that you are forwarding for.

#12 If not using an inbound client side port checker:

a) Use for example http://nmap.online-domain-tools.com/ to check the port(s). By default it will only check TCP ports, but can also check UDP ports.

b) From DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband and Networking -> Networking -> How to know if ports are reaching my computer from outside the post by DSLR user mackey (user # 1479488) on 2015-Sep-24 at 8:05 pm - if you wanted to test port 5154, besides using an inbound client side port checker:

Run tcpdump (`tcpdump -p -n -i <interface> port 5154` would be a good command to start with). If you see incoming TCP SYN packets (not SYN/ACK), or incoming UDP packets from an IP which did not have an outgoing packet first, then the port is open.

c) For tcpdump on Windows I found this info https://uwnthesis.wordpress.com/2014/05/26/windump-how-to-use-windump-tcpdump-on-windows-7-the-visual-guide/

#13 Here are some catches about ping (quoting my self)  :

a) If the server that you forwarded requires that you reply to ping, well then you must enable responding to ping in the router.

b) If the server that you forwarded does not require that you reply to ping, well that depends on another factor..

As to what that other factor is, I point to and quote the post by nwrickert (DSLR user #1070900) in DSLR (dslreports.com) Forums >Broadband Tech > Security > Security > DMZ and portforwarding are equally dangerous? on 2010-08-21 at 13:53:23.

While he tells people that responding to ping is dangerous, he replys to ping.

That's a pretty minor point. The reason some people prefer to not respond to ping, is to avoid demonstrating their presence on the net. Gibson has a public site whose presence on the net is well known, so that reason for not responding to ping simply does not apply.

While Steve Gibson does sometimes say some useful things, he mostly seems to be making mountains out of molehills

Note: Sorry for my misspelling, I meant replies.

c) There are certain troubleshooting tools that require that you reply to ping.

For example if you wanted to use the followings tool(s) at DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Tools: Smokeping, Line quality - Ping Test, and for 24x7 Line Monitoring...

#4 If the ports are open (this means not just in the router) but the program/app does not work: I have an odd feeling that with this server, you must reply to ping.

#14 With most apps/programs: You must provide to users from the outside either your non bogan IP Address or DDNS.

What DNS is, here is the simple as possible version as how it works.

I know of a given domain name. What is their IP Address for that domain?

The first D in DDNS means/allows you to have a domain name the follows your non static non bogan IP Address. Which is a lot easier to provide and normally most people use DNS over the IP Address for the content servers that they want to connect to.. ;)
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: ZyXEL P8702N v.2 SUPPORT
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 10:51:53 AM »

email