Author Topic: Cannot acquire IP Address.  (Read 23426 times)

LJuliet97

Cannot acquire IP Address.
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »
I have a couple year old dell computer that I tried installing two different Netgear wireless cards into. We also have a Netgear wireless router. We have changed the security twice without any improvement. I tried ipconfig /release, /flushdns without any issue but when I did ipconfig /renew. It came back with the error message: "An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection: Unable to connect your DHCP Server. Request has timed out. I was on the phone with Netgear for an hour and they could not figure it out. I have two other computers that are having no internet issues. Please help. This is so frustrating.

PcWinTech.com Forums

Cannot acquire IP Address.
« on: March 28, 2009, 04:59:07 PM »

Offline Shane

• Top Geek, err uh Dog.
  • PcWinTech Administrator
  • PcWinTech Guru
  • "Knowledge should be shared not hidden."
I run into this alot with my
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:42:54 PM »
I run into this alot with my customers. wiht XP and wireless if the passcode is wrong or not going through right the system wont get an IP because its not truly connected.

Now here is a trick, I use windows to handle the wireless, not the linksys software. XP some times puts the password as the wrong type. like AES instead of TKIP.

SO what I do is go to the stored wireless network settings and change it from to the other. Then they normally start working again. Try that and let me know.

-Shane
(My weekends belong to my wife and kids, I will try my best to answer all posts daily during the work week)

(About Shane)
Site Owner, Top Admin, Lead Programmer, Wife & 5 kids, Needs a lot more coffee.

When people ask "Why fix what isn't broken?" I reply "To make it better."
"Only a life lived for others is a life worthwhile"
Honor & Respect is all that matters.

Owner & Programmer of: www.pcwintech.com & www.tweaking.com

PcWinTech.com Forums

I run into this alot with my
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 10:42:54 PM »