Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: How to configure the router after reset in any model  (Read 22898 times)

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
How to configure the router after reset in any model
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:23:59 PM »
Hi,
              Shane, Thanks so much that you are having yet another forum. I am a member of your other forum.
Nowadays, router become the target of attackers. frequently i had to go to the configurer to get the internet access. I suppose, that my router is affected by some thing. When scanned by avast, i get that a vulnerability found and its name is Rom 0. I did not bother about the router as i think it is a secured provided by my ISP. But , frequent internet access issues now force me think otherwise. I have already reconfigured my modem, which is hardware perfect. Every light is glowing.
                   Is there anything general how i could reconfigure the modem by myself. Is the page , gateway page belong to the service provider or could i make changes.
                   I am also getting advice on your other fourm. Thanking you for sharing all that you know

PcWinTech.com Forums

How to configure the router after reset in any model
« on: January 17, 2016, 07:23:59 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: How to configure the router after reset in any model
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 12:30:33 PM »
#1 Do you have a spare/Separate RJ-45 WAN port router?

#2 If so, what is the brand and model of your spare/SeparateRJ-45 WAN port router?

For example:

a) The Motorola SB6141 is my cable modem (Non modem combo).

b) Note where modem combo = modem and router all-in-one.

c) My Separate router is my Linksys E4200 hardware version one and it is behind my modem.

d) I also have a spare Linksys WRT54G hardware version 2, not in use as a spare.

#3 If not to question 1, do you have a spare computer that is not in use that works that either has:

a) Two NICs

b) OR you can add a second NIC into the computer?

For example by a second NIC into the computer I mean a PCI NIC like the TRENDnet - Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter (Model: TE100-PCIWN).
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 07:55:12 PM »
Hi, I have tdsl 300 w2 type 2 wireless modem. It has no separate wifi. It is included in the modem/router.
Today, also i had the internet Red light,  when all including wlan light glow. When it was tested with avast for mobile,  rom 0 vulnerability was informed.
               Now i have frequent internet access problem. Yesterday, the configurer spent atleat 2 hours configuring, by forcing reset button. He has to enter all the router page settings and again save it. It has taken , about 4 unsuccessful attempts before, he could get me the internet access. All the lights are green.
               When wlan light glows, internet light is red. how could it be? There is no switch button for wifi. If you power on modem, you get all lights. I saw the settings, while he was configuring that he has typed entries in internet as well as wireless page of my router.
                   How could i check , in command prompt,  if my modem is defective. If it is known, then i would seek for replacement.
                  I think my dns settings are changed by a virus or trojan. How to get rid of it.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2016, 07:01:49 AM »

a) I point to and quote from DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Networking -> Modem/router(not in bridge mode) + router the reply by DSLR user clarknova (#1713475) on 2013-Sep-18 at 2:13 pm

There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.

b) While I know your ISP might be not Comcast, I found some info that says that modem combos should be put into bridge mode (or use a standalone modem and a standalone router).

#1 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> O Canada! -> Canadian -> Rogers -> [Modem/Router] Can the Rogers WIFI Modem be set to Bridge Mode & turn off WIFI? the reply by DSLR user puzz1ed (#1162591) on 2015-Feb-15 at 2:32 pm

Another reason to run the Rogers modem (DPC3825) in bridge mode is to avoid bufferbloat issues and also to be able to play with QoS in your own router.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28271027-Bufferbloat-long-read

I was having lag issues in a PS3 when Steam was running on another PC both hardwired. Disabling the Rogers router and putting in my basic Netgear WNR2000 router mostly eliminated the problem. After that I could fine-tune with QoS. The DPC3825 wifi is also fairly weak.

#2 From DSLR(dslreports.com) ->Forums -> Broadband Tech ->  Networking -> Between the 2 witch one should I pick???

a) the reply by DSLR user Nightfall (#443491) on 2015-Feb-5 at 11:24 am
I buy a separate router and access point because I like putting my access point in the house in a central location. The router and cable modem sit in the basement in a wiring closet.

b) the reply by DSLR user BlueMist (#1780151) on 2015-Feb-5 at 11:33 am

Another thought comes to mind. If you get a unit with WiFi that the ISP has access to there is a good chance the ISP will turn it into a free hotspot with out asking you. Possibly not right now but give them time...

Check out this link for example. http://www.fastcolabs.com/3039682/comcast-was-sued-for-quietly-making-your-homes-internet-part-of-the-sharing-economy

I believe, as has been shown in the past, your owning the box will not keep them from uploading firmware and permanently locking you out of box's management sections as soon as their system identifies it exists.

#3 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Time Warner Cable -> [Internet] I'm hoping for modem/router advice the reply by DSLR user rchandra (#237843) on 2015-Feb-3 at 8:50 pm

Keep the modem and the router separate; do not procure any of those combined units. This means you retain complete control over the WiFi. One component going down does not affect the other. Needing to swap out your cable modem does not lose the work you put into configuring your WiFi. Upgrading to a new DOCSIS doesn't affect your WiFi, and upgrading WiFi does not affect your cable Internet service. Keeping them separate aids in troubleshooting by separating functions; there's no question about one affecting the other.

For me at least, a WGR614 serves my WiFi needs well. Additionally, I'm just using it as an access point, and my router is a Linux box (happens to be an OptiPlex GX1), so functions are pretty much totally separated.

#4 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Charter Internet/TV -> Does Charter Use A Separate Modem and Router?

a) the reply by DSLR user arbit3r9 (#237843) on 2015-Jan-17 at 1:43 am
IMO All-in-one modem/router are junk period, kinda like those all in one printer/scanner/fax. it doesn't do anyone of the 3 very well, does all 3 ok but not 1 good. Better to be dedicated to 1 job not 2.

b) the reply by DSLR user Dogg (#824865) on 2015-Jan-21 at 12:09 pm
There is nothing "wrong" with combo hardware, when everything is working. The "problem" is when there is an issue and you need to troubleshoot. One of the first steps is to connect a PC directly to the modem to rule out a router issue, which obviously can't be done if you have a combo unit.

#5 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Time Warner Cable -> Suggestions for Cable modem Router Combo

a) the reply by DSLR user maartena (#628714) on 2015-Jan-11 at 6:32 pm

My opinion is to keep the modem and router separate. It makes managing your network a little easier, and your own router you have complete control of the software you put on.

b) the reply by DSLR user unoriginal (#171629) on 2015-Jan-13 at 1:30 am
My thought is to keep them separate because if one part craps out on you then you lose two functions instead of just one. Imagine if you have to send it in for warranty service, what would you use in place of the combo modem/router?

c)  the reply by DSLR user maartena (#628714) on 2015-Jan-13 at 2:55 am
A few good reasons to keep router and modem separate:

- You usually have more features and better wireless on a router, depending on what you buy of course.
- Many routers have 3d party firmwares available that expand on features or unlock features.
- If the modem breaks, you just have to replace the modem: All of your settings such as wireless networks, firewall settings, internal dhcp/ip settings will remain in place.
- If you want to upgrade the modem to get faster speeds: same thing. Just put in a new modem, and go on like nothing has happened.

A few good reasons for a router/modem combo.

- 1 box. Less wires. Less devices. Less space used.
- .... yeah that's about it. :D

and on and on....

----------

#1 Advice

a) Make sure that the WAN port of the RJ-45 WAN port router is connected to the modem combo.

b) Make sure that all of your computers are behind your RJ-45 WAN port router (what ever you get)

c) and put the broadband modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them...

#2 If you have( or had) a spare computer that is not in use that works that either has:

a) Two NICs (and note at least one must be a wired NIC)

b) OR you can add a second NIC into the computer (For example by a second NIC into the computer I mean a PCI NIC like the TRENDnet - Fast Ethernet PCI Adapter (Model: TE100-PCIWN)  )

...then you could covert that spare computer that works into acting a NAT router. As noted / addressed at

http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/118897

#3 If want to use a spare computer as a NAT Router, before putting the modem combo into bridge mode: Be sure to know which NIC is which - as the NIC will not be ( LAN VS the WAN/ Internet / To Modem Port ) labeled!

#4 In your RJ-45 WAN port router, hardware based (example Linksys E4200v1 ) or software based (Examples that are listed at that DSLR news thing posted back on Tuesday Mar 20 2012 at 16:14 EST: m0n0wall, pfSense, Smoothwall, Untangle, and Astaro Security Gateway), forward the ports to your computer.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 10:40:40 PM »
Hi, I do not have spare computer. Your technical reply is welcome, but i do not know many things that intricate details that it has.
                My concerns are two. If Nat router could be vulnerable if you log on to infected ip session. I had similar experience, when i was barred entry in to tweaking.com, by some alert. I had to answer two mathematical sums to get the access.
                 Second, if the actual settings in the router page differs from the Lan settings we make in the adopter when using the use the following access points (instead of auto detect)
                  Thirdly if those access points are different , and if the access is provided, how.
                  Is those numbers stored in the router page, given by ISP in the first instance.
                  How, access was allowed to log on on infected ips by the service provider?
                  If we log in to Open google dns, by their access points , then would it not make any conflict with the dns server provided by the ISP on the router page.would you kindly advise on these things.
                  My modem is of course combo, giving direct access to internet on pc as well as wifi to the enabled devices.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 01:05:32 PM »
It would be better to ask on content server(s) with forum(s)/group(s) that deals with security.

Example(s)

Web based HTTP/HTTPS.

One of them is DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Software and Operating Systems -> Security

NNTP based.

See and follow https://www.grc.com/discussions.htm to connect to news.grc.com

--

While I do not know everything about security (and trade offs), I can provide examples of that..

#1 Goal(s)

a) As noted at http://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-ps4/ and http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-ps3-playstation-3.htm

For Play Station it would be NAT Type 2.

b) As noted at http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-xbox360.htm for the Xbox 360 it would be Xbox LIVE results should be "Connected."

c) As noted at http://portforward.com/networking/static-ip-xbox-one/ for the Xbox One it would be NAT Type Open.

#2 I have read/heard that if someone only has one Non Bogan IP Address the only way to get more than game console having NAT Type 2 / Xbox LIVE results Connected / Open is to use Universal Plug and Play (UPnP).

#3 I have no idea if what I read/heard is true or not about game consoles, getting NAT Type 2 / Xbox LIVE results Connected / Open, and only one non bogan IP Address.

#4 However, be advised:

a) If UPnP is enabled in the router

b) If an user has UPnP turned on, on their computer (Windows) / system (Xbox)

c) If an user has UPnP allowed by their software firewall on their computer.

d) and if an user has an UPnP aware app (for example uTorrent) on their computer.

Then the user could open port(s) in the router without knowing the router's control log-in!

#5 If you find a server that you want to forward for is not UPnP aware, then I point you to

http://www.howtogeek.com/122227/how-to-quickly-forward-ports-on-your-router-from-a-desktop-application/

With info about: UPnP Port Mapper.

#6 If you do not want to use UPnP and you wanted more than one game console having NAT Type 2 / Xbox LIVE results Connected / Open then part of the answer is to get more than one non bogan / Public IP Address.

#7 The above info came from source: The News server news.grc.com, the news group grc.securitynow, the thread upnp appears to be the only solution for multiple gaming consoles, the post by Bart on 5/2/2009 at 3:16 PM EST.

X-URL: http://www.GRC.com/groups/securitynow:14485

Xref: news.grc.com grc.securitynow:14485

X-URL2: http://12078.net/grcnews/article.php?group=grc.securitynow&id=14485

#8 You call it creapy UPnP on LAN, ha - I have heard/read of worse!

a) grc.com -> Services -> Shield's Up -> Press Proceed -> Press GRC's Instant UPnP Exposure Test.

b) Careful. Just because UPnP is disabled on LAN does not mean it is disabled on WAN too.

--

Great / wonderful if your modem combo is in bridge mode and your RJ-45 WAN port router (hardware or software based) is handling the WAN IP, how does one get into the modem combo to see how strong the signal is.

I point to, quote my self, and include the screen shot that I took/provided (DSLR) -> Forums -> O Canada! -> Canadian -> TekSavvy -> Re: [DSL] How to access a Smart SR505n's web-based GUI while in bridge mode

#1 I will repeat what I said in http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r29982420-Accessing-SmartRG-while-in-Bridged-Mode
I know every single method to get into a modem while it is in bridge mode (not configured to handle a WAN IP)

To OP, besides:

a) what [user=Teddy Boom] says.

Summary: NIC gets disconnected from the RJ-45 WAN router, a static IP is setup on that NIC with-in the same subnet as the modem combo and NIC gets re-connected to the modem combo.

b) Just factory reset it & log in normally

c) And - summary: RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN and the modem combo's LAN are not in the same subnet, your computer must have two NICs (one of them must a wired NIC), the NIC that is connected to the modem combo is in the same subnet as the modem combo LAN IP.

#1 As long as you only need access to the router and the modem in bridge mode without disconnecting your computer from the RJ-45 WAN router:

a) Make sure that the RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN and the modem combo's LAN are not in the same subnet.

For example the RJ-45 router's IP LAN 192.168.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0) and your modem combo LAN is 192.168.0.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)

b) Setup a Static WAN IP of the RJ-45 router so that is in the same subnet as the modem combo.

For example the RJ-45 router's LAN 192.168.1.1 (mask 255.255.255.0), your modem combo LAN is 192.168.0.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)., and your RJ-45 router's WAN 192.168.0.1 (mask 255.255.255.0)

c) Be strongly advised as long as the RJ-45 router's WAN IP is set to Static and is in the same subnet as the modem combo and this RJ-45 router is not a Dual WAN port router of any kind (RJ-45 WAN1 and RJ-45 WAN2, RJ-45 WAN and 4G/LTE, RJ-45 WAN and POTS dial-up, ETC..) you (and the computers that are behind this RJ-45 WAN port router) are not going to be able to access the Internet!

d) To get back online, you need to change the WAN setting back to what it was before you made it a Static IP with-in the same subnet as the modem combo.

Possible fix #2 (with access to both and online)

Using third party firmware (either with commands and then rebooting the router OR in the UI option of Route Modem IP field) on the router..

Note by commands and then rebooting the router, I mean - (Third party site) <A HREF="http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Access_To_Modem_Configuration" >dd-wrt.com -> Community -> Wiki -> Tutorials (Basic and advanced configuration tasks for your router) -> Access To Modem Configuration[/url]

By UI option Route Modem IP, I mean with this..

Possible fix #3 (with access to both and online) REF http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26752495-

Primary and secondary router's RJ-45 LAN IP in a different subnet than the modem's LAN IP, secondary router's LAN IP with-in the same subnet as the primary router's LAN IP, secondary router's WAN IP with-in the same subnet as the modem's LAN IP, secondary router's DHCP server disabled, and primary router use a static route in this format..

Subnet IP: (the subnet of your modem)
Mask: (the Subnet Mask of the primary and secondary router on the LAN)
Gateway: (the IP address of the secondary router on the LAN)

All of the options/possible fixes above that I have tested and I know that work, the options below I am not sure of.

Possible fix #4 (with access to both)

If I was on PPPoE, I have heard/read...

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26108772-modem-router-How-to-access-6100G-s-interface-while-connected-

Note: How the OP started the thread.

Short summary since all of the info is not in only post..

RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN and the modem combo's LAN are not in the same subnet, RJ-45 WAN port router has WAN port connected to modem combo: as long as the PPPoE connection is down he/she is able to get into the modem combo.

Possible fix #5 (with access to both and online) The answer to the OP's question without adding more hardware (ex a hub/switch between modem combo and router), without loading DD-WRT/Tomato, without changing to Static IP with-in the same subnet (PC OR Router Level) - the post by [user=wayjac] (user #544732)

Direct Link: http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,26137687

Short summary:

RJ-45 WAN port router's LAN IP with-in same subnet as the modem combo, RJ-45 WAN port of RJ-45 WAN port router connects to one of the free/not in use RJ-45 LAN ports of the RJ-45 WAN port router, and RJ-45 LAN port of modem combo connects to one of the free/not in use RJ-45 LAN ports of the RJ-45 WAN port router.

Note if that works: I would think it works for other connections that require a log-in.

Other examples of types of connections that require a log-in are: PPPoA, PPTP, L2TP, and Big Pond.

All of those examples, but not including PPPoA, are as shown at

http://support.dlink.com/emulators/ebr2310_revB/Basic_WAN.html
#2 Also I heard/read (REF = http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26752495- ) that instead of two NAT routers, a Dual WAN port router will work.

Q: Is that true you ask what I was told?

A: I can not tell you because all of my RJ-45 WAN port NAT routers only have one WAN port.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:24:37 PM by trpted »

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2016, 06:30:22 PM »
Hi, Very kind of you for all the points and link. first of all, i wish to congratulate on your point by point reply.No, my modem is not in bridge mode and i do not know, what if i made any change to configure those in my modem without consent from my service provider., since i do not know much about the settings on those pages.

I will try those links definitely as part of checking and knowing things.
                         I have asked another question in this forum about the router and modem confusion. Are those two are different.
                         Mine connection is , a telephone cable comes to my house, from the outer pole, and it is passed thro a  medium box , with two wire connection, and sockets, one wire goes to telephone and the other is passed thro that box , and two more wires are connected at the other end of that box.I am having one more small box, thro which these two wires are passed thro sockets, and from which one wire is connected to the modem in the back at the provision for it.
                          Is the small box is the router or the medium box is the router or modem is the router. This is confusing, as i do not much about those two boxes and a bit of knowledge about modem.
                         Which of these device, has bearing with the router settings  in the router page. I will be happy to receive

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 03:56:08 AM »
#1 Since you are on DSL, you have something called a NID.

Points to DSLR -> Info -> Verizon Online DSL FAQ -> What is a NID?

Direct URL https://www.dslreports.com/faq/1317

Has pictures of what I am talking about.

#2 Layout so far = NID (one side for ISP/Teleco and the other side for customer) -> tdsl 300 w2 type 2 wireless modem -> Your computer by wires (or) wireless.

#3 Since do not have dry DSL, more than likely you have DSL filters connected to everything else other than the phone lines.

Points to DSLR -> Info -> AT&T Southeast Forum FAQ -> Hardware -> DSL Filters - What are they, why are they needed, and where can I get some?

Direct link https://www.dslreports.com/faq/13365

Points to > Info -> AT&T Midwest/Ameritech FAQ -> Interesting Info -> More than you ever wanted to know about DSL Filters!

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/12010

Both have pictures of what I am talking about. One has a diagram too..

#4 Using logic there has to be phone splitters.

Using Google image search to lookup phone splitter

So a simple layout would be/is:

a) NID -> Spliter

b) From splitter one wire goes to DSL filter and the other wire goes tdsl 300 w2 type 2 wireless modem.

c) The wire that does not go to the tdsl 300 w2 type 2 wireless modem, first goes through a DSL Filter and then goes to your POTS phone/fax machine/dial-up modem.

Offline jraju

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 04:46:40 AM »
Hi, I will definitely see the links information.
             I also note that modem has a kind of box in the outer in my post, small box, which has two sockets on one side and one to the other , which is connecting the modem, Yes you are correct. It is the splitter, one adsl and other telephone. The utility of the splitter is described as follows.
he ADSL Internet phone filter provides respite to the busy college students and the professionals, who often need to have a conversation on their telephones and at the same time, keep themselves occupied in their computer activity. The benefits of this product have urged many interested customers to opt for such an arrangement especially when they are working from home.
                it is called modem box . I mean this splitter
http://www.amazon.in/Internet-Phone-Filter-Splitter-Broadband/dp/B00D88RGUI
Thank you for all the links. I will be immensely benefit from it.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 04:46:40 AM »

email