Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: How can I sync up bandwidth reports?  (Read 84094 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Dialing Out
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 03:08:52 AM »
We finally figured out how to prevent LimeWire from allowing other people getting songs from our system and so far (8 days) I have not seen a day where 'sent' was greater than 'rcvd'. So staying off WinAmp fixed 'recvd' and stopping uploads from LimeWire seems to have fixed 'sent'. I'm curious about the 'dialing out'. In my 'Lan Settings' I have 'never dial out' checked, should that take care of the 'dialing out' concern?

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

Dialing Out
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 03:08:52 AM »

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Never dial out is a setting
« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2009, 06:07:10 AM »
Never dial out is a setting for your modem.  If you have a high speed connection it isn't an issue.  That setting is to prevent your modem from dialing (using your telephone line)out.  A virus or updates could start that and if it dialed a long distance number you could be in trouble.

If you are not on a dial up connection then it isn't an issue but it doesn't hurt to leave it set to off.

Great to hear that you've resolved your usage issues!  Sorry to hear that you have scale down some on the programs, but it's better than being cut off or being charged extra.  One thing you might notice is that if you don't share on the peer to peer sites then you usually are cut back on your download times, since you aren't sharing.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Stopping that sharing was
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 04:07:53 AM »
Stopping that sharing was what really put an end to the "sent" data problem. The only remaining issue is with the "hovering". That still occassionally will give what I know is an erroneous reading (driving my wife crazy).

I'm getting ready to go see if there is a forum for disk related issues. If there is then I hope to see you there. You and Shane have been an enormous help.

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Glad we could help! That's
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 06:07:35 AM »
Glad we could help!  That's what we are here for.

By "hovering" do you mean a constant whirring sound from your hard drive?  Cause I know I can help you out with that stuff!!

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
LOL
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2009, 09:43:32 AM »
No, I'm referring to the action of positioning the mouse over something in the (system tray?), in this case the little symbol for the CSS Monitor. If you hover (tell me a better word) over the sysmbol it will give you neat information; like sent and recd data. It's distressing to my wife because she believes it and watches it constantly (relative term) to make sure she is not going to exceed the FAP limit.

I think Shane is investigating this because sometimes (around midnight) it goes beserk occassionally (sp? looks like too many of some letter). I mean really wacky (like jumping from around 200 MB to over 800 MB).

Mac

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Hovering = Mouse Over
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2009, 09:58:34 AM »
Mouse over is the only other term you could really use.  That was my fault, lol.  Your wife might want to develop a different habit until Shane can resolve your particular issue.

I've never relied on any practice of this sort (monitoring bandwidth) since I'm lucky enough to not have a cap.

My bad about getting confused...I had only been awake for about 30 minutes and I didn't take a look at your other post about the hard drive, so I tried to apply it to a hard drive...whoops.

For the time being just use a couple different monitors and play it safe.  With you pinpointing LimeWire I'm confident that it won't be near as much of an issue.

-Evan

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
mac did you ever get my email
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2009, 09:59:48 AM »
mac did you ever get my email a while back that I replied to about the report?

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Shane, yes I got the EMail. I
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2009, 01:33:07 AM »
Shane, yes I got the EMail. I glanced at the code -- nothing jumped out me. Some additional food for thought. It appears that all during the day she sees just a normal progression until close to midnight, then it will jump from say 2XX MB to 8XX MB (usually only the 'sent'. This condition (8XX MB) will remain for a few minutes after midnight at which time she sees it drop to something more like normal. I have NEVER seen this in the reports. I only see what Im would consider 'normal' useage.

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Well mac I have some good
« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2009, 01:49:06 AM »
Well mac I have some good news. Evan and I have been talking and im going to be making a pro version of Simple Port Forwarding. I will have more details on that later. But one of the new features is going to be a bandwidth monitor built in. But I am totally redoing it than how it is in cs fire monitor. Im working on some code right now that lets the bandwidth monitor actually monitor which ports the bandwidth is going through.

This opens up a LOT of options. Such as monitoring a certain program, or a certain range of ports, or all ports. And thus giving a total amount of bandwidth per port. Helping people locate the bandwidth hogs!

The idea behind the pro version right now is the program as it is at this point (simple port forwarding) will always remain free. The pro version will simply be some extra features that are optional. We are thinking of doing the pro version for around $10. This is all still in the works and I am fine tuning things as I go. We just started this. But if you would be willing to help test the new bandwidth monitor once I have it done I will make sure you get the pro version free :-)

I think your going to like the bandwidth monitor. LOL

-Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Free? Oh Yeah!!
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2009, 08:01:25 AM »
Shane, you are talking my language. When somebody says 'free' you'll usually find me pretty close to the head of the line. I would be more than happy to test for you. I typically keep pretty good notes for something like that (tested a little of the shuttle software in days gone by) and would report on a fairly regular basis. If it has a 'mouse over function' I can guarantee that my wife will wear it out.

So bring it on.

Could you or Evan please look at my last reply to the DVD disk read error problem we've been working on?

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Great, from the sound of
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2009, 09:39:36 AM »
Great, from the sound of things you will be a perfect tester of the bandwidth monitor.
I'm using packets instead of the windows api to watch it, which gives me a lot more control. And should be a better monitor than cs fire monitor

When I have it ready I will email you the first test code of it. With the new baby due in a week it might be a couple of weeks before I have it ready.

Also the pro version of simple port forwarding that is coming out is going to be pretty cheap anyways, but there is no reason not to give free copies to people who help out :-)

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
None of my business.
« Reply #41 on: May 07, 2009, 12:44:50 AM »
Shane, just a matter of curiosity. Is this your first child? We have four and they are completely different from each other. All a joy but very trying to your peace of mind. If this is not your first then you know what to look forward to as they age -- especially the teen years (our oldest just turned 39). If this is the first for you then congratulations and good luck.

Mac

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Something went South.
« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2009, 03:49:13 AM »
Shane -- Yesterday after a reboot we lost the mouse over portion of Monitor. Today I unistalled it and then reinstalled it -- no help. In the mouse over all we see is the IP address and avail. memory and the CSS Monitor version.

How can I fix this?

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
odd, in cs fire monitor go to
« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2009, 09:39:13 AM »
odd, in cs fire monitor go to setting and then sytray settings. it lets you control what is shown in the mouse over.

Oh also I have some concept test code of the new bandwidth monitor. Im just getting logging and some other things together before I get it ready for you to test.

Im writing this sitting in the hospital. My wife and I had our baby girl yesterday (Kid # 4 lol) :-)
I woke up and im checking all my email and the site :-)

Hoping to be home tomorrow. Im taking my 6 & 4 year old to see star trek movie today, after that I brought the bandwidth monitor code to work on while the baby and my wife sleep.

Im a workaholic or what? lol
-Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Congratulations!!!!
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »
That is great news. Hopefully everyone will do fine and go home soon. Yes, you would certainly be in the running for the "Workaholics Man Of The Year" award. I understand that last years winner won by a squeaker (passed the front runner by working Christmas Eve and Day as well as New Years Eve). Judges still said it was a close call since some of the work was done at his place of work instead of at home.

CSS Monitor -- dunno -- I checked bandwidth on the main options and I checked mini monitors -- didn't still get what I wanted. What I wanted was version, memory, sent, and recvd. What I get is version, and memory.

For the code testing -- will it be ok if I use this newly acquired laptop with XP Professional on it? That way I can do testing during the day plus if (Heaven forbid) I do something to the system that requires a lengthy recovery I won't impact my wife on the other system.

Please try not to create something that will not destroy anything; as of right now I have no way on either system to do a full blown restore from scratch.

Congratulations again, take care of them all.

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

Congratulations!!!!
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »

email