Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: can't see site with windows computers but iPad okay  (Read 16953 times)

Offline queenidog

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
can't see site with windows computers but iPad okay
« on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:31 AM »
I take a video signal from a security DVR and use Yawcam to put it on my website.  After a Windows 10 upgrade, I couldn't access the link anymore so started dicking around with my router (a Dlink DSR250N), the Avast and Microsoft firewalls, and DYNDNS utilities, all to no avail.  My other computer was also Windows 10 and didn't work and for other reasons I returned it to Windows 7.  I then got an epiphany to try my iPad, communicating to the same router, using wifi.  (My computers are hard-wired Ethernet).  and it worked!
Here's the deal.  My webcams are at http://raiderracing.dyndns-web.com:8081/.  My two desktop computers, the Win7 and Win8 machines cannot access this link "Cannot open page", but my iPad links up right away.  Try it yourself and let me know if you see operating webcams.

I've stopped the firewalls, I've port forwarded ports that were tested open (via the Port Test tool).  I had upnp on and off with port forwarding.  I dicked around with the router firewall as well.  I cannot figure this out.  Oh...when I put in the IP address instead of using DYNDNS, I get the same result: works with the iPad, no work with the two desktops.

The problem has to be in the desktops, do you agree?  Not in the router at all, unless wifi is treated differently than Ethernet?

Also, I can access the webcams on my Intranet (private address 192.168.xx.xxx) from these computers, just not the Internet.

I'd appreciate any help.  It's not a BIG deal at this point because I know the signals are getting to the Internet, but I want to be able to test this from these computers.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 07:48:22 AM by queenidog »

PcWinTech.com Forums

can't see site with windows computers but iPad okay
« on: December 10, 2015, 07:45:31 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: can't see site with windows computers but iPad okay
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2015, 12:28:45 PM »
#1 Let me give to you an example what happens with my router running tomato firmware.

With loop back in my router set to Off, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP: I can't connect to anything. :(

With loop back in my router set to All, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP I can connect to the router's UI as if remote control of the router is turned on.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I have a web server running on TCP port 80: I am able to connect to my web server on port 80.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I do not have a web server running on TCP port 80: I can't connect to anything.

--

#2 Based upon your post, it sounds like in your router has loopback support it is set to Off.

#3 I also have to say that, regarding loop back:

a) Not all routers will allow users to adjust the loop back feature.

b) OR if they let the user adjust the loop back feature, they can only turn it off and on.

#4 To see if your router supports loopback/Reverse NAT

Please see http://www.pcwintech.com/test-for-reverse-nat
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline queenidog

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:10:11 PM »
This makes sense...sort of...  I say that because I had the same setup working for the 2 years I've had this DSR router (I had a DIR-655 before this).  It DID work with this router and these same two computers, although as I said, this current one is Windows 10.  I thought this would be a Windows10 error, but the other machine was reverted to Win7 where this system used to work.  I could bring up my home page, click on the Webcam link tied to the DynDNS service and I could see my webcams, at home, via the internet.
My DSR does not support loopback.

I think I know now why there's a problem.  At the same time I upgraded my computers, I upgraded the router and it was quite a change from 1.x to 2.x, with many, many changes.  One of them was likely the loopback hole!  Worked before doesn't work now.  Case closed.

I could go back to my DIR-655...
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 03:31:25 PM by queenidog »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2015, 03:10:11 PM »

email