Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: DVD Write Protected  (Read 34108 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
DVD Write Protected
« on: March 11, 2016, 01:28:39 PM »
My daughter gave me a nice little toy that supposedly will let me read a VCR tape into my system. The idea being I would write the tape out to a DVD. So I took a DVD and tried to format it. Was informed it was write protected. Not knowing the pedigree of that DVD I went out today and purchased some brand new Memorex DVD-R discs. Loaded one and tried to format. Same problem -- write protected. What am I doing wrong?

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

DVD Write Protected
« on: March 11, 2016, 01:28:39 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: DVD Write Protected
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2016, 06:33:35 PM »
You just need to burn the data to the DVD.

Formating a DVD is for DVD+RW and DVD-RW only.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 12:16:35 AM »
I have Windows 7 and I think all I have to do is just copy a file to the disc. Tried that. It first told me to insert a disc. I did. Then it ground around for a long time, finally stopped. I tried to open it.  It asked me how I wanted to use the disc. I replied 'like a flash drive'. It tried to write a label.  Once again said disc was write protected. Perhaps my drive is screwed up? Can read but not write?

Mac

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 12:10:46 PM »
Besides like a flash drive, what other option(s) is/are there?
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 04:59:11 PM »
The other option displayed is "With a CD/DVD Player". It won't let me select that option. I click on it but it doesn't do anything.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 12:56:03 PM »

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 11:31:11 PM »
Read that forum. Apparently he/she had a bad drive. I'll try that but first I want to try different discs. The discs I have are DVD-R. If you recall, the option given by Windows was 'use like a flash drive'. Which of course means you can write, read, erase, and write again. The way I understand DVD-R you can write once and read forever. I'll try getting some DVD-RW discs. I'll keep you posted on results. Might be a while discs coming by snail mail.

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 11:31:11 PM »

email