Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Server? or Servering a server? Im am lost  (Read 17001 times)

Offline Euro-Mex_92

• PcWinTech Full Member
Server? or Servering a server? Im am lost
« on: September 09, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »
Hello, Shane long time no talk bud I had a couple of questions towards the whole term of servers and computing.

I recently graduated from college and gaming has always been a hobby to me ever since I was a kid. Well fast forward over the years and In 2010 I got introduced to minecraft, I am pretty sure you might know what game I am talking about. Well long story short, In 2012 I started to learn how to create a minecraft server because I love the whole minecraft game. Unfortunately, I wasn't a big success due to budget issues with school and time. So from 2012 to 2014 I was  hosting the server. later that year I closed down because people complained about lag and what not, SO I crossed by the idea of a "server host company" but they are ridiculously overpriced with 15$ for 1.5 GB of ram per month. I did my math and all I am doing is making that company richer and I wasn't going to able to have those server needs. I graduated like I mentioned and I am economically stabled now and I have all the time in the world, but what hardware do I need to host my own server as me hosting it and not a desktop or server cost company???
Tech wiz  , and a gamer by heart !!

g a m e [press-start] g a m e

-Eno

PcWinTech.com Forums

Server? or Servering a server? Im am lost
« on: September 09, 2015, 09:57:32 PM »

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
Re: Server? or Servering a server? Im am lost
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2015, 04:06:11 AM »
As far as I know. While Shane host some servers, he does not host any game servers or even play on any game servers.

I guess it would be better to ask people who play this game, regardless if they also host their own server or not.

While I do not play this game either, perhaps this/these will help

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Tutorials/Setting_up_a_server

http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Custom_server_list
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:08:39 AM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2015, 04:07:06 AM »
You would need to look at what specs the game needs, but most importantly is you need to have the bandwidth to handle it. A lot of ISP's dont give much upload speed. While charter, an ISP here, gives 100 MB download speeds they only give 7MB upload, which is the bare minimum to make sure you get your 100mb down.

So when you are hosting you have to send the data to all the users, one user connects and while your server is uploading to him it sucks the entire upload speed and now every one else lags.

For hosting companies they don't have this problem and have the bandwidth to handle it.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline Euro-Mex_92

• PcWinTech Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »
Well I understand what you mean trpted . But I always find a solution with you guys cause you guys are epic  :artist:  okay this is what I found regarding a server requirements: http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Server/Requirements/Dedicated

And this is client side requirements:
"RAM: 2GB. GPU (Integrated): Intel HD Graphics or AMD (formerly ATI) Radeon HD Graphics with OpenGL 2.1. GPU (Discrete): Nvidia GeForce 9600 GT or AMD Radeon HD 2400 with OpenGL 3.1. HDD: At least 200MB for Game Core and Other Files."

Tech wiz  , and a gamer by heart !!

g a m e [press-start] g a m e

-Eno

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2015, 09:37:36 AM »