Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: How can I sync up bandwidth reports?  (Read 82237 times)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Use the contact and no router
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 06:49:27 AM »
Mac,

You're right about the contact.  I didn't realize it was a form.  You can however send the form in and choose to send the e-mail to yourself and then you'll also have the address it was sent to.  Or Shane will see this in a few hours and just tell you what it is.

I'm curious as to why WinAmp is using up your bandwidth (is your wife streaming media or downloading or something else?).  Given that you don't actually need a limiter now you might still find the apps useful because you can see how much data is moving in several ways and also see how much each app is using (similar to how Task Manager will show CPU usage).

If you are only using 1 computer you don't really need a router (unless you want to do some port forwarding) since the main purpose of a router is to route a network of devices and provice a gateway to your internet connection.  Basically so you can share one IP address for multiple devices without you ISP (Internet Service Provider) charging you for multiple "lines".

The router does add an extra layer of protection but remember: the more devices your data has to actually go through the long it takes to happen.  Each device has to break pieace all the data together and break it apart again and send it in pieces again.  You might be able to justify a router but you could probably do without for now too.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

PcWinTech.com Forums

Use the contact and no router
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2009, 06:49:27 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
Morning!
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2009, 07:37:00 AM »
Morning Mac. I dont post my email do to spam. but it is shane at this website :-)

get that file to me and I will take a look for ya.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Evan, the NetLimeter sounded
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 07:42:06 AM »
Evan, the NetLimeter sounded very attractive to me (data broken up by application). So I went to the site and was going to download it. Bummer --- I'm sorry but I have to ask a REALLY dumb question. Is my CPU 32 bit or 64 bit and how do I tell? What I get from the 'systemm info' is it is an X86 based PC.

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
x86 is 32 bit, it's confusing
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2009, 08:57:41 AM »
x86 is 32 bit, it's confusing but consistant.  It isn't a dumb question at all.  Up until a year or two ago a home user wouldn't see any apps that were 64 bit so you wouldn't need to know.  It's kinda like how you have to think about HD TV now, a few years ago you didn't think about it.  One of the only places you would see 64 bit were data center servers with very large databases.

Remember with NetLimiter you can only get the benefit of controlling application bandwidth if you buy the "Lite" version.  The free version will still let you see what's going on.  Give it a try and see what you think and please provide feedback on your experience.  I'd like to know if you find it useful or not.

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Thanks, I'll try to get it
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2009, 02:32:36 AM »
Thanks, I'll try to get it downloaded today - may not install 'til Monday. It sounds like the free version is all I need. I just want to see where the data is going/coming to/from to try to figure out if I have become a zombie. Sometimes the report is showing amounts that I can't account for.

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
NetLimeter Installed.
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2009, 09:46:10 AM »
So I got NetLimiter installed and I'm still trying to figure out how to get the reports the way I want them but it does appear to track traffic by application. Haven't come to any conclusions yet other than WinAmp is a real gobbler (seems pretty obvious that it would be since it is having to ship a lot of data for each and every song).

For now she doesn't run WinAmp when we are on the satellite (which is as seldom as possible since it much slower than DSL).

It seems that we go through a lot of bandwidth with just our everyday kind of stuff (poker and Ebay and she does shopping around for pictures).

Shane, there appears to be a disconnect between what we see if we just hover over the CSS logo in the (system tray?) and the actual report. She reported that when she went to bed last night the indication was over 800MB received. Yet when I look at the report I see less that 300MB. Am I doing something wrong?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
don't forget it resets every
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2009, 09:57:44 AM »
don't forget it resets every day. The tooltip text (when you put your mouse over the icon) is pulled from the list itself. SO what ever the list reads it reads.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Mac, did you try NetMeter?
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2009, 11:54:30 AM »
Mac, did you try NetMeter?  It does a great job of showing reports (overall).  NetLimiter does a better job of showing the bandwidth of each app.  I'd suggest using both to get a better idea of whats going on.  If you don't like either one you can always uninstall.

-Evan

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
NetMeter does a great job of
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2009, 12:01:15 PM »
NetMeter does a great job of keeping reports for daily, monthly, etc... use.  I believe NetLimiter does also, but it is a little harder to find and not as good looking as NetMeter's.

If you still need the bandwidth issue resolved better then I'm going to help you see this through to the end.  It seems that you've got it worked out for the most part but I'm wondering why WinAmp was using up so much bandwidth?  Is there a difference in how the bandwidth get used on DSL vs Satelite?

-Evan

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Shane, I didn't forget. My
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2009, 06:10:41 AM »
Shane, I didn't forget. My wife stays up very late (usually until a litle after midnight) and I get up sometime between 2 and 3 (no alarm, just get up early). My wife (out of fear of the dreaded FAP does a LOT of hovering over CSS, on satellite or DSL). She left me a note stating that received was over 800 MB at around 2345. I looked at the report that day (now the previous day), and the report showed nothing anywhere near that. Your report is very good since it shows all previous days. Could it be that the hovering code reaches a point where it kind of goes whacko (nice technical term there)? I am going to post a small portion of the report so you can see an example of another question (why do I sometimes see more than one entry for a day?).

Evan, I didn't get NetMeter. I'll go get it as soon as I can. It won't be today since I'm on satellite and need to keep bandwidth low. DSL always has problems when we have bad weather so we are forced to use satellite. As far as I know DSL doesn't have a FAP, so we don't worry about bandwidth usage when on DSL (but worrywart wife watches it anyway). I am watching because I have concerns of why our sent data is really/really BIG sometimes but not others. Where we go and what we do doesn't really vary all that much from one day to the next.

Shane, this one shows the double entries for a day.

04/11/2009   25.671 MB   65.628 MB   Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport   
04/11/2009   204.589 MB   146.559 MB

And this one shows why I am concerned about sent data.

04/10/2009   219.509 MB   123.526 MB

Shane, sometimes CSS will pop up and tell me my IP has changed. How and why would the IP change?

Well that should give you guys something to mull over. I sure appreciate yawll (Texican for You ALL) taking the time to help me with these incomprehensible (to me) things. When we get these out of the way then I'll start bugging you about two modems and routers. I have the first one but not the second one.

Mac

Update (she just woke up). Last night the same thing occurred (sp?). Recvd data suddenly jumped from 2xx MB to 8xx MB sometime between 2300 and 2345 and of course was back to normal at 0015. Plus at 2345 (approx.) sent and recvd were running neck and neck. What I have in the report is:

04/18/2009   89.231 MB   227.567 MB   Intel(R) PRO/100 VE Network Connection - Packet Scheduler Miniport   
04/19/2009   20.028 MB   89.524 MB

The report pretty much matches what she saw at around 2300 but doesn't show the inflated reading she saw later.

So, what ya thin'?

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Mac, we're happy to help
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2009, 09:06:18 AM »
Mac, we're happy to help ya'll's (That's "you all's", round these here parts...Alabama) problems. Trust me, I know southern slang.  :)

Helping others is why Shane made the site and why I'm helping out.

There are a couple of things you can check that might help you figure out what's going on with the late night usage jump.  You can look at the "event monitor" that you can find under the Administrative Tools of the Control Panel (from the start menu).  You can try looking at the events (they can be confusing...but you might be able to find something useful) and see if anything "pops out". (I know of a tool that will literally track everything.  It's free but probably overkill and you'd have to send me the report and I'd have to mull through 10s of thousands of events...but if it gets to that we can go there.)

A concern that I have is that you might have some sort of malware or a trojan virus that is "dialing out" at the late hour (if I'm understanding everything correctly).  Have you run any thorough scans recently?  You'd want to run scans for several different things. Shane and I will be happy to recommend reliable, tested, and free software for you to use.  If you don't have one already, a good firewall (such as COMODO) will alert you to anything trying to access your system or anything trying to call out from your system.  Windows firewall ONLY blocks incomming traffic and it doesn't tell you about it (so you don't really learn anything).

Sorry that I'm sort of "ignoring" the CSS monitor specific issues, I know that is Shane's area but I'm hoping that the muli tiered approach will get everything worked out for you in the end.

-Evan

P.S. What do you think of the new Site design? (you can choose themes at the top right, just so you know).

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Very interesting. I wonder if
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2009, 10:19:53 AM »
Very interesting. I wonder if there is an issues with it switching over to the new day in the database.

Also this "04/10/2009 219.509 MB 123.526 MB" is a lot of sent data! that worries me as you seem to be watching how much you use yet it is so high. And since you only have 1 computer I know it not simply file sharing doing it.

So first thing is first, lets make sure your system is clean. You don't use any p2p downloading program do you? I doubt you do, but want to make sure.

Winamp only downloads when it streams it wouldn't cause such a high upload. So what I want you to do is download and run www.malwarebytes.org (I use this to clean all my customers computers) make sure update it when you install it and scan your system.

Also cs fire mon showing your ip changes is ok. under the ip monitor it is checking both your local and internet ip every 60 min. when it changes it lets you know. Your isp seems to change your IP a lot! lol

I need to make a note and try to watch cs fire monitor tonight on my system and see if I can see whats happening. SO far Im thinking it has something to do with the change over in the day as it happens at midnight.

-Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Would the "dialing out" show
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2009, 05:15:27 AM »
Would the "dialing out" show up in NetLimeter? So far I only use MS Firewall. Security -- I run (EVERY week) -- AdAware, Avast, SpyBot, PSI, and Windows Defender (I almost always check new definitions before each run). Last week (maybe week before) I ran MalWareBytes (full scan looking for 'Conficter') I do not have MalWareBytes running all the time since I run Avast. I get clean runs on everything weekly other than PSI (it grinches about my OpenOffice being downlevel). I have no plans to upgrade OpenOffice -- my guess would be that a hacker would pick a better target (something more universally used) than OpenOffice.

P2P -- 'fraid so. My wife runs Limewire when she's not running WinAmp (Lady's got to have her music). Occassionally Avast will 'kill' one of her downloads (sometimes before it finishes the download). Yesterday I set her bandwidth (for uploads) to zero, hopefully that will eliminate LimeWire as a suspect for 'sent data'.

Shane, why do I see some days with 2 entries? Why would my ISP change my IP (I know you can't read their minds, I just thought there might be a 'real' reason for it)?

Evan, don't have NetMeter installed yet.

Shane, I was thinking that perhaps one of the counters used in the hovering code hit a point where it overflowed into never never land (shot a bug like that once).

Would it be helpful for you all to know what we 'typically' run/do? One or the other of us is on this system 21 to 24 hours per day.

Well, got to get back to my poker games.

Mac, always grateful for help.

Update -- I just pulled up NetLimeter and set it to look at just the 17th (day where 'sent' was greater than'rcvd' in CSS. It (NetLimeter) shows 211.7736 rcvd vs 240.1847 sent. On that date CSS showed 280.899 MB sent   253.980 MB rcvd NetLimiter = 4/17 00:00 to 4/18 00:00. Looks like a 40 MB difference on both (plus sent/rcvd reversed).There are 3 'zones' in NetLimeter 'My Computer', 'Local Network', and 'Internet'. I have been using 'Internet' Zone. You think I should switch to 'My Computer'?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Morning
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »
Morning mac!

First, Im a long fan of Avast. I use to use it and put the free home version on every one of my customers computers. But it was a real freaking pain getting a key for every customer lol. after reading the latest report from http://www.av-comparatives.org/ I found avira. www.free-av.com. Turns out it catches more viruses, does spyware as well, doesn't need a key and uses less resources. So as of about a few weeks ago I broke up with avast LOL. put avira on all the systems now. (still love avast though)

I use to use spybot, love that program but mainly use malwarebytes. not sure what PSI is lol and windows defender I uninstall when I see it! Id rather have the resources back. The other apps do a fine job anyways. But this is only my preferences :-)

Ah Limewire. This is your upload hog right here. P2P works by sharing, which means your uploading music as well. Be dang careful with that. It is also the #1 way my customers get infected. The thing about all the protection you run, they are not 100% protection. They can only protect against what they know. When something is known a new virus or malware comes out and slips by. Thus p2p being the best way to spread.

On the 2 entries. CS Fire monitor records data for each network connection. So if I have say 2 nic cards there will be 2 entries. This includes the loop back 127.0.0.1 connection as well. What is the adapter name for the 2nd entry?

If I find out there is a bug in cs fire monitor I will be more than happy to fix and update it. Reason I say that is I have kinda left cs fire monitor on the back shelf doing these other programs and wanting to make a new system monitor app.

Not sure on the data difference with netlimeter. How my app works is every 1000 milliseconds it calls the windows api to pull the current bytes sent and received. This is the total not speed. speed is done by doing the math from the new call from the last call 1 sec ago. So my data comes from the api, which I would image is how netlimiter would do it, but im afraid I don't know.

-Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
Limewire, bingo! Peer 2 Peer
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »
Limewire, bingo!  Peer 2 Peer is always going to suck up bandwidth.  Your wife doesn't have to initiate someone using your computer to transfer files, thats the backbone of the P2P sharing model.  It can be changed, but she will be "penalized" with lower transfer rates.  P2P is the main reason most Internet providers put a cap on it.  We actually had our school's internet shut off due to P2P when I was in college.  That was a huge mess.

The good news is it doesn't look like you have any malware "dailing home", but the bad news is that your wife is going to have to change her habits.  It reminds me of when I used to pay my father for a given amount of AOL hours back when the service was new.

As far as the different zones in NetLimeter are concerned, you're only concerned with Internet Zone.  You don't have a Local Network since you only have one device and My Computer is only concerned with data moving around in your computer, not data moving out (or coming in) of your computer.

Looks like you just have to pinpoint what actually runs through the internet and what runs locally and adjust your habits or buy more bandwidth.  You could always take the approach of doing your favorite activity (poker, WinAmp, Limewire, etc...) and pulling the internet connection.  If the application doesn't work anymore then it was using up your bandwidth.  Next time your wife is on Limewire cut the internet connection, if she gets upset tell her "we hit the cap". :)  Take my advice with your own wisdom and if you have any other questions just ask away.

-Evan

P.S.  Switch over to Avira too, right now it's the best free anti virus.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Limewire, bingo! Peer 2 Peer
« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »