Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Remote Access Trouble with Stratus and DDNS  (Read 18203 times)

Offline familyman

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
Remote Access Trouble with Stratus and DDNS
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:05:35 AM »
I've been using a LH158000 ECO4 system to monitor a distant vacation home since summer 2014. A Lorex tech at the time assisted me with setting up the Stratus client application onto two of my Windows PC's. I typically keep the application running all day long and at times it has worked fine, then will randomly lose connectivity and even after restarting the application many times I won't be able to re-connect until days later. I know for a fact that when Stratus does fail to connect, my internet connectivity at the house is fine as I can still connect to my router and two Foscam IP cameras. My broadband (cable) internet connection speed at the house is 15 down, 2 up.

Out of frustration, I attempted to utilize the DDNS connection in the hopes that it would connect more reliably. Using my browser, I am able to get to the blue DVR login screen using both my Lorex DDNS URL as well as my NOIP.com DDNS URL. However, I cannot get past the login screen and get the vague 'network connection failed' message. I am certain that I am entering the exact same user ID and password that works fine with Stratus (when it is working) and have even created a brand new user ID on the DVR but that does not work either.  As far as technical parameters, the DVR firmware screen indicates that I am running the latest version. My client port is set to 9000, http port is 1050 which I am port-forwarding on my Linksys router. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:53:10 AM by familyman »

PcWinTech.com Forums

Remote Access Trouble with Stratus and DDNS
« on: October 30, 2015, 04:05:35 AM »

Offline JackoD

• PcWinTech Member
Re: Remote Access Trouble with Stratus and DDNS
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 09:54:48 AM »
Hello!

Do you have anything installed at the vacation home such as TeamViewer (https://www.teamviewer.com) ?  Teamviewer is a free remote desktop app. Install it on a PC on the vacation homes local network. That way, you could remote into the PC and test if you can access your DVR locally (on the same LAN).

Have you tried using a command prompt and 'pinging' the address of the DVR when it is down? Even if you see the login page, you could be seeing a  locally 'cached' version of the page and the DVR connection is actually down. Ping it next time and see what happens.

Good luck!

I've been using a LH158000 ECO4 system to monitor a distant vacation home since summer 2014. A Lorex tech at the time assisted me with setting up the Stratus client application onto two of my Windows PC's. I typically keep the application running all day long and at times it has worked fine, then will randomly lose connectivity and even after restarting the application many times I won't be able to re-connect until days later. I know for a fact that when Stratus does fail to connect, my internet connectivity at the house is fine as I can still connect to my router and two Foscam IP cameras. My broadband (cable) internet connection speed at the house is 15 down, 2 up.

Out of frustration, I attempted to utilize the DDNS connection in the hopes that it would connect more reliably. Using my browser, I am able to get to the blue DVR login screen using both my Lorex DDNS URL as well as my NOIP.com DDNS URL. However, I cannot get past the login screen and get the vague 'network connection failed' message. I am certain that I am entering the exact same user ID and password that works fine with Stratus (when it is working) and have even created a brand new user ID on the DVR but that does not work either.  As far as technical parameters, the DVR firmware screen indicates that I am running the latest version. My client port is set to 9000, http port is 1050 which I am port-forwarding on my Linksys router. Any thoughts?

Thank you in advance.
Check out the Lorex Help Forum at: http://lorexhelpforum.com/

Offline familyman

• PcWinTech Jr. Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 10:04:42 AM »
Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I just recently learned of Teamviewer, and may need to resort to leaving an extra PC running with it on at my vacation home as a backup plan if I can't get this working reliably.

As far as pinging the DVR, I'm not aware of how you would do that remotely. However, I will mention that even while Stratus is down, the DVR regularly sends me the motion image emails so I know it is running to some degree. Also, just last night Stratus was working OK and I was able to get to the Login screen using the browser, just could not get past that. I was sure to log off of Stratus and close it first, to ensure I am only attempting to log once into the DVR but that did not make any difference.

Offline JackoD

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »
Here is a guide to 'pinging'.

http://www.wikihow.com/Ping-an-IP-Address

You basically open a CMD window, type ping 'whateveryouycameraaddressis.com'  and if your DVR is online you will see network ping replies from your DVR. Then you know that at least the DVR is online.

Teamviewer has a 'wake on LAN' feature that means that you can 'wake' up a PC remotely. So the PC does not have to be 'ON' all the time.

Next time you have issues -try pinging first. You can practice by pinging google.com - you will see replies if your doing it correctly.

:)

Hi,

Thank you for your feedback. I just recently learned of Teamviewer, and may need to resort to leaving an extra PC running with it on at my vacation home as a backup plan if I can't get this working reliably.

As far as pinging the DVR, I'm not aware of how you would do that remotely. However, I will mention that even while Stratus is down, the DVR regularly sends me the motion image emails so I know it is running to some degree. Also, just last night Stratus was working OK and I was able to get to the Login screen using the browser, just could not get past that. I was sure to log off of Stratus and close it first, to ensure I am only attempting to log once into the DVR but that did not make any difference.
Check out the Lorex Help Forum at: http://lorexhelpforum.com/

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2015, 10:11:17 AM »