Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Lorex auto port forwarding problem  (Read 13694 times)

Offline sfisher01

• PcWinTech Member
Lorex auto port forwarding problem
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »
Hello every one. I'm new here but here is what I'm running up against.

While running the auto port forwarding program I can pass the "update router", no problem but when trying to enter my LH120 IP address there are only room for 9 digits, this counting (dot)s or periods. The IP address for the DVR is 15 digits.

I'm using an ActionTech 1000 router with the DVR already connected to my network. Easily using Lorex Client  but just can't get this port forward thing taken care of.

Do you have any thoughts or need more information.

Your help would be appreciated.
Sfisher

PcWinTech.com Forums

Lorex auto port forwarding problem
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:35:21 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Lorex auto port forwarding problem
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 09:16:02 PM »
Where are you entering the IP? Can you post a screen shot so I can see what you are seeing?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline sfisher01

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 06:00:29 AM »
Thanks for the reply. While running Lorex Port Forwarding I get to this screen and find right near the center it says "Lorex product information". Next to it is *Lorex product IP. It is now populated with 192.168.0 and will not allow my DVR IP which is 192.168.000.026.

Tried updating software to the latest version and still same results. I believe the word we use to use is that the field is truncated and will not allow all the information to be entered.

Thanks again in advance for any help you might shed on this for me.

Steve

Offline sfisher01

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 06:21:55 AM »
Shane:

Perhaps a little more zoom would help.

Steve

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 12:40:35 PM »
-- Issue one a typo detected! --

#1 The router's LAN IP is 192.168.0.1 and yet in the app, you are trying to forward to 119.168.0

#2 I am sorry but 119.168.0 is not valid IPv4 Address.

IPv4 Address(es) consist of four octets with dots between them

#3 As well as I am sorry but LAN IPv4 Addresses (RFC 1918)- that you can use are only:

a) From 10.0.0.0 to 10.255.555.255 (10.0.0.0/8)

b) From to 172.16.0.0 to 172.31.255.255 (172.16.0.0/12)

c) From to 192.168.0.0 to 192.168.255.255 (192.168.0.0/16)

--
Note where RFC = Request for Comments

Also as addressed on https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_network

In April 2012, IANA allocated 100.64.0.0/10 for use in carrier grade NAT scenarios in RFC 6598. This address block should not be used either on private networks or on the public Internet: it is intended only for use within the internal operations of carrier networks.

From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reserved_IP_addresses

100.64.0.0/10 = From 100.64.0.0 to 100.127.255.255

-- Issue two --

Since you are NATTED and those type of IP Address(es) are safe to show, please show the full LAN IPv4 Address that you are trying to forward to.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:43:57 PM by trpted »
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline sfisher01

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 06:12:25 PM »
Thank you for the reply again.

Yes that was a typo and I do know better. I'm sure I did it when piddling around this morning trying to get a screen shot.

The problem remains that I cannot put the Lorex DVR IP address in the box that is highlighted in blue. (see attached) That IP address is 192.168.000.026 That fits the parameters you set out correct?

It simply will not allow more than 192.168.0 to be entered. 

Am I making sense? I do appreciate your efforts.

Thanks again.
Steve Fisher

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2015, 12:38:41 PM »
Ok as to why not allowed to type in 192.168.000.026 (as anything 0 is just 0), but odd that you can only type in three octets (192.168.0).

I will have to see what Shane (or some other helper) has to say, as to how to get that fixed.
Private messages (PM) are not for support questions or for hints to not yet answered topics. The PMs are basically for confident conversation between the users, off the forum.

Offline sfisher01

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2015, 01:38:15 PM »
Thank you again.

While I don't consider myself a pro by any stretch, I do know that 119. anything won't work.

You now clearly see my problem. The field where highlighted will only allow three octets. The word "octets" is new to me. I will remember that one.

I appreciate your help.

Offline trpted

• PcWinTech Guru
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2015, 09:47:48 AM »
I gave Shane plenty of time to reply to this thread on this issue, since he has not I give to you my two cents.

I point to and quote part of DSLR (dslreports.com) -> Forums -> Software and Operating Systems -. All Things Unix -> Windows 10: Another reason to use Linux!

As I stated in that thread I fail to see the point in using this program.

Why? Most routers today have a pretty simple GUI based interface to setup forwarding of ports for programs. And thus this program has NO USE.

IF you KNOW the ports.... Now there is the rub..... but here is also the part where users can learn something(s). Yeah I can rattle off ports/programs for the popular stuff, one cause I use it, and two stupid A+/Network+ ask you to fill out such stuff on their tests.

I would suggest creating a thread in the networking or software forum(S) and posting WHAT SOFTWARE this is, and most can probably tell you which port(S) to open in your router. Most routers have the basics for ftp etc. covered.. For some program I am sure it is just a google search away mostly to find the port(s) needed, or even using uPNP (although that would NOT be my choice, security risk) again simple GUI on/off in most consumer/low end SOHO routers.

Most will probably be glad to tell you the port(S) and post some screen snaps if needed to set this up.

Again I just don't see the purpose or need for this program?!?!?

b) Thinking about what I was told, that is not just for simpleportforwarding.com but also for this PF program. :(

#2 If you have not solved your issue yet, stop using that program and forward manually in the router's UI.

Offline JackoD

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2015, 04:06:25 PM »
Here is a tutorial on port forwarding for your router.  Good luck!  :)

http://internethelp.centurylink.com/internethelp/modem-q1000-adv-port-forwarding.html
Check out the Lorex Help Forum at: http://lorexhelpforum.com/

Offline sfisher01

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2015, 04:31:51 PM »
Thanks for the link. Unfortunately my DVR hard drive failed on Sept 26, which is about a week before the one year warranty expires.  I opened a ticket with Lorex and got a RMA but no instructions on how or where to return it.  I called again and got a fellow from India (I assume based on his accent) who told me I would get a call. I got a message on my voice mail "if you have sent the dvr in please email the proof of purchase" "If you have not sent it in do it now and send a proof of purchase". I followed up October 2nd to find out where to send it and where to send the proof of purchase and no contact from Lorex still. I have purchased a new DVR and was able to get the port forwarding taken care of..  It is now October 15 and there are still two open tickets with Lorex. In my opinion Lorex SUCKS but thanks for offering your help.

Offline JackoD

• PcWinTech Member
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 08:38:52 AM »
Sorry to hear that sfisher. What brand DVR did you replace it with?

I bought from costco so if mine goes belly-up, costco is getting it back.  :)
Check out the Lorex Help Forum at: http://lorexhelpforum.com/

PcWinTech.com Forums

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 08:38:52 AM »