Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Unable to connect while on home network  (Read 12834 times)

Offline iPlus10

• PcWinTech Full Member
Unable to connect while on home network
« on: November 11, 2015, 05:20:16 AM »
I am unable to connect to Lorex while on my home network.  However, on any other network, I can connect with no issues at all.  I am able to connect via the mobile app and IE. 

Thanks for the help in advance. 

PcWinTech.com Forums

Unable to connect while on home network
« on: November 11, 2015, 05:20:16 AM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Unable to connect while on home network
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2015, 12:05:25 PM »
#1 Let me give to you an example what happens with my router running tomato firmware.

With loop back in my router set to Off, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP: I can't connect to anything. :(

With loop back in my router set to All, if I am behind my router and if I enter in my public IP I can connect to the router's UI as if remote control of the router is turned on.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I have a web server running on TCP port 80: I am able to connect to my web server on port 80.

With loop back in my router set to Forward Only, if I am behind my router, if I enter in my public IP and I do not have a web server running on TCP port 80: I can't connect to anything.

--

#2 Based upon your post, it sounds like in your router has loopback support it is set to Off.

#3 I also have to say that, regarding loop back:

a) Not all routers will allow users to adjust the loop back feature.

b) OR if they let the user adjust the loop back feature, they can only turn it off and on.

#4 To see if your router supports loopback/Reverse NAT

Please see http://www.pcwintech.com/test-for-reverse-nat
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline JackoD

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 04:12:49 PM »
I am unable to connect to Lorex while on my home network.  However, on any other network, I can connect with no issues at all.  I am able to connect via the mobile app and IE. 

Thanks for the help in advance.

Can you 'ping' the IP address of the Lorex?  At home, are you attempting to connect using an IP address on the same subnet - '192.168.x.x' ?
Check out the Lorex Help Forum at: http://lorexhelpforum.com/

Offline iPlus10

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 09:30:45 AM »
Greetings!  The lorex DVR and the router both have the same IP address.  I am not sure how this is happening.  When I set the Lorex to DHCP, it is automatically assigned the same IP Address as the modem's LAN IP address. 

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 12:09:26 PM »
#1 I find that hard to believe.

a) Please take and show a screen shot from the Lorex.

AND OR

b) Re-view the settings.

For example

IP Address: 192.168.0.100
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1
and at least one DNS Server: 192.168.0.1
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline iPlus10

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 05:47:00 PM »
I found my mistake.  In Fixed DHCP Clients, I had assigned the Lorex DVR the same IP address as the LAN by accident.  I switched it to a new unique IP Address and was sure to put its MAC Address in there as well.  When I rebooted the Lorex, it was indeed assigned the new unique IP Address.  However, I am still unable to view the cameras on my wifi network but can do so when I turn wifi off. 

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2015, 03:46:26 AM »
Ok, getting somewhere :)

That to me sounds

#1 like Wireless AP Isolation is on

OR

#2 you are not just on a wireless network - you are on a guest wireless network.

Please note these two above assume that you turned on/off wireless in the router's UI.

OR

#3 if you turned on/off wireless on your computer/laptop, this means that you are not just on a wireless network - but perhaps you are not your own wireless network??

Offline iPlus10

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2015, 07:15:48 AM »
Glad to hear we are making progress!   :artist:

I did setup the wireless network myself and can tell you for sure that I am not on a guest network.  In fact, my modem does not have a Guest feature on it.  It's a secured Wi-Fi connection that I setup and connected to.  However, I will have to double check to see if AP Isolation is a feature that is on there and if it is in fact activated.  I will update you soon!

Offline iPlus10

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2015, 10:05:47 AM »
Quick update, I just checked and AP Isolation is NOT enabled.  This is so frustrating!!  :angry:

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2015, 07:24:10 AM »
#1 One last thing that I can tell you what to check.

The VLAN feature and how it is setup.

#2 If that is not it, I am out of ideas to check.

Which means, as to do next:

a) Wait here and get help from some one else who knows more than I do

AND OR

b) Go else where and get help from some one else who knows more than I do.

For example, you can go ask the people over at DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Broadband and Networking -> Networking.

Besides what you posted here, also tell them them at least the brand and model of your router.

While there are member restricted areas on that site, that area does not require that you are a member to post.

As how I know this: While I am member my self, time to time I have posted while not logged in, in that area.. ;)

Offline iPlus10

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2015, 09:13:25 AM »
When I am opening up the ports, do I set it to TCP, UDP or Both?  Right now they are set to both.  Not sure if that would be causing the issue?

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »
When I am opening up the ports, do I set it to TCP, UDP or Both?  Right now they are set to both.  Not sure if that would be causing the issue?

That affects users from the outside and loopback/Reverse NAT only.

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2015, 06:06:18 PM »