Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: PC Restart after power failure  (Read 31523 times)

Offline westnewjersey

• PcWinTech Member
PC Restart after power failure
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:37:09 AM »
I have a host pc in another location that I connect into via GOTOMYPC.  Whenever the power goes out at the host pc, it does not restart and therefore, I'm not able to remote into it.  I would like the pc to restart automatically after the power is restored.  I have to ask a friend to go and restart the computer now, which is a bit of a pain.  The host pc is a 2014 Dell Inspiron running windows 7.  I had some suggestions of installing team viewer or making a change to the bios settings. 

Would like to ask the Forum if you have ever done this, if yes, how did you do it.  I would want the pc to come back on after the power is restored.  Its in a secure location.  Thanks!

PcWinTech.com Forums

PC Restart after power failure
« on: April 16, 2016, 08:37:09 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: PC Restart after power failure
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2016, 11:20:38 AM »
Since Team Viewer does not help you if the computer is off.: I would think in the BIOS settings, there should a setting for that.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline westnewjersey

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2016, 12:20:22 PM »
OK, thanks for the thought.  Thats my next step.

I would imagine that someone has solved this before, especially for a remote host server.  For the quick electrical failures, a UPS would be the ideal solution to keep the server running.  Longer outages where the UPS safely shuts down the equipment would be the thing I'm looking to solve for.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2016, 04:26:19 AM »
I am not sure if you have a UPS or not, but if you do - this what I suggest.

#1 Enable WOL (Wake Up On LAN) :

a) In the Bios

b) In the OS

#2 With another computer behind the router, see if you Wake up the computer with a WOL packet.

#3 If so, then in the router forward the WOL packet(s) [port] to the computer has GOTOMYPC on it.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline westnewjersey

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »
It was right there in the Bios.  An option to restart after power failure.  And it works.

Thanks for the ideas.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2016, 11:05:00 AM »