Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: Windows 7 updates slow down PC  (Read 12826 times)

Offline realemotion16

• PcWinTech Member
    • Amway
Windows 7 updates slow down PC
« on: August 05, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »
Hi there.
I have recently upgraded my Dell Inspiron 530 desktop from a Windows Vista to a Windows 7 Home Premium. It started off running okay until today, update after update would install. One installation update would freeze, so I used command prompt to create a new SoftwareDistribution folder but the updates were still slowing down the PC's performance a great deal (ex. took 5 min. for Firefox to appear, took around 3 min. to rename a file). I ran system restore through Safe Mode pretty much back to the day Windows 7 installed. Updates are downloading again (Windows 7 Service Pack 1, Malicious Software Removal Tool, security update, etc.) Is the same problem likely to occur again or what necessary steps should I take from here? Thank you for any assistance anyone can offer. Would be appreciated beyond words.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Windows 7 updates slow down PC
« on: August 05, 2015, 06:05:37 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Re: Windows 7 updates slow down PC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »
The problem is the trustedinstaller using an insane amount of memory while doing the updates. This is causing the page file ont he hard drive to be used and so the whole system goes down to a crawl.

I would let the updates all finish with everything closed and make sure to have my cleanmem program installed to keep the memory under control. Then once all the updates are done and installed you should be better off.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

Re: Windows 7 updates slow down PC
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:37:39 PM »

email