Bookmark and Share

Author Topic: How can I sync up bandwidth reports?  (Read 84421 times)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
How can I sync up bandwidth reports?
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:27:18 AM »
I started using CS Fire Monitor a few days ago bacause I was hit by Hughes Net's infamous FAP. Slowed me down to about silch.nothing, so I went looking for how I could possibly have exceeded 350MB/day to hit the FAP. Sure 'nuf it would appear (still not conclusive) that WinAmp is the culprit (my wife runs it ALL day. So we may have exceeded the usage but never knew it because we mainly use DSL. We only use the satellite when DSL is down.

Somehow though I am not getting my reports cut at the same time as the bandwidth monitor resets back to zero. It looks like the monitor resets counters to 0 at midnight which of course makes sense. My problem is that my daily report gets generated at about 07:30 so the data for that day is only from 0000 to 0730. I set the AutoSave time for 1440 minutes (for 24 hours, so if I got the report at 2359 it would be perfect. I just don't know how to get there from here.

I'm absolutely positive that I mucked this up somehow but I sure need to get it straightened out so I can build up some valid history data to be able to argue with Hughes Net the next time that decide to FAP (they should have called it ZAP - cause you sure are) me.

Any help/assistance/advice would be appreciated.

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

How can I sync up bandwidth reports?
« on: March 31, 2009, 06:27:18 AM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
My cs fire monitor program is
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 08:37:59 AM »
My cs fire monitor program is about 5 years old now. Once I finally get caught up with all these routers I will be making a all new bandwidth montior program. But who knows when that will be at this time.

First how many computers do you have? cs fire monitor is perfect for monitoring 1 computer, but if you have multiple computers and you transfer data between the 2 it will still show up as network usage and so show up in the report.

But there are some router models that have bandwidth history in them.
In fact some free firmwares work on a lot of routers as well.

like http://www.dd-wrt.com is a free firmware that works on a lot of routers.
here is an example. http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2008/09/monitor_your_monthly_bandwidth_with_your_router-2/

So now if you have more than one machine the firmware is perfect as all the computers pull through the one router, and it only monitors the internet traffic not local. So you get a very accurate bandwidth report.

I hope this helps you out on that.

Now can you email me screenshots of what is going on with cs fire monitor that needs fixed?
Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Shane, thanks for the fast
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 08:57:57 AM »
Shane, thanks for the fast response. I have only one computer and I have no router.
I don't believe there is anything wrong with the Monitor, it monitors just fine. Further more, I don't believe there is anything inherently wrong with the report that is generated. The only problem is it just seems like the report gets generated at the wrong time. What I would like is a bandwidth report that gets generated just prior to the reset (which is what I think it does based on the documentation). Perhaps I am getting a report at midnight but it gets overlaid by a new report at around 0730. I'm sure I have somehow misread or misintrepted something. Perhaps I didn't need to do anything with the Autosave? If I had jsut left it alone would I get what I am looking for?

As for screen shots, I'd be happy to send you some but you'll have to take me by the hand and tell me how to do it.

Again, thanks for the fast response.

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
np at all, I just woke up and
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 09:07:26 AM »
np at all, I just woke up and I check the site when I do. Time for coffee though lol

Ok with only one computer than cs fire monitor will be fine for you.
Its been a while so im looking over it again.

First you have the bandwidth reports. which of course it does based on the day, month and all that good stuff. At midnight the monitor resets to 0 as it is a new day.

Then you have Tasks, under monitors. Here you can set to notify you when you go over a limit for the day. Either by email or a pop up window.

on the auto save in the bandwidth report. This is just a auto save of the report itself, not bandwidth monitor. So you don't want to have that set to high. I think that's where the problem is for you.

Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
Let me see if I have this
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2009, 02:41:02 AM »
Let me see if I have this correct. If I set the autosave back to (I think it was 60 minutes), it will overwrite the report every hour. So if I go look at the report at say 3AM the data for TODAY is now a reflection of activity from 0000 to 0300 but the activity from YESTERDAY at 1159 will still be correct. right/wrong?
And then if I look at the report at 0400 it will be the activity from 0000 to 0400 but the data in the report will still have maintained the count from yesterday. right/wrong? I know that this is all pretty simple stuff for you and I do certainly appreciate you taking the time to look at this.

So if I want to maintain an historical record of DAILY use I would need to rename the record file Daily?/Weekly?/Or?  Thanks again.

Mac

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
Ok
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2009, 12:40:11 PM »
that just made my head hurt LOL jk

the auto save is just an option of how often to save the report. But cs fire monitor stores all the bandwidth in the database for every day. so the reports can pull up daily, monthly and yearly. Choose daily for the report and have it save every hour if you like. You will see the daily in every report so no need to rename.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
I see now what you mean, I
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 01:02:00 AM »
I see now what you mean, I looked at the report at 01xx today and still have the data from 3/28. So it is logging the entire database in the report.

However, I now have a different question. When I looked at the report (dated 4/6) shortly after 0100 (probably around 0125) it showed over 800 MB received but when I looked at it about 0230 the report showed about 24 MB. Same day -- just an hour later. Any idea why that would change? Just going by what I saw at 01xx I would have concluded that my system had been turned into a robot but the data at 02xx would have me convinced that all is well.

What you think? Plus I have another question. Can the report be configured to identify where the data is going/coming from/to?

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
the program only reads the
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 06:12:00 AM »
the program only reads the bytes to and from the system through a windows api. it doesn't read any more than that. I would have to packet sniff in order to do that and that's above my head on where I want to go at this time lol

The data base is a access database, if you can you can open it and take a look at the stats. Also mark what day and time for what you seen and if you want I can have you zip the database and send it to em and I can look at the bandwidth in it and see whats going on.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
If you can walk me through
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2009, 08:21:51 AM »
If you can walk me through accessing the database I'll give it whirl. No doubt need to baby step me through getting into a zip file and the address where to send it too.

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
ok the database is
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2009, 12:24:51 PM »
ok the database is in
C:\Program Files\CS Fire Monitor\stats.mdb

its just a standard Access database, so if you have Microsoft office installed you should be able to open it.

If you have a zip program installed you should be able to right click on it and choose add to archive or something of that sort. Then you should get something similar to stats.zip. You email that to me.

Let me know if you have trouble
Shane

(About Shane)

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
A different Bandwidth Monitoring approach
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2009, 07:49:07 PM »
Mac,

I know of a couple of freeware programs that might work very well for you.  As long as Shane doesn't take any offense I'd be happy to recommend 2 alternatives.  I never used CS Fire Monitor to track bandwidth usage...mostly because I didn't realize it would when I first used it plus I had some trouble with the program itself (but that was due to MY computer, not the program).

So Shane...what do ya say?  Shall I help Mac out? or are you two good to go?

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Guru
I will never get upset over
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2009, 08:36:41 PM »
I will never get upset over alternatives. My program is free after all. But it is getting older. been years since I made it and I have plans to replace it. So never fear about helping the user.

Shane

(About Shane)

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
I don't have MS Office. I do
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2009, 04:58:18 AM »
I don't have MS Office. I do have OpenOffice but it didn't like my Java JRE so I gave up on trying to look at the DB myself. However, I did manage to create a ZIP file called stats.zip, so if you will give me your Email address I will send it as an attachment. The times in question would be around 01xx and 02xx on 4/6.

Offline Evan

• Global Moderator
  • PcWinTech Guru
My Network Bandwidth Recommendations
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2009, 06:40:21 AM »
Mac,

If you look to the left side of the page you can find a "Contact Me" for Shane.  In the meantime I believe you should look into using the following 2 programs: NetMeter and NetLimiter.  I've used both on different computers and will provide as much guidance as I can.

From what I can tell you right now NetMeter is nicer looking, allows you to monitor (and record) traffic based on device (probably more) and gives great reports.  NetLimiter, on the other hand, approaches the monitoring on a per application basis that you can monitor in real time.  Both programs are free but If you want the spend about $20 for on lowest paid version of NetLimiter you can also set limits on a your apps.  If I read your previous post correctly (in regards to WinAmp) then this might be the perfect tool.  

I'd be happy to give you some better details and the websites to find each as well some screenshots if you'd like.  Another approach you can look into is to use your router (both OpenSource firmware and built in firmware) to set when your computer will be allowed online.  If you don't have a router, then you can ignore that; if you do have a router, then Shane and I can help you get that set up.

I'll check back in a few hours and see what I can do.

-Evan
About Evan:Site Admin, Tester, Editor

Offline macnext1

• PcWinTech Ninja
The 'contact me' is not an
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 02:45:31 AM »
The 'contact me' is not an EMail address, it is a form to fill out and I didn't know how to attach a file to that. I think I need an EMail address to attach a file using OutLook Express.

The only time we have problems because of WinAmp is when we are on satellite. When she is on DSL, WinAmp is fine (evidently DSL has no linit on data movement). So I don't really need a limiter; since we now know that the culprit is WinAmp she just doesn't run it when on satellite (uses LimeWire instead).

I haven't got a router (been thinking I ought to get one but not thinking hard enough to face up to a purchase).

Mac

PcWinTech.com Forums

The 'contact me' is not an
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2009, 02:45:31 AM »

email