Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Setup New Medialink wmn-wapr300n and Lorex Connectivity  (Read 12925 times)

Offline iPlus10

• PcWinTech Full Member
Setup New Medialink wmn-wapr300n and Lorex Connectivity
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:44:06 AM »
I recently purchase a medialink wmn-wapr300n after I struggled with wi-fi and lorex connectivity issues through WOW's Arris modem/router.  I have connected the medialink to the arris and have been unable to connect to lorex.  I assigned a static IP address to the Lorex from within the Medialink and forwarded all the ports as well.  However, I am unable to view the lorex on any network type.  Any idea what I missed?

Thanks!

PcWinTech.com Forums

Setup New Medialink wmn-wapr300n and Lorex Connectivity
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:44:06 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Setup New Medialink wmn-wapr300n and Lorex Connectivity
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2015, 01:03:22 PM »
a) I point to and quote from DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband Tech -> Networking -> Modem/router(not in bridge mode) + router the reply by DSLR user clarknova (#1713475) on 2013-Sep-18 at 2:13 pm

There are some good reasons to have a modem bridge rather than route. I can't speak for all modems, but generally speaking:

1. Modems don't have much memory compared to a good router, so open a few sessions from the LAN and watch as connections get dropped, or worse, the modem/router just locks.

2. Modems tend to lack features compared to a good router. Things like QoS, DHCP reservation, VPN, uPNP, static routes, etc get left out. You can provide your own router behind the modem, as you did, but this can lead to other complications, such as

3. Double NAT. Most things can be made to work with double NAT, just as it's entirely possible to assemble a jigsaw puzzle while wearing oven mitts. It takes longer and the probability of making a mistake while setting it up or troubleshooting goes up. Simplicity is a good rule to live by when setting up networks.

b) While I know your ISP might be not Comcast, I found some info that says that modem combos should be put into bridge mode (or use a standalone modem and a standalone router).

#1 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> O Canada! -> Canadian -> Rogers -> [Modem/Router] Can the Rogers WIFI Modem be set to Bridge Mode & turn off WIFI? the reply by DSLR user puzz1ed (#1162591) on 2015-Feb-15 at 2:32 pm

Another reason to run the Rogers modem (DPC3825) in bridge mode is to avoid bufferbloat issues and also to be able to play with QoS in your own router.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bufferbloat
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r28271027-Bufferbloat-long-read

I was having lag issues in a PS3 when Steam was running on another PC both hardwired. Disabling the Rogers router and putting in my basic Netgear WNR2000 router mostly eliminated the problem. After that I could fine-tune with QoS. The DPC3825 wifi is also fairly weak.

#2 From DSLR(dslreports.com) ->Forums -> Broadband Tech ->  Networking -> Between the 2 witch one should I pick???

a) the reply by DSLR user Nightfall (#443491) on 2015-Feb-5 at 11:24 am
I buy a separate router and access point because I like putting my access point in the house in a central location. The router and cable modem sit in the basement in a wiring closet.

b) the reply by DSLR user BlueMist (#1780151) on 2015-Feb-5 at 11:33 am

Another thought comes to mind. If you get a unit with WiFi that the ISP has access to there is a good chance the ISP will turn it into a free hotspot with out asking you. Possibly not right now but give them time...

Check out this link for example. http://www.fastcolabs.com/3039682/comcast-was-sued-for-quietly-making-your-homes-internet-part-of-the-sharing-economy

I believe, as has been shown in the past, your owning the box will not keep them from uploading firmware and permanently locking you out of box's management sections as soon as their system identifies it exists.

#3 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Time Warner Cable -> [Internet] I'm hoping for modem/router advice the reply by DSLR user rchandra (#237843) on 2015-Feb-3 at 8:50 pm

Keep the modem and the router separate; do not procure any of those combined units. This means you retain complete control over the WiFi. One component going down does not affect the other. Needing to swap out your cable modem does not lose the work you put into configuring your WiFi. Upgrading to a new DOCSIS doesn't affect your WiFi, and upgrading WiFi does not affect your cable Internet service. Keeping them separate aids in troubleshooting by separating functions; there's no question about one affecting the other.

For me at least, a WGR614 serves my WiFi needs well. Additionally, I'm just using it as an access point, and my router is a Linux box (happens to be an OptiPlex GX1), so functions are pretty much totally separated.

#4 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Charter Internet/TV -> Does Charter Use A Separate Modem and Router?

a) the reply by DSLR user arbit3r9 (#237843) on 2015-Jan-17 at 1:43 am
IMO All-in-one modem/router are junk period, kinda like those all in one printer/scanner/fax. it doesn't do anyone of the 3 very well, does all 3 ok but not 1 good. Better to be dedicated to 1 job not 2.

b) the reply by DSLR user Dogg (#824865) on 2015-Jan-21 at 12:09 pm
There is nothing "wrong" with combo hardware, when everything is working. The "problem" is when there is an issue and you need to troubleshoot. One of the first steps is to connect a PC directly to the modem to rule out a router issue, which obviously can't be done if you have a combo unit.

#5 From DSLR(dslreports.com) -> Forums -> US Cable Support -> Time Warner Cable -> Suggestions for Cable modem Router Combo

a) the reply by DSLR user maartena (#628714) on 2015-Jan-11 at 6:32 pm

My opinion is to keep the modem and router separate. It makes managing your network a little easier, and your own router you have complete control of the software you put on.

b) the reply by DSLR user unoriginal (#171629) on 2015-Jan-13 at 1:30 am
My thought is to keep them separate because if one part craps out on you then you lose two functions instead of just one. Imagine if you have to send it in for warranty service, what would you use in place of the combo modem/router?

c)  the reply by DSLR user maartena (#628714) on 2015-Jan-13 at 2:55 am
A few good reasons to keep router and modem separate:

- You usually have more features and better wireless on a router, depending on what you buy of course.
- Many routers have 3d party firmwares available that expand on features or unlock features.
- If the modem breaks, you just have to replace the modem: All of your settings such as wireless networks, firewall settings, internal dhcp/ip settings will remain in place.
- If you want to upgrade the modem to get faster speeds: same thing. Just put in a new modem, and go on like nothing has happened.

A few good reasons for a router/modem combo.

- 1 box. Less wires. Less devices. Less space used.
- .... yeah that's about it. :D

and on and on....

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

#1 Advice

a) Make sure that all of your computers are behind your RJ-45 WAN port router ( medialink wmn-wapr300n )

b) Make sure that the WAN port of the WAN port router is connected to the modem's LAN port.

c) and put the broadband modem combo into bridge mode. As how to get the modem combo into bridge mode, you may need to contact your ISP and get help from them...

d) OR if the ISP does not want to help you put the modem combo into bridge mode, if you are on Cable: Get a cable modem that is not a cable modem combo, that has a web based UI (or Telnet OR ftp or SNMP - that does not require for special program)

By special program, I mean for example For Windows - http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16899 (For Unix/Linux like see http://adslm.dohrenburg.net/linux/linux.php )

For example of a cable modem that is not a cable modem combo, that has a web based UI (or Telnet OR ftp or SNMP) is the Motorola SB6141.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2015, 01:06:51 PM »
#1 I point to and quote part of DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Software and Operating Systems -. All Things Unix -> Windows 10: Another reason to use Linux!

As I stated in that thread I fail to see the point in using this program.

Why? Most routers today have a pretty simple GUI based interface to setup forwarding of ports for programs. And thus this program has NO USE.

IF you KNOW the ports.... Now there is the rub..... but here is also the part where users can learn something(s). Yeah I can rattle off ports/programs for the popular stuff, one cause I use it, and two stupid A+/Network+ ask you to fill out such stuff on their tests.

I would suggest creating a thread in the networking or software forum(S) and posting WHAT SOFTWARE this is, and most can probably tell you which port(S) to open in your router. Most routers have the basics for ftp etc. covered.. For some program I am sure it is just a google search away mostly to find the port(s) needed, or even using uPNP (although that would NOT be my choice, security risk) again simple GUI on/off in most consumer/low end SOHO routers.

Most will probably be glad to tell you the port(S) and post some screen snaps if needed to set this up.

Again I just don't see the purpose or need for this program?!?!?

#2 If you have any questions as how to forward the ports in your RJ-45 WAN port router, please ask.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline iPlus10

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2015, 01:57:47 PM »
I tried Bridging the Arris but that option is greyed out.  I called WOW and they said since I have the whole home DVR service, they are unable to bridge it.  She changed a wireless setting that she said would help but it did not.  Unfortunately, I am not sure what other options I have now  :sad:

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »
#1 While I now know what your ISP is, I point to DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Info -> Verizon Online FiOS FAQ -> Networking:

a) Can I use my own router as primary and keep remote DVR

c) And to: Three router solution - Take 2

Which has the Question and answer to: How can I use my own router as primary while still keeping remote DVR access and Caller-id on my TVs.

-
Note Info used be called FAQ, meaning Frequently asked questions.

#2 If I were you, it would be better ask other people who use Wow ( for example at http://www.dslreports.com/forum/wow OR on some other site ) to verify that the ISP is telling the truth and there is no work arounds like what is address for FIOS.

When asking, you are more welcome to point back to this thread ( URL = http://forums.pcwintech.com/index.php/topic,5853.0.html ) OR quote me.

Speaking of verifying that, using Google ( or another online search engine )  to lookup whole home DVR service wow bridge mode points me to these...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?215069-Anyone-have-cable-service-with-an-Arris-Media-Gateway-whole-home-DVR

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r26981906-Ultra-TV-Gateway-Advanced-Networking-questions

https://portal.calix.com/portal/calixdocs/e-series/sysop/e7/r23/gpon_app/66568.htm

http://tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?p=10707508

At http://mocablog.net/faq/ they talk about the ISP Cox with a whole home DVR.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:26:45 PM by trpted »

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »

email